cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV ANTENNA

mrgarlic
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings from Oregon. I have NEWS. At least it will be for a lot of you. I am absolutely done using my wine guard antenna. This is digital age and antennas have gone digital. I bought a small TV for my office in my home. We don't connect to cable or satellite. I didn't want to go up in the attic to connect to the antenna. I read about digital antennas and decided to try one. FANTASTIC. it will bring in all of your local stations. Some of them have a hefty price, however this one was only $18.95. It is just a 12" piece of plastic and a cord.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DIFIM36/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
7 REPLIES 7

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The "old VHF" channels are about to get a new life, so don't toss em out too quickly
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
A proper Winegard (either the latest version or the earlier version with WingMan add-on) with good connections to a working power plate, will defeat all comers when it comes to deep fringe reception.

Thing to remember here is that the "old VHF" (channels 2 - 13) may display with those numbers but they're now assigned to UHF channels (14 and up). This is why we need WingMan or a late model antenna that's optimized for UHF.

An old Winegard with WingMan works well, but a newer one with WingMan integrated with it works still better. WingMan is a $29 part and a complete new head, WingMan and all, is only $43. Makes sense to simply replace the head and get the latest capability.

And yes, they're all Digital. HD and all.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Since the FM radio band is smack in the middle of the standard broadcast TV band, I use a piece of twin-lead for my radio antenna.

I cut a piece to 10 meters and solder the ends together (both ends). Cut one side only in the middle and then solder as much lead-in to my tuner as needed.

Place the looped section as high as possible and bend it 90 degrees right in the middle where the lead-in connects.

Connect the lead-in the to radio connection.

Gets all the FM and AM stations in every direction. For an omnidirectional TV antenna it works just fine also.

The fickleness of the women I love is only equalled by the infernal constancey of the women who love me. George Bernard Shaw
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can pull in digital TV signals using a metal coat hanger........

Digital is all about the tuner in the TV NOT the antenna being used.

I have a small flat 8X10 RCA antenna on den wall for both TVs in house....but for the 5vr I'll use the Winegrad crank-up/rotating antenna because out in the toolies camping I need to AIM the antenna towards the towers to get a signal.

Something that is difficult to do using a flat mount antenna.
Just lucky that outside den room wall at home points towards transponder towers in my area.

Digital antennas.....great marketing but like majority of advertisements just a bunch of woo-ha
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
First of all there is no such thing as a digital antenna, period. And if thats what the salesman convinced you of, you got taken, sorry.

The first time you get out in the boonies this will become painfully obvious
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad it's working out great for you. But, to be clear, there's nothing magic about a digital antenna vs the older analog ones. The station is still transmitting the signal on good old VHF/UHF frequencies.

Many stations moved their digital signals up to a UHF band during the transition -- when they were broadcasting both. And many of those moved back when the move to digital was complete.

My good old RadioShack Antenna from the 80's in my attic is pulling in the digital stations around here beautifully.

What some manufacturers do is see an antenna with better UHF reception capabilities as "digital".

But, what the hey, for under $20 if it works...
Great!

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Those are static mount antennas which have limited range, and must be mounted in a certain way toward the signals. That's not really desirable in an RV since it needs to be able to park in any direction. This is why the adjustable Winegard and Jack antenna systems are better for RV's.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad