Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trek vs. Police cars

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
From the Seattle P-I this morning:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/article/Underwear-only-driver-leads-cops-on-wild-5527815.php

I have a hard time understanding how the guy thought he could outrun police and fire vehicles in what looks like a 30' Trek, probably with that way underpowered Isuzu diesel engine.

I don't know how to make the link clickable.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)
23 REPLIES 23

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
To bad about the Trek. The one side view over the reporter's shoulder look pretty shiney. Insurance will probably total it once the police finally release it to the owner.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
frankdamp wrote:
Whatever, a 30' diesel Trek would have a hard time outrunning a Police German Shepard, let alone a patrol car.

I can just see it now... A picture of the suspect vehicle and the officer who chased it down and caught it....

And his bicycle. 🙂
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

klm
Explorer
Explorer
My Mom always told me to wear clean underwear in case of an accident - as to not be embarrassed in ER, I guess. Think this guy's Mom told him the same thing? Jeesh, the craziness is spreading.
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

klm
Explorer
Explorer
My Mom always told me to wear clean underwear in case of an accident - as to not be embarrassed in ER, I guess. Think this guy's Mom told him the same thing? Jeesh, the craziness is spreading.
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
We Cant Wait wrote:
Hey look the poor smuck was just wanting to pick-up the needed supplies at Wal-Mart before heading out in the woods some place to cook up a bunch of Meth.
I'm sure the TV Series Breaking Bad helped fuel these sick individuals.

Mobile Meth Labs were well known to the "community" way before Breaking Bad popularized the concept to the rest of us. It looks like that is what this guy had in mind to be sure. I'm sure he wasn't at Wal-Mart to pick up a gallon of milk.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Clicky

Unfortunately he will be bailed out by weeks end, only get 1 year in jail and only spend 6 months at most,, but if you cheat on your taxes {money that you earned} you will spend 3 years for tax fraud and your house will be taken away..

FACT..

:M...

He might even bail out before the police complete the paperwork!!! Sad.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Clicky

Unfortunately he will be bailed out by weeks end, only get 1 year in jail and only spend 6 months at most,, but if you cheat on your taxes {money that you earned} you will spend 3 years for tax fraud and your house will be taken away..

FACT..

:M...

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever, a 30' diesel Trek would have a hard time outrunning a Police German Shepard, let alone a patrol car. We road-tested one four years ago and were outrun by a city bus away from a red-light. Despite the nice layout, the (lack of) performance is why we didn't buy one. It reminded me of the old 6-cylinder (270?), 4-speed-stick, Dodge powered Clark-Cortez rigs. They couldn't have caught a cold!
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Folks wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Anyone whom tries to outrun the police is certainly not the brightest bulb in the bunch.

You may outrun one police car, but you will never outrun a police radio.

You have to admit, criminals lack of smarts makes them easy to catch. (Of course there a few exceptions)

Actually, in many jurisdictions you don't even have to worry about out running the radio. Police aren't allowed to chase people in cars or motorhomes because it's too dangerous according to some. Of course the fact that now crooks flee in cars about 20 times more often than they used to doesn't ever seem to be considered when Chief's make those decisions.

Agreed and understood, but they chased in this instance.

Often these meatballs are well known to law enforcement, and they can always get him/her another day.

And that's actually part of the problem. There are many agencies who will chase and many more who aren't allowed too. Well the crooks have no idea who it is behind them so they run hoping the officer will stop chasing and then in many cases he doesn't stop. Now what to do? Most keep running. Surprisingly, the California Highway Patrol is one of the agencies that almost always chases. They get in 20 times more chases now as they did 30 years ago because of this.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
Deceptive advertising from Trek. That thig isn't much of a "Pathmaker"

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
That guy's wife had run off with a police officer the year before and he thought the police were trying to return her to him.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
Hey look the poor smuck was just wanting to pick-up the needed supplies at Wal-Mart before heading out in the woods some place to cook up a bunch of Meth.
I'm sure the TV Series Breaking Bad helped fuel these sick individuals.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Anyone whom tries to outrun the police is certainly not the brightest bulb in the bunch.

You may outrun one police car, but you will never outrun a police radio.

You have to admit, criminals lack of smarts makes them easy to catch. (Of course there a few exceptions)

Actually, in many jurisdictions you don't even have to worry about out running the radio. Police aren't allowed to chase people in cars or motorhomes because it's too dangerous according to some. Of course the fact that now crooks flee in cars about 20 times more often than they used to doesn't ever seem to be considered when Chief's make those decisions.

Agreed and understood, but they chased in this instance.

Often these meatballs are well known to law enforcement, and they can always get him/her another day.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer