cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Total Rebuild of a 1979 Dodge Class C

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I would say some of you have seen the start of this build that my brother bgriffey had posted, Well I have now bought the RV from him and plan to post the pixs of the build I have found a lot of rot in this RV I have torn out everything on the inside and have the rear opened up and the skin off the lower driver side, I will be buying a camera for my wife for christmas and im sure she will take the pixs if I can learn HOW to post them on here, Please remember its winter here in Kentucky so it will be slow but we will keep the pixs coming, Like I said this will be a total build from floor to walls and roof and custom inside build so I would appreciate all the help I can get this will be my first build and I will be learning as I go so any info will help. THANKS......Tony Griffey.

A new RV can be very expensive and if you already own an outdated RV then you should just consider a complete RV remodel which can be a significant amount of money cheaper than the cost of a brand new model. If you are retired and use your RV to travel then why not save the money for your travels rather than on spending a large chunk of money on a brand new travelling vacation home. When you decide to have an RV remodel done you can have your old model completely gutted and rebuilt to look just like a newer RV and when the work is done you will not even recognize your old mobile home. Going about having a new RV to travel in this way can save you thousands of dollars and you will not have to worry about the payments on a brand new RV home. Many retired people are travelling this way nowadays so they can travel the country and be comfortable while doing it, and there are many others that own these vehicles that they will take on summer family camping trips. The RVโ€™s that are made today are unbelievable and have all of the luxuries of home at a fraction of the size, these make it great fir families and retired folks to travel comfortably, and having an RV remodel done you can make your old RV look just like a brand new one.

Statistics show that the amount of registered RV homes on the road is growing steadily every year, and much of this is due to the baby boomer generation retiring and wanting to travel the country in comfort and style. Having an RV remodel can make your RV brand new. Some things you may want to consider is having all new beds and appliances put in. Since RV appliances are smaller than your normal home kitchen appliances they are much cheaper, and a complete RV remodel will probably cost you anywhere from $5,000 to $12,000, depending on how many changes are being done. The latter price could even be a little more if you are having your RV completely gutted and redesigned. It will still save you a lot of money over purchasing a new RV home. Another thing to consider during your RV remodel is if you plan on just remodeling the inside or if you want to have the exterior redone as well, and if this is the case the project will cost more money but will still be cheaper than buying a new RV. Most of these vacationing and traveling vehicles have a type of siding on them, and the more modern ones are sometimes made of more durable fibreglasses and plastics, these materials are very nice since you do not ever have to worry about rusting.

If you plan on getting a loan out for this remodeling job then you will first want to get various estimates, much like a home remodeling project. Once you get all the estimates you want you can then apply for the amount of money through your financial institution or credit union. The amount of money you need should not be hard for you to get approved for, especially if you have good credit. If you are a retired individual you most likely can take the money out of your pension or 401 funds, and this would be your best bet due to interest rates. Usually the place where you originally bought the RV can do the remodel for you as well, and if they cannot they can usually refer you to someone who can do the job for you. With the popularity of these vehicles constantly growing there are also many new dealerships and shops that specialize in these vacation vehicles. Having a comfortable vehicle to travel year round in or to just vacation in yearly is a great asset and can also be a great stress reliever. It is also a very popular vehicle for families to use on family camping trips, and the nice thing is that if the kids want to rough it while camping they can just sent their tents up right outside the RV.
Without Trucks,....America Stop's
3,483 REPLIES 3,483

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice trucker, we went with the high profile... much easier to use for us older folks....
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Now the only thing that is original is the furnace It has Direct spark
And works great, Everything else in the Old Dodge is brand new.:B

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered the Aqua Magic V,Hi Profile, Foot Flush, White this will do away with any parts problems.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a new water pump last night, I got one with 45 psi the one we have here is week, Low water pressure and I cant stand that, I believe I will order a new toilet today.

thebeach300
Explorer
Explorer
looks fantastic you could build anything great work.

KelliL
Explorer
Explorer
I need to fix the toilet in my '76 also. Been debating between trying to find the parts or just buying a replacement as well. Ours is a wet bath, so I was thinking about just getting a porta-potty instead, and then turning the toilet cutout in to a regular drain. That way you could remove the potty and have more room to shower. Plus, the outside drain on the black tank leaks a little, so this way it wouldn't be such a big deal if it was leaking a little fluid ๐Ÿ˜›

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to repair the toilet in my 76 Class c and gave up very quickly and bought a replacement.... Couldn't get parts for the old one and if I could find anything for it it was 10x the cost of any replacement parts for the new one........

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
We now have running water in the RV, I found a small drip at the Toilet valve, Only when you flush it, Very small drip, I think The toilet is from 1979, I might be able to fix it or maybe just update to a new one, For now I'm gone back out to finish some more.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart wrote:
oldtrucker63 wrote:
I installed the Cook Top and the sink today, Charlene Loves it....:B

Put a pan of water on each burner (or one at a time) and fire up the burner and set it on high for 5 minutes or so - to cook the new-ness (aka: fumes) off of the burners. Otherwise you risk stinking yourselves out of the RV the first time you use the cooktop.

The pan of water is only there to help spread the flame out and localize the heat to the burner.
Thanks man we will sure do that,
This is what is great about this place, The best tips ever come from people that has all ready been there, Thanks again.

lockdoc
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart wrote:
oldtrucker63 wrote:

Put a pan of water on each burner (or one at a time) and fire up the burner and set it on high for 5 minutes or so - to cook the new-ness (aka: fumes) off of the burners. Otherwise you risk stinking yourselves out of the RV the first time you use the cooktop.

The pan of water is only there to help spread the flame out and localize the heat to the burner.

Great advice here! When our 5er was new we just about choked on the fumes the first time I went to make coffee on the stovetop!
2000 Newmar Mountain Aire 4093
Rotax 912 powered parachute
Loving DW, DS& soon to be DIL, DD GS Owners web site

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
oldtrucker63 wrote:

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Really coming together now Trucker... looks awsome.
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

MMarieT
Explorer
Explorer
You are determined to get this done....great!!!!!

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the bath/Shower Tub and hooked up the drain, Added the shower head, Tomorrow I will finish all of the pluming and it will have running water.

MMarieT
Explorer
Explorer
about your back splash...is that plastic or tin or ????? Looks nice...:)