cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What did you do to your Class A MH today???

Rich_Panganiban
Explorer
Explorer
This is always a fun thread to watch, so I thought I would start one here.
2007 Jayco Greyhawk - Kodiak 32SS
'00 Subaru Outback Wagon
5,655 REPLIES 5,655

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
Upon my last brake inspection of our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT, I found a slightly leaking left rear hub seal. It was not that bad so, we went on our pending trip. About 1500 miles later, I thought I'd take another look, not knowing how long it took it to get that way in the first 49,900 miles. Well, it's only a tad worse but, since I had it half way apart, I figured what the heck, might as well do it.

This kind of job is not all that hard. The hard part is, the heaviness of each of the wheels and tires, the drum and, even the hub. So, if you plan on taking on a project like this, be prepared for some heavy and awkward tire/wheel combos and that drum.

Anyway, with the correct tools, gear-reduced "Torque Multiplier", the 450 lb. torqued lug nuts came off very, very easily. Then the drum, which I used a motorcycle jack to remove, what a piece of cake with that jack. Then, the hub, I needed 4" hub nut socket for that.

Then, the removal of the seal. I used a Snap On "claw footed" crow bar for that and, it worked flawless. I cleaned all the parts and, ordered up the seal. Incidentally, that seal is right at $47.00, wow, for a seal?? Really!

So, in the pics you'll see that there is some migration of the diff oil on various edges and some parts but, not enough to contaminate the brake shoes etc. So, I finished cleaning all the brake area, return springs, S-cam etc. I had to make a seal installer tool because this seal is so large that you could damage it by trying to install it with the old hammer and flat punch way. Boy, that's the way to go. So, all back together and better than new. A fun but, laborious project.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Well installed new fan clutch and installed the coach battery, Engine battery tomorrow.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Took the TV out of the front (a flat screen that I had put in some years ago). It had stopped responding to the remote so we bought a new remote before heading off to Mexico last fall. Still didn't work! Won't work on a generic remote nor to any settings on the Starchoice Satellite remote. Then we realised that it must be the TV receiver! :S

I'll take it into the shop tomorrow.

The micro/convection in the stick house seems to be running a bit cool so I'll take it in while I am at it. It's the only oven we have so I hope they fix it quick!

We do have a gas oven in the rig--guess I could bring it down the drive closer to the kitchen!

UPDATE:

The shop we have been going to has closed--retired. Took it to a new place; Tony's TV Service. Tony too is Chinese (as was the owner of the previous place). I noted a certificate on the wall showing his qualification in electronic service. From Lima, Peru! We had a great conversation in Spanish! I had worked in Radio/TV repair decades ago. DW and I winter in Mexico so my Spanish in of a conversant level though far from fluent.

Got a phone call early afternoon the TV is ready, $89.00. Could have been worse. Now I just need to get it back in. Thinking about a different mounting system which will require modification of the cherry wood cabinet face. Thinking is the operative word. :h

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
Changed the engine oil, greased the chassis, changed the Allison spin on filter and changed the oil in the generator. That's enough for today. :B
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
toomoxy wrote:
Got all loaded for the weekend away at Kalamazoo, MI
Sent my RV to the Ford dealership to get the Oil Changed and filled up the Propane tank.

On the way back home my steps kept going out on me...
I returned to the local Ford Dealership begging them to fix ASAP which they did.
Said wiring was worn and causing a short... phew
They put all new wiring and better quality connectors

After this ... I thought FINALLY I will have an uneventful weekend away at a dog show...

Well I forgot to "knock on wood".. 5 hour drive I arrive and set up.
My friend brought pizza and I hooked up and turned everything on, admiring
my "hotel on wheels" ...

but I kept hearing a sssssss sound under the sink and could not see anything...
My friend said "oh it is probably the water heater filling up... hmmm made sense...

After we finished dinner I noticed the noise was not stopping and opened the
cabinet door to see a flood under there...

Thankfully this was Thursday and RV techs work MOn-Friday (and of course when do you need them for repairs ??? does not make sense)

so I drove 30 minutes to
a repair shop who after a few minutes told me it was my faucet that had a crack in it.
So they just capped it all off for me so I could use all other water sources
until I could buy a new tap. They didn't have time to install anything for me.
They said they reason it happened is most likely because it was
not winterized properly ...WHAT ??
Geesh... Of course my RV shop went bankrupt the previous week or they would have
gotten an earful !

Well the weekend came and so did WINTER...
OMG froze my butt off, as I packed for summer...

I went through more than half my propane tank
trying to keep the temperature comfortable in my motorhome...
When a friend said to me ... "we always have electric heaters with us as most
sites have hydro included in the camping fee"... hmm yes that would have been wise..

I was reading online that most regular kitchen taps would work in an RV so I guess
I will be shopping for new taps and some electric heaters this week.LOL

So my Camping Turmoils continue for yet another year... zzzzz

On a good note despite the almost hurricane weather, my canopies stayed put, thanks to
my following a friends advise of "Always stake your posts and the ropes no matter what"
so in the rain while setting up, I did take extra time to secure everything and it sure paid off.

Loved your post. DW refers to moments like that as "Blog Fodder". To see why, check out our blog. :S:E

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Sterilized the water lines and adjusted the air in all six tires. Almost ready for the first trip of the season
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

toomoxy
Explorer
Explorer
Got all loaded for the weekend away at Kalamazoo, MI
Sent my RV to the Ford dealership to get the Oil Changed and filled up the Propane tank.

On the way back home my steps kept going out on me...
I returned to the local Ford Dealership begging them to fix ASAP which they did.
Said wiring was worn and causing a short... phew
They put all new wiring and better quality connectors

After this ... I thought FINALLY I will have an uneventful weekend away at a dog show...

Well I forgot to "knock on wood".. 5 hour drive I arrive and set up.
My friend brought pizza and I hooked up and turned everything on, admiring
my "hotel on wheels" ...

but I kept hearing a sssssss sound under the sink and could not see anything...
My friend said "oh it is probably the water heater filling up... hmmm made sense...

After we finished dinner I noticed the noise was not stopping and opened the
cabinet door to see a flood under there...

Thankfully this was Thursday and RV techs work MOn-Friday (and of course when do you need them for repairs ??? does not make sense)

so I drove 30 minutes to
a repair shop who after a few minutes told me it was my faucet that had a crack in it.
So they just capped it all off for me so I could use all other water sources
until I could buy a new tap. They didn't have time to install anything for me.
They said they reason it happened is most likely because it was
not winterized properly ...WHAT ??
Geesh... Of course my RV shop went bankrupt the previous week or they would have
gotten an earful !

Well the weekend came and so did WINTER...
OMG froze my butt off, as I packed for summer...

I went through more than half my propane tank
trying to keep the temperature comfortable in my motorhome...
When a friend said to me ... "we always have electric heaters with us as most
sites have hydro included in the camping fee"... hmm yes that would have been wise..

I was reading online that most regular kitchen taps would work in an RV so I guess
I will be shopping for new taps and some electric heaters this week.LOL

So my Camping Turmoils continue for yet another year... zzzzz

On a good note despite the almost hurricane weather, my canopies stayed put, thanks to
my following a friends advise of "Always stake your posts and the ropes no matter what"
so in the rain while setting up, I did take extra time to secure everything and it sure paid off.

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced two 12 volt batteries with two Duracell EGC2 6 volt golf cart batteries.

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking it is getting almost warm enough to put a coat of wax on the motor home. But I'll wait another week or so to make sure.:B

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
Nothing -- I'm retired now.

X2

Jim_Nina
Explorer
Explorer
Installed new tv in bedroom.
Jim,Nina & JJ

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing -- I'm retired now.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Rewind
Explorer
Explorer
Had our black and grey tanks cleaned by a great guy here in Newberg Oregon.

Cleaned them out and showed the results with a camera. Lon Seidal of All-Pro Water Flow did an outstanding job.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced the original latches on the W/D door with magnetic latches. I don't think we can bend those. Door closes and rides fine. Traveled 150 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway, north from Asheville with only two of the three latches installed, they held fine. Anything that holds together on that run will hold together on most any other highway I am likely to venture on to. Another 150 miles tomorrow.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

reubenray
Explorer
Explorer
We started to pack all of our stuff in it today. Now we can get the car in the garage again. Once everything is in it I plan on getting it weighed to see what needs to relocated. As of right now I have a lot of empty storage left.
2017 Newmar Ventana LE4037
2016 Chevy Equinox