cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weigh Station

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a dumb questions but I don't know the answer so here goes.......

If driving a class A MH, do you have to stop at weigh stations along the interstate or is that just for Semi's?
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser
35 REPLIES 35

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Passin Thru wrote:
NO STATE in the US requires Motorhomes to stop period. Read Md commercial law NOTE the CMV!
5. What is the definition of a commercial vehicle?

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations have defined a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) as noted below. Maryland has adopted this definition for commercial vehicles that operate only within state boundaries (intrastate).

CMV definition:
Commercial motor vehicle means any vehicle operated in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater; or
(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
(4) Is used in transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding.
If it said all vehicle over 10k must stop they'd be lined up to Kalamazoo and in 4 million miles of driving I've never seen a cop run a MH down for passing the scales.

This is a definition of commercial motor vehicle and doesn't address scales. Axle and wheel weight limits on the highways apply to all motor vehicles, not just commercial motor vehicles. So it would make sense to weigh other vehicles if they wanted to and thought there was a problem.

I posted a link to a Google image above. The sign in the image said "Motorhomes" on it in the blank spot when I passed it about 6 years ago. Since I had just passed the state line I thought the sign had said that motorhomes must stop at all scales, but when I looked at the sign on Google I see it was directing motorhomes to the next exit where there was a scale. Maybe the "motorhome" sign is removable and South Dakota just puts it up on occasion to spot check motorhomes. But I will say I did not take the next exit and didn't go through the scale and the State Police did not chase me down.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
W4RLR wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Been all over the country in different RVs and have never once gone into a weigh station. When towing the 32ft race car trailer I am over 70ft and its never been a problem. Once in NC near Durham I got taken back to the scales while towing the same trailer with the F-350 duelly. They checked all my paper work and sent me on down the road----don't know what they were looking for.
Race trailer to law enforcement means trailer contains a vehicle that is used in competition and that in their mind is a business, which would mean you are operating commercially. Thus you would be required to go through the weigh station, be in possession of a CDL, and your vehicle be in compliance with Federal motor carrier standards. That would mean a US DOT registry number displayed on the vehicle.

And a health certificate,
and fuel permit
and licenses for the states,
and be in drug testing consortium,
and...
and.....
and....

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
NO STATE in the US requires Motorhomes to stop period. Read Md commercial law NOTE the CMV!
5. What is the definition of a commercial vehicle?

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations have defined a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) as noted below. Maryland has adopted this definition for commercial vehicles that operate only within state boundaries (intrastate).

CMV definition:
Commercial motor vehicle means any vehicle operated in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater; or
(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
(4) Is used in transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding.
If it said all vehicle over 10k must stop they'd be lined up to Kalamazoo and in 4 million miles of driving I've never seen a cop run a MH down for passing the scales.

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Been all over the country in different RVs and have never once gone into a weigh station. When towing the 32ft race car trailer I am over 70ft and its never been a problem. Once in NC near Durham I got taken back to the scales while towing the same trailer with the F-350 duelly. They checked all my paper work and sent me on down the road----don't know what they were looking for.
Race trailer to law enforcement means trailer contains a vehicle that is used in competition and that in their mind is a business, which would mean you are operating commercially. Thus you would be required to go through the weigh station, be in possession of a CDL, and your vehicle be in compliance with Federal motor carrier standards. That would mean a US DOT registry number displayed on the vehicle.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I have ever seen a weigh station open in Mass. I'm not even sure where that are any in Mass. Everyone that I can think of has been closed for years.

I drive by one in CT ever week and its almost always open. I've never seen an RV in it.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
Effy wrote:
Clay L wrote:
Some Maryland residents have posted that Maryland does requires motor homes to stop.

No, MD does not require a MH to stop at a weigh station.

Just for grins I looked up this post HERE and some MD residents called the MD highway department and found that the law now does require motor homes to stop but it isn't being enforced.

The following is in the FAQ section of the MD Department of Transportation web site.
"8. What vehicles must go through weigh stations in Maryland?
All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce may be subject to a safety inspection.
9. Does a rental truck hauling personal property have to stop at weigh stations?
Yes, if it weighs more than 10,000 pounds. However, these vehicles may not be subject to a safety inspection."

Well honk my hooter. I don't stop, don't plan to either, just add this to the list of reasons why we are moving from MD. It's a difficult and expensive state to live in.
2013 ACE 29.2

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
. . . .

Washington is also one of those states whose weight station operators turn the scale readout so you can read it thru the window when the station is closed. It's a great place to go weigh the rig (when the station is closed) without having to hurry like at a commercial scale. Plus it's FREE.

Same in British Columbia.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
Effy wrote:
Clay L wrote:
Some Maryland residents have posted that Maryland does requires motor homes to stop.

Just for grins I looked up this post HERE and some MD residents called the MD highway department and found that the law now does require motor homes to stop but it isn't being enforced.

The following is in the FAQ section of the MD Department of Transportation web site.
All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce may be subject to a safety inspection.
9. Does a rental truck hauling personal property have to stop at weigh stations?
Yes, if it weighs more than 10,000 pounds. However, these vehicles may not be subject to a safety inspection."

typical maryland commie ******".... "MAY" not be subject to inspection...subjective to someones freekin' mood !

if theres no weight restrictions for private vehicles why even bother weighing them....oh i know - its tax opportunity for the state !

Hell a pickup truck w/ a motorcycle or 2 in the bed of the truck could qualify as needing to stop....stupid bureaucraps !
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Clay L wrote:

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I actually found the sign I referenced about. It was on I-90 going West into South Dakota. If the link below works you can see it. But it looks like they removed "Motorhomes" from the sign. You can see it says "Buses-___" There is a blank after buses where it used to say Motorhomes. The sign says "Next Exit" and at the next exit is a scale.

Google map link

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can tell you I went to Wisconsin and back to California a couple of years ago. I passed through a state (I can't remember which one now, but I think it was Nebraska) that had a sign at the state line that said "Commercial Vehicles and Motorhomes over X weight must stop at scales." I don't remember the weight that was on the sign but I know I was over it. Then when I came to the first scale there was a sign that said RV's didn't have to stop at the scale so I didn't.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
The only state we have been to that requires a stop at it's border is the California, Agriculture Inspection. Here they raided our fridge of the tasty Arizona nectarines we had just bought. You would think they should know, flying insects don't know a state line.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Weigh Stations are for Commercial Carriers only in the State of Washington! They don't want Motorhomes or pick up trucks driving onto there scales.

Washington is also one of those states whose weight station operators turn the scale readout so you can read it thru the window when the station is closed. It's a great place to go weigh the rig (when the station is closed) without having to hurry like at a commercial scale. Plus it's FREE.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd: With so many responses in an active thread, it is hard to tell who is speaking to whom unless the poster is mentioned.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006