cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Did You Do To Your Class B Today ?

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
I see the other types of RV's having this type of thread. I did a search and could not find one here. 🙂

Yesterday, I drove mine to work to "excercise" it. I have driven it to work twice in the two weeks I have owned it.

In the two years I owned my Class C, I drove it to work ZERO times. :E
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds
1,574 REPLIES 1,574

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Filled with propane, filled with fuel. Checked the tires and found a metal valve stem had been rubbing on a wheel cover. Hope I fixed that situation......
Checked the oil. Tweaked a 12 volt outlet install I did last week. Sanitizing the water system.
Still loading "stuff" for the fall trip
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I had my Sprinter serviced and then took it to Discount tire for a tire rotation as previously mentioned. I also topped off the propane and checked the two wet cell house batteries. It took a little over a third of a gallon of distilled water to top off the cells that didn't look all that much down (about a half inch). You forget you are not filling just a little round hole but a full plate. I noticed two cells had some minor boil over with some staining on the top of the battery around the caps. That's a reminder why you don't have them inside the van.

Also, I had to repair a hold open hinge to the fiber glass skirt lift door at the dump when the rivet connection corroded and broke. The fix was a 23 cent with tax at True Value Hardware 8-32 x 3/8" bolt and lock nut.

We're getting ready to hit the road once again for another extended trip.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
KK&R wrote:

Did notice that the caulk is pulling away from the sides of the fan on the roof, though. Seems like some work will need to be done there. Anyone know what the best caulk would be for that job? And all the old, grungy caulk has to be removed, I bet. How do you do that?

This is what I did.

I've had on ongoing problem with my Great West Van Legend bathroom skylight leaking. It only leaked when the back was slightly higher than the front and only during heavy rains. So it could be frustrating in that sometimes it didn't leak and sometimes it did. It never seemed to leak when driving and it never leaked when parked at home. When it did leak it came through and dripped inside the quarter round electrical chase cover in the bathroom and then flowed one way or another until it found an outlet. It really became a problem in the Florida Keys when we were experiencing an 8 inch one day heavy rainfall. We had to abandon our stay and head for drier areas. We did manage to get the leak (we thought) fixed at a dealer in Florida. I'm not sure what it looked like before but they essentially frosted the whole skylight with caulk in hope of stopping wherever the leak was. This is the result.

The leak came back the next time we encountered a heavy rain so obviously the "fix" did not work.I removed all the caulking. After I removed the caulk it rained again and it didn't leak. What I discovered is there is a 1/4" gap about about an inch deep between the skylight frame and rain gutter. When I removed the caulk that was filling the gap I found it was not adhering to the metal roof where the skylight met the roof and that there was standing water under the caulk. Rain water was flowing in, getting trapped and then into the bathroom. So all the glopped on caulk was not doing the job. There was still a leak letting that water in. Also, a lot of the caulking came off clean from the surface meaning it was not adhering properly.

This is most of the amount of caulk I removed. Believe it or not my recaulking used just a half of a tube.

This is the skylight after I removed the caulk with lots of scraping.

This is the gap and the caulk never touched the metal where the skylight frame met the deck otherwise there would have still been a film of caulk I could not easily have removed.

There is no standard tool to tool a 1/4" x 1" deep joint and the caulking gun nozzle can't reach that depth. It was a sloppy job and poor design to create a situation you can't tool easily to make it water tight. With the caulk removed the water when it rained was not getting trapped and was flowing by fast enough to not flow into the bathroom, at least in any detectable or appreciable amount. So all the dealer repair evidently didn't fix the original design flaw and poor installation.

Since the skylight seemed to be doing its job without the caulk I opted not to dissemble the skylight even though the extra step might have further helped sealing it at the deck if done right. I just decided to recaulk around the skylight and make sure there was 100% coverage. In order to fill that gap properly I devised a 5/16" wood dowel tool with a rounded tip to push the sealant down into the narrow gap and joint.

This is the recaulk. Not quite as frosted. I used a better grade of sealant than the rubberized acrylic previously used. This time I used GE Silicone II sealant for exterior waterproofing. It is about 3X expensive than acrylics. But then who cares with one tube.

I took a hose to it with a continuous deluge of water and there were no leaks. Only time will tell and another major rain storm to determine if I solved the problem. Didn't think I would be wishing for rain before heading out on a trip again.

I'm out of warranty. In some respects that is good. I think I know repair better. It's now my responsibility.

PS. We've had several major rains including one 4 incher and over 1 inch last weekend. So far everything is good.
Davydd

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
I got my tires rotated free at Discount Tire today. I bought them there. After 16,000 miles on the Michelin LTX MS/2 tires the tread wear was excellent and even. I run 65 lbs in all 6 tires (duallies of course).
Davydd

KK_R
Explorer
Explorer
I did a complete clean and retightening of my Fantastic Fan. May not sound like much, but after 10 years, it was pretty disgusting. Man, I did not even remember the fan blades were clear--and the vent is translucent! Its like I have a new window in my Roadtrek.

And in case anyone gets inspired to do the same thing and--god forbid--is as unaware as me, you can remove the screen from the inside and do 90% of the cleaning from there. Little need to go up onto the roof (where I did most of the work), except to snug up all the installation screws.

Did notice that the caulk is pulling away from the sides of the fan on the roof, though. Seems like some work will need to be done there. Anyone know what the best caulk would be for that job? And all the old, grungy caulk has to be removed, I bet. How do you do that?
KK&R
2004/03 Roadtrek 200 Versatile

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Started packing it for our annual fall excursion. This year to the west
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

Kimbopolo
Explorer
Explorer
Lubricated the seals in the toilet. Exercised the genny. Woo-Hoo!
2010 Roadtrek 190 Popular
http://www.kimbopolo.blogspot.com

deborahsheik
Explorer
Explorer
Re: Tips & Tricks for the Winnie ERA
*Finished the "caulking" job around all the screens with duct seal...read the riot act to the service manager at our dealer..."bring it in when you get back and we WILL fix it". We don't envision a fix for these windows...the design does not allow the screens to fit the frames...and the handles all have large openings around them. We've tried plugging up all the spaces so we don't have to live with the skeeters.
*used white-ish poster putty to cover the every 30 second blinking green light on the CO2 monitor that's right over our bed...just covered the light not the sensor 🙂
*used the same putty to block up 3 sections of the AC vent that blows right on my face in bed...there's more than enough open for proper air flow.
* figured out the speaker system so we have surround sound and not just TV sound for TV/DVD.
*hung one of those expandable cabinet/fridge rods that keep stuff from falling out into the top rear of the wardrobe to hang a few necklaces on...we're headed to some family parties in NJ...need some jewelry 🙂
Deborah and Jack
Englewood, Florida
2014 Winnebago Era 70a
AKA "Diva Mobile" 😉

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Topped off all the batteries with a charger. Then plugged "B" into my 50 amp, reduced to 30 amp and ran the A/C to make sure it was Ok.
Put a couple fishing rods and tackle, couple cases of bottled water and extra food and other stuff for a prolonged stay in the mountains.
Guns for hunting and extra ammo. 5 gallons extra gas for the 2K Honda generator. Have Medicine and other supplies ready to go-----computer, Dish network, etc. Got the BAJA ready to pack with extras to tow and will pack Sweeties car tomorrow. Put a Portable CB in her car for communication between us.
WHY AM I DOING ALL THIS???????????????????
I live way too close to a BIG city so in case the Syrian debacle gets worse I can "Get out of Dodge" in a hurry.
I hope and PRAY that it doesn't develop into that but I want to think I'm half way prepared. Another example of why owning a "B" is good.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Davydd
What's in the crockpot?Chili?My recipe is an award winner. I put in an 800w inverter in my old 06 PW Plateau ts. It works well running just about anything on 110v but my one house battery gets tired early and goes to sleep. I can use my microwave with the 800w but I wouldnt try it with the microwave grill function. I usually use it to make coffee or run the dvd when not on shore power such as last week at Gabriola Island government campground which had NO facilities--well,OK: an outhouse nearby, which we didnt use. I was able to run the Onan to charge the batteries and use electric appliances but was restricted to 9AM to 1PM, in the park. Some people install even higher capacity inverters which is perhaps for those with two or more batteries. Cheers
AL
PS: More to the question though: I washed the PW--easier as it was recently waxed thoroughly, then I rolled out the awning and washed it,both sides, with a long-handled brush head soaked in Black Streak Cleaner & Degreaser and liquid detergent, thereby cleaning up most of the mess and only leaving a few marks from imbedded grime.I added more Black Streak to the sprayer, resprayed awning and then rolled up the awning.I will unfold the awning tomorrow and wash it once again.I mention this as many people have trouble cleaning their awnings and this procedure seems to work well.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:
georgelesley wrote:
bobojay5 wrote:
Installed a direct fused at the converter 8ga, 12v battery line to our kitchen counter area with a 20amp circuit breakered 12v outlet to plug our inverter in so the wife could use her small crock pot while going down the road to fix some eats.

Now we're ready for our big fall trip in 2 weeks!

Bob, that is exactly where I have thought about putting a 12volt power point. I'll be looking at yours in a few weeks!

I learned this trick at our BEE Socials but all I had to do was plug into the duplex outlet above our kitchen counter that was already wired to a 700W inverter for use while on battery power to run a 110v crockpot or the intended 110V TV. Put the crockpot in the sink. Also it should be braced so it doesn't slide around. This photo was cleaned up without the bracing.

We always wrap a towel or 2 around the crock to keep it from moving around.
Also, going to have to invest in a little bigger capacity inverter because the 400w one we have is right on the verge of kicking out when the crock is on low. It's getting noisy too.....
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
deborahsheik wrote:
I could take pictures of the finished product when we set it up....but don't know how to upload them here 🙂

Here's one way to post photos: Set up a free Photobucket account and upload your pictures to Photobucket. Then follow the instructions below.

Adding pictures from PhotoBucket

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
bobojay5 wrote:
Installed a direct fused at the converter 8ga, 12v battery line to our kitchen counter area with a 20amp circuit breakered 12v outlet to plug our inverter in so the wife could use her small crock pot while going down the road to fix some eats.

Bob, that is exactly where I have thought about putting a 12volt power point. I'll be looking at yours in a few weeks!

I learned this trick at our BEE Socials but all I had to do was plug into the duplex outlet above our kitchen counter that was already wired to a 700W inverter for use while on battery power to run a 110v crockpot or the intended 110V TV. Put the crockpot in the sink. Also it should be braced so it doesn't slide around. This photo was cleaned up without the bracing.

Davydd

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
bobojay5 wrote:

George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

omjones
Explorer
Explorer
Installed a Danby 110v fridge with a separate freezer door. I took the old (25 years) one out last week hoping that by turning it upside down for a few days it would work again but no dice. Went to WM and for 250 bucks C got a 2 door, dorm fridge. took a little cabinet work but looks ok now.
john 'I am Canadian'