cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

towed vehicle choce

aboeck3
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question regarding the best vehicle to flat tow. I currently tow a 2015 Ford Focus automatic. It is a good little car except for the transmission. I am looking for a replacement vehicle. I have heard good and bad about the Chevy Equinox. I am also considering 2013 or 2014 Honda CR-V. What issue, if any, has anyone had with either of these vehicles or is there a better option
Al & Jane - RETIRED
(Nico, Smudge & Boo - Cocker Spaniels)
2017 Winnebago Journey 42E with 2013 Honda CR-V toad & 2 bicycles (just in case)
Dreams Do Come True
19 REPLIES 19

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
gfs1943 wrote:
K Charles wrote:
Do you want auto or standard? Do you want room to put stuff or just something light? Your "best" might not be someone else's "best". Best for me was something that I could tow without doing anything but hitch up. We traveled three days once and I never looked at the towed and then on the fourth day I unhooked and started it. No fuse no run every four hrs, nothing, and no limit to the speed.

Sounds great! Let us in on the secret -- what is it?

I don't know what K Charles tows, but we tow our 2011 Toyota RAV4 automatic 4WD the same way. We often go several days without unhooking or starting it, the same as we did with the 2002 RAV4 that preceded it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Gottahaveit
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee now. Prev. was a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Love it and the newbie as well.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 Equinox and a 2014 Wrangler. Both are great toads. They have both been flawless.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Do you want auto or standard? Do you want room to put stuff or just something light? Your "best" might not be someone else's "best". Best for me was something that I could tow without doing anything but hitch up. We traveled three days once and I never looked at the towed and then on the fourth day I unhooked and started it. No fuse no run every four hrs, nothing, and no limit to the speed.

Sounds great! Let us in on the secret -- what is it?
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
We have been pulling the same 2001 Wrangler around for 14 years with my $50.00 base plate and she some plows every winter. it's only been in the shop once and that was just a couple months ago because the check engine light was on due to a bad co2 sensor.
I tried to remove it for couple hours and gave up. $75.00 labor and I allready purchased the sensor from Jeep.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

BBminn
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 honda cr-v, easy to hook up and tow.

becker
Explorer
Explorer
We have two vehicles..... 08 Honda CRV and a 13 Jeep Sahara 4dr..... both tow beautifully..... the Jeep is our favorite because you can go almost anywhere anytime..... the Honda is a little to the ground and is not 4 wheel drive..... there are probably others just as good but I have experience with these..... good luck!
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 CRV with a SMI Stay and Play and we like it very much!
Tows great
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
The perfect tow vehicle for us at this moment is a Ford F-150 4x4. We have two kids and this truck fits everyone well and has room in the bed for our bikes. We've even gone off-roading in it a few times.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2015 Cadillac SRX because it was so easy to make towable. Looked at smaller vehicles but figured since the amount of time we would be towing which is little, and the amount of time we would be not towng might as well have something nice to drive. So far very pleased with the car and how it tows.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a TJ 4 down. I even towed it behind our 5th wheel. Does great, but I would rather tow our Expedition if I could. I don't see where that is going to happen.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2014 CRV it's also a toad and daily driver and the last year of the CRV being towed all 4 down. No problems so far at 40,000 miles!

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love my CRV. It's my daily driver and my toad.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Equinox and to us, it's a luxury car. The finish is beautiful in and out. It is extremely roomy with lots of leg room for front and rear passengers and has a lot of rear storage space. We're very happy with it.

If you want to do any fun exploring the backroads we absolutely had a ball with our Jeep Liberty.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel