cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uncle Sam strikes again

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the city limits and in a subdivision that does not allow RV parking on your lot. So years ago I built a shop in the county and the MH lives there. The MH was addressed at the shop and I paid county taxes and no city taxes. Sounded fair. Now, the city says I owe city and county taxes since my residence is in the city. My beef is that it lives in the county, if it catches on fire I call the county fire dept, if someone breaks into it I call the county deputy, when I dump the waste tanks it goes into my septic tank, there is no legal designated RV parking spot anywhere in the city limits. So I have no choice but to pay the $2200 tax bill on a 6 year old MH. Sounds unfair to me...I am beginning to support those Montana MHs more and more....
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
56 REPLIES 56

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
I love states like TN. Pay sales tax when you buy it and you're done. Doesn't matter where you keep it, insure it our use it. And it's a one time tax and not an ongoing year after year thing. Annual tags are like $29/year.

I don't know why folks live in places that tax everything on and on and then have all kinds of stupid regulations telling you what you can do with it. Only thing is dislike more is HOA's. Why anyone would ever live with one of those is beyond me.

As a Tennesseean, I agree, we have a great tax system. In the city, we are at about $106 per car/truck/motorhome regardless of value and in the county, $60ish (can't remember exactly) for tags.

I disagree on one thing, I like HOA's (we have two, TN and CA, that are gated and guarded). Keeps the neighborhood clean, safe, orderly and I don't have to worry about anything.

Safe travels,
MM.

Why on earth ar you paying all that on vehicles. City tag tax?
It's 24.00 to the Sate per year and that's is it.

OK Downhome,

Here is the breakdown....

Registration.......21.50
Clerk...................2.00
Issuance..............2.50
Wheel Tax..........50.00
Muni Fees..........30.00
---------------------
Total $106.00

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought the MH, I filled out a form for a "Housed Address Change". All was well then as I paid county taxes only after that. As of this year, the tax bill came to my home in the city and not the shop in the county as in the past. Somehow, the address was changed to my city address. I was told by a real estate attorney that the county was cracking down on incorrect addresses. Our county sheriff's website even has a link to report out of state tags. I don't know how the address got changed but now the county says I owe county and city taxes but they won't make me pay the back city taxes. I may seek out a tax attorney as the tax auditor answers only to the state governor.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
If you have VA property on the Potomac river across from MD I think you could avoid VA property tax on a boat if you keep it on a boat lift over the Potomac since technically that is MD waters and it never enters VA?
bumpy

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Virginia with local personal property tax. I have two campers on seasonal campsites in Bedford County, a boat I keep in Bedford County 7 months out of the year, and a golf cart I keep there as well. I pay Bedford County taxes on all of those items. My home is in Albemarle County and my Durango, Solara, and American Cruiser (class B) are registered in Albemarle and I pay taxes to Albemarle County on those items.

When I initially registered and financed the boat, I registered it in Albemarle. After I paid off the loan, I transferred the boat from Albemarle to Bedford (where the taxes are cheaper and the boat spends the majority of the year), I simply had to take a Bedford tax receipt in to the Albemarle tax clerk and they removed it from their books. I didn't want to transfer it while I still had a loan on it because of the hassle with the finance company.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
ToySprinter wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
I love states like TN. Pay sales tax when you buy it and you're done. Doesn't matter where you keep it, insure it our use it. And it's a one time tax and not an ongoing year after year thing. Annual tags are like $29/year.

I don't know why folks live in places that tax everything on and on and then have all kinds of stupid regulations telling you what you can do with it. Only thing is dislike more is HOA's. Why anyone would ever live with one of those is beyond me.

Could not agree more,
Signed-A fellow Tennesseean

+1. I would rather pay up front and be done with it.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
What is the address listed on your insurance policy for the RV?

I'm curious about that too.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
What the heck does it have to do with Uncle Sam????

It's the "Big Brother" concept. Also known as regulation, taxes, control, power, dominance, etc. I'm sure he knows it not the federal government. I think it is just his expression regarding his frustration with the governing authority. Surprising that nobody has picked up on that.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:

As a Tennesseean, I agree, we have a great tax system. In the city, we are at about $106 per car/truck/motorhome regardless of value and in the county, $60ish (can't remember exactly) for tags.

I disagree on one thing, I like HOA's (we have two, TN and CA, that are gated and guarded). Keeps the neighborhood clean, safe, orderly and I don't have to worry about anything.

Safe travels,
MM.

Why on earth ar you paying all that on vehicles. City tag tax?
It's 24.00 to the Sate per year and that's is it.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:

Shush! We're being overcrowded.
Don't tell everybody or our taxes will go up. 🙂

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
What the heck does it have to do with Uncle Sam????
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
AikenRacer wrote:
I live in the city limits and in a subdivision that does not allow RV parking on your lot. So years ago I built a shop in the county and the MH lives there. The MH was addressed at the shop and I paid county taxes and no city taxes. Sounded fair. Now, the city says I owe city and county taxes since my residence is in the city. My beef is that it lives in the county, if it catches on fire I call the county fire dept, if someone breaks into it I call the county deputy, when I dump the waste tanks it goes into my septic tank, there is no legal designated RV parking spot anywhere in the city limits. So I have no choice but to pay the $2200 tax bill on a 6 year old MH. Sounds unfair to me...I am beginning to support those Montana MHs more and more....

Its a County Issue.

Taxes in the City of Aiken

"The City of Aiken collects property taxes on all Real, Merchants, and Personal Property (other than vehicle-all vehicle taxes are collected by the Aiken County Treasurer)......."

"Tax Corrections & Errors

VERY IMPORTANT! All property assessment changes or error corrections are made through the Aiken County Tax Assessor’s office and NOT through the City of Aiken. Please visit their website at http://www.aikencountysc.gov or by phone at 803-642-1583 for more information. By State Law, the City of Aiken is not authorized to make any changes to your tax records. All corrections, including name and address updates, are sent to the City of Aiken by the Aiken County Tax Assessor’s office."

ToySprinter
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:

Could not agree more,
Signed-A fellow Tennesseean

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
At what address is the RV registered. I suspect that this is the first and last question that needs to be answered.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?