cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Did You Do To Your Class B Today ?

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
I see the other types of RV's having this type of thread. I did a search and could not find one here. 🙂

Yesterday, I drove mine to work to "excercise" it. I have driven it to work twice in the two weeks I have owned it.

In the two years I owned my Class C, I drove it to work ZERO times. :E
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds
1,574 REPLIES 1,574

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Taking a ride and adding biocide and a gallon of fuel to wash it down before finally parking in my new barn I noticed the check engine light came on. Took the coach to my local guy and he read a stuck EGR. He reset it and I made it home without a recurrence. If it happens on the next 6 week exercise trip I’ll have him fix it but hopefully it won’t happen until I get near my Mercedes dealer in Florida next winter where I can get warranty service!

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
For exercise, drove it on a 60 mile round trip to work today. Plan on taking it around town tomorrow.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Well, better late than never... drained the gray and black tanks after our late-March return from Florida, winterized the otherwise drained water system, ran the generator and A/C... and exercised the stereo.

As our travels dictate, we always come home with a day of two of tank usage and no easy dump site. I bought a 6 gallon boat toilet and dump into the bottom half then down the stick-house toilet. Takes me back to my early boating days.

In the next day or two we will go for a ride to get the rust off the brakes, find diesel so I can add a bit of biocide to the tank and wash it down. Then the coach gets a bath and goes into its new home, a barn with a 12 foot ceiling.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Gave it a wash for the first time this year.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Vent fan quit working on our 2005 LTV. Suspect it was the switch that stops the fan from running if the cover is not open since it wasn't the fuse or a circuit breaker. But since it had seen a lot of duty and needed a thorough cleaning I decided to just replace it.

It's a pretty straight forward process:

1. Pop off the four screw caps and remove the four screws on the inside fan trim and take the trim piece off.
  2. Remove the 16 screws on top that hold the fan to van roof.
  3. Use plastic/steel putty knife to break the bond the adhesive has between van top and fan and take off the old fan, remove all remaining adhesive around the fan opening so new fan adhesive will make a proper bond.
  4. Cut the wire to the old fan, attach wires on new fan with crimp connectors.
  5. Place adhesive strips around the fan opening using a nail or something to note corner screw holes.
  6. Place new fan in place being sure screw holes in fan base match up with marked corner screw positions and put in 16 retaining screws.
  7. Place special caulk (Dicor 501LSW-1 Epdm Self-Leveling Lap Sealant-10.3 Oz. Tube, White, 10.3 Fluid_Ounces) on top of all 16 screws and around the base of the new fan.
  8. Replace inside trim piece with four screws and screw caps.

Unfortunately, the descriptions of the process didn't emphasize how difficult step 3 was (at least for me). I had the tools (both a plastic and steel putty knife) and the plastic putty knife was usable to remove the caulking from around the base. But getting the adhesive holding the fan to roof to release the fan was something else. I went around it pushing completely through the adhesive (with strong resistance) all the way around the fan and then tried to separate the fan from roof. No movement whatsoever.

After scratching my head, I remembered a comment I had seen to use denatured alcohol to help remove the adhesive from hands/tools/etc as it could be a problem. So luckily I had some denatured alcohol and decided the best way to use it was to use an empty Windex spray bottle to get the liquid where I wanted it. I sprayed it around the old fan base and immediately could detect that the putty knife went through the adhesive much easier so I pushed the putty knife through the adhesive all the way around the fan base again with plenty of denatured alcohol. I was then able to pull the fan off with no problem. Removing the adhesive on the roof was also doable by spraying on plenty of denatured alcohol and rubbing with a sturdy rag and a lot of elbow grease.

See photos below:

Old fan separated from roof.

Adhesive remaining around fan opening.

Opening cleaned of all adhesive remains, old fan still attached to 12v power leads.

As mentioned above, a straight forward project except for the adhesive removal effort needed.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

dreed
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced the coolent recovery tank. Looked like a crack was starting to happen.
Dave 04 P/W Excel TD

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Time to bump this thread to the top again. This isn't just todays work but a few projects the last week or so. We came back from the May trip with a list of things we wanted to do to the B.

I added a fold down counter extension to the counter behind the driver seat. If I move the seat all the way forward I can now pull up the extension and add 18" to the counter beside the sink. I used a white plastic cutting board for the top. Wife loves it.

Bought a short folding step so the wife's bad knees don't have to work so hard getting in the side door. Wife made a sleeve for it out of some scrap fake leather/naugahyde stuff and I added some mounts to the inside of the second side door to hold the step when not in use.

Converted the last 3 tungsten bulbs in the van to LED and wired in a spare switch so I could turn on the lights between the seats when the doors are closed. Since the switch is powered from the cabin battery I added a diode so the chassis battery would not try and charge the cabin battery if someone opened a door when the switch was on.

Added two magnetic rechargeable strip LED lights, one in the range hood and one above the sunvisor on the passenger side.

Resealed the seam between the fiberglass top and steel body.

Helped the wife make some magnetic blackout curtains for the front side windows.

We bought a pair of Skreenz that slide over the front doors so we can leave them part way down without getting skeeters.

Cleaned the carpets getting ready for next trip in a week or so.

Been a good couple of week, looking forward to our next outing.

Eastwacamper
Explorer
Explorer
A few days ago drove from the Spokane area with the Phoenix Cruiser to the railroad museum near Reardon, WA. Stopped at a state park too, Discover Pass needed. Looked out over a reservoir. It's just east of Reardon. Nice drive in the spring since it's green yet and no fires. All is working well with the rv.

Herculez
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
Sold our Newmar Kountry Aire 5th wheel and bought a Midwest. It's parked under the carport and we have been putting things in it and taking things out of it!!:)

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Last weekend I did a test fit of my new flag pole.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 10 speed MaxxFan installed in my B on Tuesday, in place of the original. I had one in our last camper and loved being able to keep air moving without using a lot of battery, using the lower speeds and being able to keep it going in the rain. This B is the first camper we have had with AC but I still like the quiet so hope to use the AC as little as possible. I put the last MaxxFan in myself but that was over 10 years ago so I decided to forgo the aerial work this time.

This week I also removed the mount for the back bucket seat since I decided to make the cabinet I installed to be removable, permanente. Filled in the gap and put a piece of carpet across in front of the side doors to hide the patch.

Oh I used the B to haul 40 bags of mulch home this week, not in one trip. You know how you always underestimate how much your going to need.

DoubleVeteran
Explorer
Explorer
Used my Harvest Hosts membership to go to Uwharrie Vineyards for the weekend with my girlfriend and my dog. Nice weather and awesome weekend getaway for us both with my Roadtrek!

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
I put the new seat pads over the front two seats of my new Winnebago Travato 59 G.Also hang the organizers behind the front seats.Another thing I did is that installed flexible mirror sheets over the cabinet.

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
Had a really, really, nice day yesterday. Took the B for a ride, did a little cleaning. Picked up some lunch and went to a lookout to check on the volcanoes. Drove home and decided to sit a while and listen to radio. We were pretending to be on the road again.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't actually do it myself, accept to take the B in to have it done. I had the 20 year old rotted out speakers replaced with nice new ones. Even an upgrade from the originals. Wish I would have done it sooner, radio sounds great now. You could actually see daylight through the speaker cones where they were falling apart. The back speakers would have been easy to do but I didn't want to mess taking the doors apart for the front so I let the pros do it all and they made short order of the swap. Since the back was so easy they cut their flat installation charge.