cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Pressure Concerns

dperkinstx
Explorer
Explorer
Another newbie question...Someone mentioned water pressure can vary from place to place. He said if the water hookup has too much pressure it could result in my RV blowing seals, developing leaks, etc.

I went to Home Depot and found (in the water sprinkler section) a fitting that will connect to a water hose and limit water pressure to 25 PSI. Is this a good idea or overkill?
11 REPLIES 11

Turner__P
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Camping World regulator for several years with no problems but apparently they can wear out. I parked at my daughter's house in Charlotte and hooked to her water spigot. Found a nasty leak and blown seals in the water pump, which I had to replace. My Leprechaun has a set up where incoming water goes through the pump it was just too much pressure.
Paul T

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
I have a Watts regulator from HD set 45 psi. This regulator controls pressure and allow great water flow.
Watts pressure regulator.
The hose fittings will add a few more $$ to cost.
I never hook to a park water system without a regulator being at the spigot first.

x2
don't get the $9.00 walmart special, get a decent one.
bumpy

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
icanon wrote:
One thing I may add is watch for garden accessories as they are not lead free. You need to buy one that is lead free and approved for drinking.

That is true, you can get one that is as good as those expensive ones and still do the job. Like this one
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
45 to 55 psi is the goal. The WATTS that others have mentioned is what I have.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ronfisherman
I have a Watts regulator from HD set 45 psi. This regulator controls pressure and allow great water flow.
Watts pressure regulator.
The hose fittings will add a few more $$ to cost.
I never hook to a park water system without a regulator being at the spigot first.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I may add is watch for garden accessories as they are not lead free. You need to buy one that is lead free and approved for drinking.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Yes shoot for regulator of 45-50 PSI. 25 will leave you wanting in the shower.

Also- I've found very low water pressure in campgrounds more common than high water pressure. I've had some where the water literally stopped in the shower. It doesn't hurt to check water pressure with a cheap screw on gauge..especially during peak usage times. Operate off the tank water in instances where water pressure is too low.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
buy a good regulator like the one pictured above. you can also buy them on amazon.com

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
RV water lines/fittings are typically rated to 80 psi. We have stopped at a campground where the owner advised folks checking in to be sure to use a pressure regulator because the city supplied water was at 150 psi. We stayed at another campground once on a mountainside (in West Virginia). Water pressure was fine up at the top, but if you got a site down near the bottom of the campground, the water pressure was, um, a bit high. Hooked up the hose, and with no nozzle at all on it, it launched a full hose stream of water that hit the ground over 50 feet away.

And the others are right, 25 psi will have your showers and faucets merely dribbling. You won't like it at all.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Overkill...But, you are on the right track. A good water pressure regulator is certainly a good idea and may save you from some grief.

You will not be happy with 25psi.

Spend the money for a quality adjustable regulator...set it for around 50 psi. and hook it first to the campground spigot then your hose.

One good source is>>>>RV Water filter Store Regulators...LINK

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's too much of a reduction. Go to WalMart or someplace that sells RV items and get one that reduces the pressure to about 45 psi.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.