cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Two Dolly Questions ???

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a new car, but it can't be towed 4 wheels down........so thinking of a tow dolly. I've never had one. So, I'm looking for any and all comments, pros and cons concerning the use of a tow dolly. Thanks
Brian

PS: I assume any front wheel car can be towed on a dolly, like a Ford Escape?
37 REPLIES 37

Toogreys
Explorer
Explorer
Oldme wrote:
The OP said "I'm looking at a new car, but it can't be towed 4 wheels down".
That limits the OP to a dolly.

I see a lot of comments against his only option, by people that do not use a tow dolly. I fail to understand why.

We have had an Acme EZ dolly for 3+ years now.
All welded construction and American made.
Built in Surge Disk Breaks and LED lights.
There is NOTHING else to buy or install.
Tongue weight is under 50 lbs.
Total Weight is under 400 lbs and at age 67+ I can easily roll it around.

Setup is around 10 min and we are off and running.
I took reflective tape and marked where the ramp center need to be so
when I setup they are ready.

The unit tracks well and I have to remember to check that it is there.

Simple, easy and effective.
We are pleased with it.

Old me. I just purchased a used master pro dolly so haven't had the opertunity to use it yet. You mentioned you used reflective tape and marked where ramp center need to be. I am not sure what you are talking about. Can you explain so a dummy can understand?
Thanks!
Captain Stan, First Mate Laura
HMC (AW), USN, RET
1 Kitten, Tabitha, Our other Kitten Tut waiting at the Rainbow Bridge, 2 Dogs, Tatyana & Thaddeus & 1 African Grey Parrot named TC
2003 Southwind no Dingy but looking

brokeagainbutno
Explorer
Explorer
After reading all the posts by dolly users, I must be the only dolly user that made a wrong turn and ended up someplace that I could not turn around. Had to drop the car, unhook the dolly, manhandle the dolly, turn the MH around, reconnect the dolly and load the car. AS someone said, you cannot back the dolly loaded or unloaded more than a few feet without it jackknifing.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Tow dolly is a little more work but gives you lots more choices of toads and costs less than 4 down gear. Seems every year there are fewer 4 down vehicles available.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
a few months of storage fees (for a tow dolly) would make a set of base plates (for a 2nd vehicle) seem CHEAP !
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

JoeGrape71
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at both options, Tow Dollies and Tow Bars. Both have pros and cons. I liked the Tow Bar for its simplicity, cost and storage option but the option of only being able to tow one vehicle behind my RV kept holding me up. The Tow Dolly offered more vehicle options and seemed less of a hassle but then storage was a bit of a concern as I only towed a couple times a year so it would just sit there with no use in my driveway. Then I came across the flatbed option which allowed the Tow Dolly to be easily converted into a utility trailer when not being used for towing. The option of two trailer options in one sealed the deal. Now I can haul my van behind my rv when needed with the Tow Dolly and any other time I just attach the flatbed, which takes about a minute and I can haul my motorcycle, lawn tractor or even run to Lowes and get lumber for the new deck I am building. Pretty great option and the cost was not that bad either.

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I'd be ok on paved surface,but might need to hook up to whatever I tow for uneven surfaces. The Harbor Freight wheels sounds like I good idea. I'll Google it. Thanks again
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight has a very handy little dolly for moving trailers. It consists of two wheels with a trailer ball mounted above them, and a handle for towing it. Just put the ball in the trailer hitch, pull down on the handle, and walk away. It works great for my tow dolly and my little flatbed ATV trailer. I even used it now and then for moving my 18 foot flatbed car hauler (it wasn't easy, but it worked).
I modified my little dolly to make it easy to break down and put in the basement compartment of our motorhome.
It is a great little gadget!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Jbird wrote:
Having read through this thread,I think I understand most of the advantages and disadvantages to each system. I'm considering a tow dolly but Im concerned about moving it by hand on uneven surfaces. Any advice from folks using a tow dolly would be appreciated. One post refers to 400lbs with 50 lb hitch weight. That sounds like a problem to wheel around? I know I could add a hitch to the toad, but hitch/unhitch would get to be a real session.

If you buy a boat trailer style tilt wheel tongue jack (about $30) you can raise/lower the tongue without having to lift it manually. Makes hitching up very easy to any tow vehicle you want to use. The wheel on the tilt jack makes it easy to roll the dolly around on a relatively smooth surface. At home I move the dolly around with my riding mower. While traveling if I want to move it to store while staying somewhere for an extended visit I use my toad vehicle. The wheel on the jack makes it easy to shift the dolly a bit to hook up, but unless its on a paved surface I don't try to move it much by hand.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
Jbird wrote:
Having read through this thread,I think I understand most of the advantages and disadvantages to each system. I'm considering a tow dolly but Im concerned about moving it by hand on uneven surfaces. Any advice from folks using a tow dolly would be appreciated. One post refers to 400lbs with 50 lb hitch weight. That sounds like a problem to wheel around? I know I could add a hitch to the toad, but hitch/unhitch would get to be a real session.

I have an American Car Dolly- weighs about 400 and 50 lbs tongue sounds about right. I am not having any problems moving it around (I'm in my mid 60s' and not in too great a shape).

You can attach a swing up or drop down wheel stand on the tongue and move it even easier if concerned. I might do that some rainy day but that's not something I need to do at this time. As I age I might make that addition for a few bucks.

My driveway is uneven and a bit rough (plenty o' pesky pine cones), but I unhitch it after the vehicle is off and roll her about 50 yards back into its slot.(Most of it slides up under the rig when I want more room) I don't have any major slope to mess with so its relatively easy.

I could attach it to my pick up and move it as an option or leave it attached to the rig once the car is off- but I find it easier to maneuver around by hand in my case when the car is off.

I think I'd have to compare it to something like my Jon boat and motor. It is easier to move the dolly because its shorter and less mass. I move them both by hand (neither is fun to move when off pavement or compressed gravel)- the dolly is easier than the jon boat and trailer.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Jbird wrote:

i don't see how adding a hitch (aka base plates) to the toad is a "real session" -

When driving the toad, while traveling - I don't even bother removing the tow bar extensions.

The items only weigh a few lbs & it literally take no more than 60 seconds to connect or disconnect the toad to the tow bar.

To remove the base plate / tow bar extensions its a matter of pulling a pin & then removing the device....3-5 lbs at most.

The base plate / tow bar extensions insert into a 1 inch receiver (there are different styles but almost all work the same) & are easily stored (if you wish) when not in use.

Don R.

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
haha This topic comes up all the time and everybody swears by their choice. Both systems work fine. After all the hot air, if you own and want to tow a car that can't be 4 down a tow dolly or trailer are your options and plenty of folks use them just fine. Some even haul their dream cars in enclosed trailers which provide the ultimate in protection for an expensive toad. If you own or intend to buy a 4 down towable, then going that way is a very good choice. I would never tell someone what they should do. I would try to help them understand the pros and cons.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
supercub wrote:
I'm looking at a new car, but it can't be towed 4 wheels down........so thinking of a tow dolly. I've never had one. So, I'm looking for any and all comments, pros and cons concerning the use of a tow dolly. Thanks
Brian

PS: I assume any front wheel car can be towed on a dolly, like a Ford Escape?

Ok by now you have read all the responses. So why do you want to complicate your life by buying a car you can't tow 4 down?
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
blknomad wrote:
I have read several of these post of people who are downing the use of tow dollies and I'm pretty sure I know what you are doing.
First, tow dollies as are trailer axels are made with a certain amount of caster and toe-in so it will self center after a turn same as a car. If your receiver is not the proper height it won't track straight.
Second, If your straps get loose, you didn't put them on properly. I may have to add a click to the strap ratchet but not often.
Third, How do you hook up your 4 down in the rain? The tow bar pins, the safety cables, the light wire, how long do you have to idle and run through the gears to oil the trans? How often do you stop to do this? Did you pull the fuse? Install brake controller? Must be Magic.
Fourth, I can back my dolly and car just as far as you can your 4 down.
Finally, DW and I can load our car and strap it less than 10min. and unload it in 2min.

If you decide to go with a tow dolly, get a good one It will be cheaper than having nice car butchered to install tow hooks and having to buy a brake controller.

Sorry I had to vent.

I've connected & disconnected in the rain plenty - no biggie....connect/release 2 pins, connect or release 2 chain hooks and plug in or remove the electrical....its 60 seconds TOPS.....Im sorry you're spending 10 minutes in the rain.

I don't need to lube or run thru the gears in my Jeep's to lube the trans periodically....pull the transfer case into Neutral & your done.

Theres no fuse to pull either....and i don't have to leave the key in the ignition to keep the steering wheel unlocked either.

no butchering necessary EITHER - base plates are made to fit, no bumper, frame or body modifications necessary....baseplates BOLT on (thru the frame) using factory bolt holes....its almost like Jeep BUILT the Wrangler (and others) KNOWING they would be towed....oh thats right they DID !

i guess your right....my toad is more magic and much less hassle that i realized....thanks for pointing it out to everyone !
Don R.