cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

vehicles that be flat-towed

RECVEH2005
Explorer
Explorer
Is there somewhere a current list of vehicles that are able to be flat-towed behind a motorhome? We are considering a gas motorhome.

Mike
Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA

2013 GMC SRW Crew Cab 3500 short-bed D/A
2013 HitchHiker Discover America 300 FK
20 REPLIES 20

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
A point not made yet is to pick a car that you would want to use as a daily driver. Everyone's preference is differant, for example a Jeep makes a good tow vehicle I just would not want to drive it on a daily basis, some don't mind.

You're so right about the DD and I've always recommended that.
DW had a Miata with auto tranny and I have an F-150 2x4 auto, so we did without for awhile. Then low and behold the big boys began to scare her on the road so opted for a Wrangler and the sport car days are over. It's pretty nimble and she loves it as a mall crawler and I like it for it's off road capabilities.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
A point not made yet is to pick a car that you would want to use as a daily driver. Everyone's preference is differant, for example a Jeep makes a good tow vehicle I just would not want to drive it on a daily basis, some don't mind.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
... and if you travel in the western states you'll find more Jeeps. ๐Ÿ™‚ Jeeps can give a lot of off-road entertainment. Everyone is different in needs and that's o.k.

Trip was through the southeast and I think it was pretty even between Jeeps and Hondas. With just a 300hp CAT, my biggest concern is toad weight.

Are you kidding me and at 35ft, the engine should be of no concern, unless you feel the need to be KING OF THE HILL. Our CAT C9 amazes me with the way it pushes our 41ft, with well over two tons of Jeep over the mountain tops and seldom drops below 5th gear overdrive, so even if you should drop into 4th, no biggie. Given you might be about 50HP under for the length, but then you could be closer with a weight ratio of around 29K-30K GVW in lbs. and maybe don't even weigh that. Just comparing apples to apples here, with no consideration to GCWR.
In fact with our old gas coach it did very well over the same terrain and was all over the Rockies. This with the Jeep being a good ton overweight for that coach (GCWR) and solely because of the Chevy tranny limits. Had to be careful on those long 6% grades, or it would go into limp mode. Never overheated the 7.4, though.
Besides all that, not all cars weigh 4500lbs, either.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Thank goodness for my Saturn great towing car since 03 with over 35,000 mile behind coach
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
... and if you travel in the western states you'll find more Jeeps. ๐Ÿ™‚ Jeeps can give a lot of off-road entertainment. Everyone is different in needs and that's o.k.

Trip was through the southeast and I think it was pretty even between Jeeps and Hondas. With just a 300hp CAT, my biggest concern is toad weight.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

RECVEH2005
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I really appreciate all the help! You folks are super! Thanks much; this will be a new venture for us after 19 years of fiver towing.

Mike
Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Dingy Tow guide and list

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
As a follow-on to rockhillmanor's post, we already had a paid for car we liked a lot that weighed well under our towing limit, a 2002 Toyota RAV4. We did find that we needed to install a Remco transmission lube pump to make it 4-down towable, but the cost of that was considerably less than the cost of trading in the car for a make/model we would not have liked as well. I installed the pump, base plate, and wiring myself, and we towed that car for about 30,000 trouble free miles. When we were ready to buy a newer toad, I found that everything on the 2002 RAV4 would swap right over to the then new 2011 RAV4 that we liked, except the base plate, so that's what we bought. We've now towed our 2011 RAV4 nearly 20,000 trouble free miles. My whole point being that towing a car we really liked was more important to us than the extra cost of modifying it for towing. Don't tie yourself down to only those on some list. Do your research...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
On the flip side of using lists of cars. This is how I arrived at what type of car to buy to use as a Toad for the MH.

Find what type of car you like. One that can also be utilized in your family when not being towed by the RV. How many it can seat and cargo area and that the car weighs 'under' the weight your MH is rated to tow.

Look in the 'manufactures' 'Owners Manual'. Under the section recreational towing it will state whether the car can be towed 4 down or needs a dolly.

And, if you are buying the car from a dealer NEVER EVER listen to the salesman that says "Sure this car can be towed 4-down". Always check the owners manual. And if the manual is not in the glovebox make the salesman get it for you. :W

I ended up with a Chevy Tracker 4dr, 4x4. Seats 5 and still has cargo area and when back seats folded down had a huge cargo area.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
FWIW, I did an informal survey last winter of what's being towed (I looked at every class A going by to see what they were towing), and it seems the overwhelming majority were towing either a Honda CR-V or some version of a Jeep.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

damntough
Explorer
Explorer
For information about Ford 4 wheels down towing, refer to the documents on the following sites.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many that can. So many options out there. The thing we settled on after a lot of though was a Toyota Yaris. The reason for this is they tow 4 down (standard trans), they are SUPER light and we never question weight. They are rock solid in reliability. When we visit mountains they are super fun to drive too and incredibly nimble around mountain bends. The MPG is awesome if you want to take a 3-4 hour trip out. Also the reliability is that of a Toyota... There are people that have driven these little 4 cylinder cars for 500k+ miles. You can get a good used one for $5500 to $8k.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I did an informal survey last winter of what's being towed (I looked at every class A going by to see what they were towing), and it seems the overwhelming majority were towing either a Honda CR-V or some version of a Jeep. I did this because I expected that after renting cars every time we needed groceries, we'd decide to get something we can tow. I've settled on a CR-V.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

RECVEH2005
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, folks, I'll get to work checking the references out.

Mike
Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA