cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Intrusion repair question

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
My upper right rear corner has sprung a leak. We caught it before any significant damage occurred. I have a beautiful, 4 color, full body paint job and I do not want to scratch, damage or dull this very expensive paint. My question is this;

I need to remove the outer corner edging that runs from the bottom of the coach to the top roof line then clean the old sealant and apply new sealant and reinstall the outer corner trimmer. What product should I use to remove the old sealant and thoroughly clean the outer surface before applying the new sealant and trim piece?

Thank you
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd
17 REPLIES 17

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Water will travel inside a roof or wall on an RV. Are you sure the leak is in that spot? I once had a leak that dripped on my head in the driver's seat on turns. The water leak was actually at the rear on the place where sidewall and roof met and hidden under trim & caulk.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

dlt123me
Explorer
Explorer
Explorer1016 wrote:
OK. I have the wheel ordered from Amazon.

Next question. The adhesive of the vinyl wall paper on the interior wall board has released causing the paper to wrinkle. The moisture wicked through to the interior and the luaun wall board started absorbing the water similar to a sponge. In my effort to get that interior corner dry, I pulled that section of wall paper off.This is a very heavy vinyl wall covering and I will need to replace it once I have the exterior corner sealed up. Where can I find this vinyl wall paper covering. I realize I may not be able to match it exactly but it is a neutral color without a lot of creative design in it so if I can find a similar match I hope to blend it at the inside corner and an area close to the wall opening at the slide.

I found a company that sells the interior vinyl wall board but the adhesion of the board to the insulation and framing itself is intact. the wood was only wet and not rotted so my best and easiest choice was to leave the wood alone and just remove the vinyl covering. That wall board was in the neighborhood of $165/sheet (4'x9' sheet)plus shipping. Pretty expensive, plus replacing the wood will make this a lot more difficult.

You guys have been very helpful. Again.......Thank you

Dennis

Good question. I have the same problem in my Motorhome. Looking for a cheaper solution as well..
Belief does not change reality!
Online Radio Station: Coronal Winds Radio

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
OK. I have the wheel ordered from Amazon.

Next question. The adhesive of the vinyl wall paper on the interior wall board has released causing the paper to wrinkle. The moisture wicked through to the interior and the luaun wall board started absorbing the water similar to a sponge. In my effort to get that interior corner dry, I pulled that section of wall paper off.This is a very heavy vinyl wall covering and I will need to replace it once I have the exterior corner sealed up. Where can I find this vinyl wall paper covering. I realize I may not be able to match it exactly but it is a neutral color without a lot of creative design in it so if I can find a similar match I hope to blend it at the inside corner and an area close to the wall opening at the slide.

I found a company that sells the interior vinyl wall board but the adhesion of the board to the insulation and framing itself is intact. the wood was only wet and not rotted so my best and easiest choice was to leave the wood alone and just remove the vinyl covering. That wall board was in the neighborhood of $165/sheet (4'x9' sheet)plus shipping. Pretty expensive, plus replacing the wood will make this a lot more difficult.

You guys have been very helpful. Again.......Thank you

Dennis
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go.

Decal Eraser Wheel
2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard of the Pinstripe Eraser called a "Vanilla Wheel." I didn't have any luck with that term in a search engine. There's a brand of custom auto wheels and that flavor of Vanilla got all the hits.
But I remember hearing that NAPA had the Vanilla Eraser.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Explorer1016 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
They sell that edging by the roll. I would buy a new roll of it instead of cleaning the old. That shrinks and you will have a hard time replacing it after you take it off.

I have had to replace it because it shrunk and pulled out of the bottom edge where it starts.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a new roll of it. You can't buy just what you need you have to buy the whole roll but it will come in handy later if you decide to keep the coach a long time.

Any RV service department carries it in stock.

My corners are metal trim pieces, not the plastic inserts. All of my stuff is body color paint as well which makes this a challenging task. If I make a mistake it could cost anywhere from $700 or more to repaint. That is why I am so appreciative of these responses.Dennis

Ok, well best of luck on the repair, good you caught it early.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
DaHose wrote:
There is something called a "pinstripe eraser". It is literally a big rubber wheel you can put on the end of a drill and it rubs off pinstripes. You must be careful not to burn the paint, but I see lots of feedback that careful use gives good results. I wouldn't be surprised if a pinstripe eraser would work well to rub off the old sealant and preserve your paint.

Jose

Jose,
I will check into this. Thanks

Dennis
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
If none of those are successful, look up De-Bond. It is a marine product and not cheap, but it will make most sealants let go.

Matt

Thanks Matt
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
They sell that edging by the roll. I would buy a new roll of it instead of cleaning the old. That shrinks and you will have a hard time replacing it after you take it off.

I have had to replace it because it shrunk and pulled out of the bottom edge where it starts.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a new roll of it. You can't buy just what you need you have to buy the whole roll but it will come in handy later if you decide to keep the coach a long time.

My corners are metal trim pieces, not the plastic inserts. All of my stuff is body color paint as well which makes this a challenging task. If I make a mistake it could cost anywhere from $700 or more to repaint. That is why I am so appreciative of these responses.

Dennis
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If none of those are successful, look up De-Bond. It is a marine product and not cheap, but it will make most sealants let go.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
Some good info. thanks guys
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
There is something called a "pinstripe eraser". It is literally a big rubber wheel you can put on the end of a drill and it rubs off pinstripes. You must be careful not to burn the paint, but I see lots of feedback that careful use gives good results. I wouldn't be surprised if a pinstripe eraser would work well to rub off the old sealant and preserve your paint.

Jose

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
hmmm... never had mineral spirits eat cured paint on any of my vehicles.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel