cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultimate mini-camper

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't recall seeing this posted here although the article is from 2011, and I can't really tell if these are Class B or Class C. They are a maximum of 11 feet long by 6.6 ft high... by Japanese auto rules.

I want one... I think it would fit in my underground parking garage.

Japanese kei camper
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
49 REPLIES 49

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
The Japanese government is actually putting pressure on its domestic carmakers to phase out kei-type cars. Seems the Powers that Be think more Japanese should be buying bigger cars! See this report.

It was that article that led me to googling pictures of kei-cars and in the mix was the cute little RVs. As I recall from the article, the reason that the government wants to phase them out is not that they merely want the Japanese to buy bigger cars, but that they are not exportable... and thus add little to the local economy. Japan must export to make money.

I don't think these would pass the safety tests here... but I could be wrong.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Good find! The Japanese have always had some neat / ingenious / space efficient vehicles for the home market. These are yet another example, but yes, it sure would help to be small. I'm impressed.

I was in and out of Japan from '68 to '71. I remember the nifty tricycle pickups that hauled all types of goods to the little stores. The ones I remember were a little smaller & older than this one, I think.

Jim, "My spirit animal is the gummy bear."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
"Kei" is an actual category of vehicle in Japan- one that's never really made it over to these shores. Link
There are many variations, from basic autos to "pickup trucks", all of them real small. The class is VERY popular over there.

But get this:

The Japanese government is actually putting pressure on its domestic carmakers to phase out kei-type cars. Seems the Powers that Be think more Japanese should be buying bigger cars! See this report.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

reppans
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in Tokyo as an expat for a couple of years and used buy their RV magazines regularly. Couldn't understand a word, but loved seeing their efficient, ultralight, ultra-small, minivan-based RVs. Wait till gas moves up a few more $$ per gallon and we might see some of those come to the US.

Then again, the average American is larger and growing more so.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
That is super Sw-e-e-e-t!

I want one, too. Wonder how much it'd be to get one over here...Wanna go in together and see if we can get a Volume Discount? :@
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien