cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travato MPG...

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I was flipping through the October issue of Motorhome magazine, and the editor's note (Bob Livingston) mentioned a drive in the Winnebago Travato. He stated that what he got on that was "16 MPG under good conditions."

Not earth shattering figures, but decent for a Euro-van gasser, the first that has hit US shores.
35 REPLIES 35

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
I can't even understand your post, but the thread is about Travado MPG.
Your welcome to start a new thread about gas vs diesel.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I like where the discussion has gone. There is supposed to be diesel Promasters in the future
and the gas vs diesel intere see ts me in this regard.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Let's get back to discussing the Travato. The gas vs Diesel thing
has been beat to death.

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
"Gasoline boosted engines have the same abilities but require priemum gas."

Not necessarily. A BMW 3 Series is yes, a Hyundai Sonata is no.

"Look at the trucks used to pull heavy loads, 18 wheelers, construction trucks, farm trucks, etc. They are turbo diesels, period. Why? Mountains of torque with no,worries about pinging (pre-detonation) that will destroy a gas engine."

Huh? There are advantages and disadvantages of engines. Gas engines don't 'ping' with the appropriate octane rating.

"Torque" is just one of Many features of an engine and not important in and of itself. How much work or pulling power of an engine whether gas, diesel, rotary, 4 stroke, 2 stroke, electric is measured in Horsepower.

A 325 hp Chevrolet Express van class b rv will run off and leave a turbo diesel Sprinter class b in a drag race because it has considerably more horsepower, that simple. But if going up a long long steep mountain highway, the Sprinter will ultimately win out. Why? It is NOT Torque. The Express Van does not have the cooling system that will allow using the noticeably more horsepower long enough. Overcoming gravity going up the hill can be noticeable, but traveling 85 mph all day on flat ground is no big deal for the Express Van and after 100,000 miles the cost is less than the Sprinter.

There are many different advantages and disadvantages of a Sprinter vs Express Van with torque not even on my list.

topless
Explorer
Explorer
Cost per gallon of fuel is not the reason I went for a turbo diesel. I went for the increased power delivery that comes from the turbo vs normally aspirated gasoline. Having driven heavy vehicles with both types of engines, a turbo diesel will out pull a gas engine every time. A boosted engine is much more efficient than a NA engine under loads and cruising. Gasoline boosted engines have the same abilities but require priemum gas. I have driven turbo'd cars for years, but when it comes to moving heavy loads, turbo diesel is the best way.
It's not really comparing apples to,apples, the engines are so different and most people are not familiar with turbo diesels. Look at the trucks used to pull heavy loads, 18 wheelers, construction trucks, farm trucks, etc. They are turbo diesels, period. Why? Mountains of torque with no,worries about pinging (pre-detonation) that will destroy a gas engine. It takes a huge gas engine to equal a turbo diesel's torque.

bar_20
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest difference now is the added cost of a diesel engine compared to a gas engine. Ten years ago diesel fuel was cheaper than unleaded regular gas, not today. Where I live the difference between gas and diesel is .54 gal. If the average RVer puts 60k miles on their MH and you get 15 mpg with gas and 20 mpg with diesel the savings for diesel is $1650 over those 60k miles, assuming gas and diesel will keep the same price differential. If the price of a diesel engine upgrade is more than $1650 the extra cost may not be worth it.
Steve & Donalee
2007 Roadtrek RS-Adventurous
2011 KIA Sportage SX
1999 Jaguar XK8 convertible
1948 MG TC
2005 PT Cruiser convertible Toad

love_to_camp
Explorer II
Explorer II
My next unit will be a gasser as long as it has enough torque,the little better gas mileage is eaten up by the difference in the price of fuel and gas is more readily available.

Neverhappy
Explorer
Explorer
Only diesel in those Fiat Ducatos or Peugeot & Citroen (same body) in Europe 2.200 cc or 2.800cc
Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
Quick update: I checked with a local "B" dealership getting ProMaster upfits. They say that 16 is city, and 20-21 is highway. If this is so, it will be nice for long trips.

That is very decent mpg and with a US gallon too which is smaller than our Imperial gallon. So that would be 24 to 26 on highway here which is quite good. I only get 30 average with my Sprinter t/diesel.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
It has been over a month since this question came up.
Anyone hear anything about the Travato MPG?

They are rolling out so I would guess there should be some real world numbers now.

They haven't rolled far enough yet
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

arvie
Explorer
Explorer
YouTube has a new video/still pictures from colonialitasca.

Explorer II
Explorer II
It has been over a month since this question came up.
Anyone hear anything about the Travato MPG?

They are rolling out so I would guess there should be some real world numbers now.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

booster
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
One note about the Dodge Pentastar: As far as I saw, it is a common rail ignition system. Pretty much, turbo or no turbo, it is able to squirt the optimal mixture into the cylinder. Chevy does similar with the VVT (variable valve timing.)

This is one of the reasons why the van gets such decent MPG. Older engines have been upfitted and improved (such as the 5.4 and the Ford V-10 with cam phasors), but this is a ground-up rebuild.

The engine/transaxle engineering is also interesting. Long term, it would be great if Fiat/Dodge can get the AMT (automated manual transmission) technology shifting as well as a hydraulic transmission, because it would improve fuel economy even further.

I think you mean a common rail fuel injection system, which has been the standard for almost all EFI, port injected engines for a long time. I even have a homemade setup on our 1970 Challenger that I put on close to 20 years ago. The deal with port injection, or other fuel injection system, is that you can inject exactly the right amount of fuel, but you can't control getting exactly the same amount of air. So your mixture is not always optimal. The variance is from aiflow differences due to the different paths the air takes to get to each cylinder, and the resistance to flow variations those differences cause. The only way around it that I know of is what they do on race engines when they dyno tune. They put a wide band oxygen sensor right at the exhaust port of every cylinder to read instantaneous mixture, and have fuel injection system capable of changing the fuel put to individual cylinders at every rpm range. It is a huge tuning job a major computation in the EFI.

The newest EFI design is Direct injection for gasoline engines. It is just like a diesel in that the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, but it is spark ignited, not compression. You get the maximum use of all the fuel energy because it always is burned with a surplus of air. Just like diesels do. You basically inject the gas into a recess in the piston, where it is very rich and concentrated, so it will ignite easily. Spark it in its rich state and it explodes out into the pure air around it, being totally burned. The engines you see that are getting much better mileage are almost all direct injection gas. It also allows turbo engines to run much higher boost and compression, as direct injection really cuts down detonation.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
One note about the Dodge Pentastar: As far as I saw, it is a common rail ignition system. Pretty much, turbo or no turbo, it is able to squirt the optimal mixture into the cylinder. Chevy does similar with the VVT (variable valve timing.)

This is one of the reasons why the van gets such decent MPG. Older engines have been upfitted and improved (such as the 5.4 and the Ford V-10 with cam phasors), but this is a ground-up rebuild.

The engine/transaxle engineering is also interesting. Long term, it would be great if Fiat/Dodge can get the AMT (automated manual transmission) technology shifting as well as a hydraulic transmission, because it would improve fuel economy even further.