cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with a cat

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
To the ones that travel with cats, do you keep them in a carrier while on the road or let them run loose in MH?? We have got to start taking our cat Bandit with us. He is diabetic and we have got to give his shots, so now when we go he goes..
25 REPLIES 25

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
I didn't know cats could be diabetic. How did you find that out?

Ours started drinking excessive amounts of water. Took her to vet and blood test showed diabetes. She has never traveled with us, but we have 2 others that do. One spends most of on the road time on wife's lap, other one under her seat.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
We took our 2 cats with us a couple years ago with no problems. Last monthe we took them again and it was a disaster. The youngest one (5) would not eat and lost about 3# in the week we were gone. When we got back home it took us 5 hours to coral them both to get them back in the house. When we go in 2 weeks, for a month, they are staying home with our son.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

randco
Explorer
Explorer
We tried the carrier method at first, but we believe it made them more agitated. Now we simply carry them from the house and put them in the coach. The three cats and the dog all have their places near the cockpit area. They are all very good to travel with.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
A word of caution; make sure your cats are secured in a carrier or in your sight before opening or closing any slides. Several times each year there are threads of cats being injured or killed when they crawl into a space in the slide.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
As others have stated, it depends on the cat. In the past we've had some that would just stay close by and sleep on the couch and others that were too restless, so they traveled in the carrier. Any new fur kids are trained to ride in the carrier because we feel if we ever need to get out in an emergency, it easier to grab the carrier and go. In addition, with the slides in there are too many places they can get into where we don't want them to go.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Our three are loose in the MH. They all find their "safe" spots while underway, then become social again when we stop...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know cats could be diabetic. How did you find that out?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

FC
Explorer
Explorer
Our cat goes every where our MH goes and he has found his travelling spot under one of our recliner rockers. As soon as we start to move he goes into his spot as there is a shelf under the chair. He comes out only if we slow down due to traffic.
JM2CW
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Each cat is different. Experimentation will tell you what yours will do. We had 2 cats (brother and sister) and in all respects they acted pretty much the same except.... when we put them in a vehicle, Theodore would just find a nice place to lay down and was fine, but Kizzi would go absolutely berzerk and would only settle down after a while in the carrier and would start all over again the next time. Vet said she would get used to it. She didn't and had to ride in the carrier at all times.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Some animals get motion sickness, so you may need to be prepared. Has your cat ever traveled in anything before?
IRV2

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've done both a carrier to get her used to the RV on the first trip and, the next trip I just let her roam and that worked better for her.