cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

water problem

placethefive
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a new class c mh Forest River Sunseeker, 25 ft. 2017. at the time of purchase, I received a 25 ft. water hose. We used this hose 6 or 7 times with no problems. After several times, I realized that I was close to water. So, I purchased a 10 foot hose. My problem is, every time I connect the short hose to the city water port, it fills my fresh water tank over night. Seems crazy but it does happen and the service folks can not fix it. Anyone ever heard of this?????
11 REPLIES 11

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
placethefive wrote:
We purchased a new class c mh Forest River Sunseeker, 25 ft. 2017. at the time of purchase, I received a 25 ft. water hose. We used this hose 6 or 7 times with no problems. After several times, I realized that I was close to water. So, I purchased a 10 foot hose. My problem is, every time I connect the short hose to the city water port, it fills my fresh water tank over night. Seems crazy but it does happen and the service folks can not fix it. Anyone ever heard of this?????

It is not that the service folks can not fix it, it is that they do not want to. They have to fix under the warranty agreement.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Only 2 things it could be.

1: Anderson Valve
2: Water pump
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Long hose...short hose-----doesn't matter. That has NOTHING to do with overfilling your fresh water tank

Only 2 ways water goes into fresh water tank
Via the 'normal' fill (either gravity fill port OR 'FILL' valve)
OR back-flowing thru pump via internal check valve

SO if you have a gravity fill port...........then pumps internal check valve is allowing back-flow

IF you have a 'Fill' valve ---it could be leaking thru, not closing OR pumps internal check valve

If you have a 'Fill' valve you can disconnect suction line at pump and then using city water see if water back-flows out of pump.
No back-flow then FILL valve is problem
Back-flow then pump check valve is problem

With fresh water tank full....secure city water and turn on pump. Use up the tank allowing flow thru pump to flush any stuff off pump check valve

IF 'Service Folks' can fix it---then it's because they do NOT want to or they are NOT someone I would want doing ANY repairs
Overfilling fresh water tank is a very common issue.....pump check valves and/or fill valves being problems is common
This can't be the first time these 'Service Folks' have had to deal with it
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I discovered I had the same problem but not hose length related. My problem was the check valve in the water pump head was leaking. For a temporary fix I installed a check valve on the output side of the pump. Problem solve. I will bet it will backfill the tank with the longer hose but as you said it doesn't, it is a mystery to me.

To me, it seems the dealer should be responsible for the problem until he can prove it is a faulty pump and the pump manufacturer is responsible but the dealers job to get reimbursed not yours.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

FDAER
Explorer
Explorer
Just a guess, maybe with the short hose the pressure is hitting the check valve full force. With the longer hose pressure is a bit more gradual. To test this theory with the short hose, I would just crack the water valve just so the water starts to flow, wait 30 seconds to a minute then gradually open the valve all the way.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2019 GMC 2500 SLT All Terrain 4x4

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
If you fill your fresh water tank with only a gravity fed hose, then the only way to back fill your tank is in reverse through the water pump. Normally there is a built in check valve in the pump.

However, if you fill your fresh water by swinging a valve while connected at both the shore water tap, and the side of your rig with a hose, then one would suspect a very small amount of water bypass in the tap or valve instead of the pump.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Try getting a water pressure regulator. Sites where you use the short hose may have higher pressure and causing water to bypass the pump check valve, if so you may need to rebuild the pump or replace.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the water pressure perhaps higher where you use the shorter hose?

Is there a gravity fill port underneath the city water connection that might collect drips from a hose that's not sealing well?

placethefive
Explorer
Explorer
Strange, but I can not make it happen with the long hose.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Weird and unexplainable!!!
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I would be willing to bet that the length of hose is of no consequence and if you went back to the 25 footer the same thing would happen. There must be a check valve in the line to the tank that is hung open BUT I am not sure.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)