cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Dolly Questions ???

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a new car, but it can't be towed 4 wheels down........so thinking of a tow dolly. I've never had one. So, I'm looking for any and all comments, pros and cons concerning the use of a tow dolly. Thanks
Brian

PS: I assume any front wheel car can be towed on a dolly, like a Ford Escape?
37 REPLIES 37

nbargolf
Explorer
Explorer
Only can tell you about my experience with a dolly. Towed a small PU
behind my large truck to get it to the shop. driving about 60 mph on an interstate the dolly started to whip from side to side yanking the big truck rear end back and forth. I almost lost the whole rig. Let off the gas and coasted to a stop, checked everything no problem. NEVER use one of these again. We tow 4 down with our motor home and don't know it's back there. have done this for approximately 40,000 miles not one problem.

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Master Tow tow dolly. Make sure you check the wheel base and dolly dimensions. Our Santa Fe wouldn't fit on our older Car Caddy dolly. Too wide. Electric brakes are also nice for slowing down quicker. They cost a little more. You can't back up with a car loaded on a dolly. I don't think it is any more painful than anything else. If I had two thousand dollars to put into a car that I might sell in a couple years, I would consider pulling four down. My dolly cost $1100. I like that.
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
tow dolly costs less than a good 4 down system, I own multiple fwd cars and tow any of them, I only stay in nice rv parks with good pull thru sites, I don't have to modify my toad, surge breaks are simple no electrical hook ups other than lights, hitch on my toad allows me to easily move the dolly if I want to, tilt wheel on dolly tongue makes the dolly easy to maneuver or raise or lower. attaching straps is easy with a little practice, 5 years towing without a single problem, won't have to modify the next car I buy, won't have to modify the next MH either either way you go a toad of any kind is one more thing to bother with but a necessary evil, either way works so personal choice dolly costs less and has more flexible use, 4 down is physically easier especially for older folks or those with physical limitations I am 73 and no prob loading on first try just pull up to ramps get out and check alignment, correct if off slightly, then drive on, easy peasy, I have a master tow but others are good too
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed both ways (4 down and dolly) over the past 30 years of RVing. I think its a personal preference thing having done both. Now I am firmly in the dolly court as I have saved money on the set up and find the hooking- load out no different than my four down experiences.

I tend to challenge myself each loading of the dolly and of late have been averaging right at 10 minutes. Always seemed to take me that long with 4 wheels down.I could be on the road that fast but then I goof off and tend to go back and check my loading to make sure I got it right and secured. I don't find loading in the rain much different as either way its no fun to me.

I do stop and check my dolly straps after the first 5 miles or so as they will loosen. But usually after a couple more clicks on the ratchets I'm good with no adjustments from then on(I check every stop just to make sure.

I can swap out to a new FWD car every week or so (no I really don't do that) as my wife is picky about the car. No sticks, clutches or 4 wd's allowed by the DW and she likes her compact cars.

I went the swivel table route with electric brakes, spare dolly tire, and a break away switch. Mine has a controller built on to the dolly. Been running her for several thousand miles now and I really like the dolly set up.

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using a tow dolly. I've never towed 4-down. When you first use the dolly to can be intimidating and time consuming. However, after a few times it becomes easy.

I rarely unhook the dolly from the MH... no real reason to unless the site you're pulling into is not long enough or not a true pull-thru.

Where I'm at now, I had to unhook the dolly because they have only back-in sites. There is enough room to store the dolly and park my car. Getting ready to leave tomorrow, I hooked the dolly up this morning. Took me 10 minutes. You have to put the hitch on the ball, hook up 2 safety chains, 1 emergency brake cable and the light connection.

I usually takes me 2 or 3 tries to get the car lined up, but once done, you have only to wrap the straps around each tire and connect the chains around the frame. Again, only about 10 minutes. I've never had to do any of this in rain or snow.

I thought about 4-down, but it would have required that I trade in my almost new car (Kia Soul) and then pay someone to make the modifications needed to tow as well as buying a Brake Buddy or something similar, for braking.

I'm very happy with my dolly.

Mike

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I owned and used a dolly for 2 years to use for our civic which can't be towed 4 down.

Pros:
-It's pretty universal to a lot of vehicles
-nothing permanent to do to the towed vehicle.

Cons:
-In the rain it's nearly impossible to load a car
-in the snow it is impossible to load on a car
-straps are a pain
-takes much longer to hook, unhook
-storage
-another axle and wheels to maintain
-heavy to move around
-you have to find a spot for it at a CG - although ours fit under the rear of the mh, but I had to manually put it there since you can't back up. Fun if you have a hilly site or gravel.

In a nutshell a dolly is an option to tow a car when you don't have a car that can be towed 4 down. But it's a HUGE hassle. HUGE. Some on here will tell you it takes no longer and it's just as easy. And I call BS. I've done both.

We recently got rid of the civic for a CRV and 80% of the reason was to be able to tow 4 down. It is so much easier. Before it took me about 10-15 minutes to set up the dolly - this is contingent on how many times I have to line it up to center it on the dolly, put on the straps (dirty and cumbersome chore and super fun in the cold or rain). With my new setup it literally takes 3 minutes and that's only because I have to let the car idle that long. Hookup and disconnect takes about a minute. I don't have to line up perfectly because the arms articulate. Just 2 pins, chains and plug in the electric. I don't have to crawl on the ground and wrap my hands around the wheel to set up straps. Once I smashed the front of the civic on the dolly trying to load it in the snow and the car slid off the ramps and hit the front fascia. I could not wait to get rid of the dolly.

I am loving life 4 down. There is no comparison. I would strongly urge you to consider a vehicle that can be towed 4 down.

But like I said, a dolly is an option. But let's face it, if every car could be towed 4 down, dollys would cease to exist.

And no, not all front wheel drive cars can be towed on a dolly. Check the manual.
2013 ACE 29.2

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't say any car can be towed on a dolly. Check that the escape can be since I don't think it's just has front wheel drive. I believe it's an all wheel drive that normally applies most of the power to the front wheels. I haven't messed with an Escape newer than five years old though.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
An FWD auto can be towed on a dolly. Where one gets into trouble is with AWD vehicles, many of those must be trailered. One of the big gripes I read about is where to stow the tow dolly while camped, this is kind of a silly argument as the dolly will remained hooked to the MH, so there is no storing it.

Choosing between electric brakes and surge brakes, we went with surge brakes as we did not want to have to do any wiring to a brake controller.

As for the many choices out there, they are all good, we chose the Master tow dolly because it was on Craig's list and it was the lowest cost of the ones offered. We are the 3rd owners of it and it still works like new.

I am sure others will pipe in with things I have missed. Good Luck on your search.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity