cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weep holes....REALLY?!

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
I intentionally waited for a severe rain storm to check out an Itasca Ellipse at my local RV dealership. The full wall slide was extended out. Water was pouring in from the middle of the full wall slide and on to the dining table.
After the rain subsided and the water was removed the salesman stated that the leak was due to "blocked weep holes". He pointed out two small holes located outside at the top of the slide out about 10 feet apart. The holes were about pencil sized diameter.
I was stunned by his answer. I assumed the weep holes were to allow any water that accumulated on top of the slide to slowly drain out before retracting the slide back in to limit any puddles on top of the slide that may end up on the floor inside. How can a blocked weep hole allow water inside the RV?
What am I missing here? thanks........
28 REPLIES 28

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Teeshot1939 wrote:
I intentionally waited for a

severe rain storm

to check out an Itasca Ellipse at my local RV dealership. The full wall slide was extended out. Water was pouring in from the middle of the full wall slide and on to the dining table.
After the rain subsided and the water was removed the salesman stated that the leak was due to "blocked weep holes". He pointed out two small holes located outside at the top of the slide out about 10 feet apart. The holes were about pencil sized diameter.
I was stunned by his answer. I assumed the weep holes were to allow any water that accumulated on top of the slide to slowly drain out before retracting the slide back in to limit any puddles on top of the slide that may end up on the floor inside. How can a blocked weep hole allow water inside the RV?
What am I missing here? thanks........

Yes blocked weep holes CAN and does let water to back up into the window tracks and then into the coach and run down the wall. Depending where you park these weep holes can get clogged up routinely. I check all the windows and clean the weep holes regularly.

AND

If the RV is

not perfectly level and tipped ever so little to one side

.....in a strong rain storm the water running off the roof will overflow the weep holes on that side and again the water comes inside. Making sure RV is level rectifies that situation.

Been there done that, watched it happen.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Mile high, it's not really brand bashing, it's a poor design. When other manufacturers are using various slides and don't have this issue it begs the question why a design would be chosen to allow water intrusion. It would scare me, if I had this unit in storage and bugs like mud daubers decide to plug it, it will sit getting water in the coach every time it rains until I find out about it. It's a lot different than a clogged house gutter - which is pretty noticeable the first time it rains. Each brand has their share of silly designs so don't take offense - it's not personal. Some brand's slides fail altogether - so...
2013 ACE 29.2

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Well, I've known about mine since I bought it. Doesn't take too much nose time in the manual to realize some of this stuff.

The weep holes are to drain off the slide locks on the large full wall power gear slides. If they don't drain, water can come in through the slide lock.

Boy, doesn't take long for the brand bashers to step up on the soap box and offer no help whatsoever. They offer negativity without even knowing what it is they are talking about. I thought this was a friendly helpful forum - but it just isn't.

Oh Boy! Thanks for this info, Mile High. Never knew this but know exactly where mine are after your description. Easy to do with a pipe cleaner. Have never had leaks on ours but will simply add this to routine inspections.

It's much easier to bash instead of help I suspect.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like another very poor design.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Mile High, I also had never heard of weep holes in the slide out room. Learn something everyday!

How long is the drain pipe for the weep hole? It's not the whole height of the slide is it? I can't tell much from the pictures.

Safe travels,
MM.
They are only an inch or so - they drain the well the slide lock sits in above that black plastic cover. The drain more or less takes the water out the side and then straight out through the wall.

There were a lot of things my Dealer didn't mention, but he sure talked about those weep holes 🙂
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

mbrooking
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Mile High, I also had never heard of weep holes in the slide out room. Learn something everyday!

How long is the drain pipe for the weep hole? It's not the whole height of the slide is it? I can't tell much from the pictures.

Safe travels,
MM.

My weep hole pipe is short. Just long enough to go through the side wall. Ours stopped up and we had a leak inside. Not bucket fulls, but a slow drip out of the lock mechanism. After I got up and cleaned the weep hole all was good.
2010 Winnebago Journey 40L - Current
2019 Newmar Mountain Aire 4018 on order
2014 Honda CRV - Towed

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why wouldn't it be just like eave troughs on a house. Keep them clean, no problem. Don't ever clean them and water backs up under the shingles and into the house wall. Windows will leak if the weep holes at the bottom are never cleaned, water will back up into the wall. That explanation makes perfect sense. But, I would want them cleaned and then re-check to see if water still comes in.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is pouring in I'd look at the TOP of the slide.. There should be a wiper seal

IN my case there was about a half inch gap between top of slide and said wiper

I used foam tape to build up the top of the slide... Leak ... Vanished.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I've known about mine since I bought it. Doesn't take too much nose time in the manual to realize some of this stuff.

The weep holes are to drain off the slide locks on the large full wall power gear slides. If they don't drain, water can come in through the slide lock.

Slideout Lock Drain Line
If your coach is equipped with electric
Slideout Room Travel Locks, it is recommended
to periodically inspect the slideout lock drain line
(located near the top of the exterior slideout
room).
NOTE: Depending on the length of your slideout
room, there may be two Slideout Room
Travel Locks. Therefore, two drain lines
will need to be inspected (typically one
located on each end of the slideout
room).
It is possible for dirt and debris to collect
inside the drain line and cause obstruction, not
allowing water to drain properly. If the drain line
is plugged, use a small tool (i.e. pipe cleaner) to
dislodge any debris. Failure to comply may result
in water backing up inside the drain line,
resulting in water leaks and/or property damage.

PS, the slide lock covers can be removed to access the slide lock to operate it manually if you have a bad motor or it jams - also something to be aware of.

Boy, doesn't take long for the brand bashers to step up on the soap box and offer no help whatsoever. They offer negativity without even knowing what it is they are talking about. I thought this was a friendly helpful forum - but it just isn't.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
YES, there are weep holes. YES, they need to be cleaned about a year. A pipe cleaner works great!!
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
My full wall slide has slide locks at the top, will check the next time it is out for drains, 06 Pace Arrow.

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
This is on a 2013 Itasca Ellipse. The "weep holes" are at the top of the slide near where the slide toppers attaches to the slide. (nothing to do with slide lock mechanism).
In other words, when the slide is extended out, the 2 weep holes are about 24" from the slides rubber seal. Why blocked weep holes would cause a leak thru the seals is a mystery to me.

Bruce_Brown
I have to admit, I am floored that any builder would design a slide where if a designed in weep hole got obstructed it would cause an internal leak. There are so many better choices on how to build a slide lock system - like every other manufacturer has chosen to do, the choice to build it this way is nothing less than baffling.

Apparently cleaning the slide weep holes is now as important as making sure the roof glue is still holding. :S
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910