cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What did you do to your Class C MH today???

Rich_Panganiban
Explorer
Explorer
This is always a fun thread to watch in other forums, so I thought I'd start one here.
2007 Jayco Greyhawk - Kodiak 32SS
'00 Subaru Outback Wagon
4,455 REPLIES 4,455

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
New air filter
Proud father of a US Marine

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
So on our recent vacation I set off the CO alarm twice. Both times were in open parking lots with no obstructions around (~90 degrees with no wind), after running the generator (for air conditioning) right at about the 2 hour mark. This was the first time since having the RV that we've run the generator so long while stationary. The first alarm I thought maybe it was a fluke, but since it happened again a few days later it was now a pattern. :B

No issues running for hours on end while driving.

So yesterday I installed our new Genturi. Also replaced the original (15 year old) CO alarm, and added a second one up front that has a digital readout of the CO level just for redundancy. Also replaced the smoke detector and propane detector since I was on a safety kick.

For the support hanger, I used a Sea Sucker rear tire holder (Sea Sucker makes bicycle racks, I happen to own one already so I 'borrowed' the rear wheel holder). The strap on it was already a perfect length to wrap around the pipe, and with a block of custom cut wood screwed on to cradle the pipe, it's almost factory looking.

Ready for the heat now! :C

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Sqdancecaller
Explorer
Explorer
sullivanclan wrote:
What kind of tires are you thinking about Sqdancecaller? Your first set since My 2013? My unit has firestone transforce HT, a bit cheaper than others, but I haven't had any problems with them. Not sure what I might do next.

Our local tire shop recommended Master Craft tires. Got them on and have most everything loaded and ready to head south tomorrow. Only wish we were already there as it is a cold 26 this morning and due to be even colder tomorrow when we leave.
2013 Thor Chateau 32 ft.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had not washed the coach after the last couple of trips and it was starting to look a little sad...

Had a nice sunny day here in Tucson, high of 77, so I brought the coach home for a serious cleanup. Three hours later I am reaching for the Ibuprofen and a cold beer but the job is done. Washed the entire rig and got about half of it waxed... a man has got to know his limitations {and I am familiar with mine and they no longer keep me awake at night}. :B

But for a 7-year-old coach with 55K miles I can live with the end result:

:C

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of tires are you thinking about Sqdancecaller? Your first set since My 2013? My unit has firestone transforce HT, a bit cheaper than others, but I haven't had any problems with them. Not sure what I might do next.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

Sqdancecaller
Explorer
Explorer
Finally had a warm day so did the monthly generator run, put a few items in the coach and sat dreaming of our upcoming 12 day trip to Florida. Heading to the St. Petersburg Indy race on March 10th and it can't get here soon enough. Did make a trip to our local tire shop and did some checking about getting new tires and made arrangements to have that done in a few weeks. So ready to get the coach back out on the road and away from the snow and ice.
2013 Thor Chateau 32 ft.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperdave ,
They're called 'Pathetic Tubs' . ๐Ÿ™‚
I can also see the need for something to be done with those tubs.
Can you imagine being pulled over by a LEO and in your sideview mirror , you see him/her walking towards you carry your plastic tub full of rv accessories ? :E

I added a 60"x30" piece of plywood, that covered 2 tubs, like a lid.
I used 4" 'E-ternabond' tape as a seal all around the edge of the tub, where the plastic tub lip meets the wood compartment . It's now dry and free from road-splash/insects.

As for now it works by allowing me to store some lighter 'not often used' items in the tubs, the plywood allows bulky heavier items to now be supported.

If I needed stronger support in the tubs themselves , I would buy or weld up a basket and use it as a liner , attaching it to the wooden framework of the rear compartment.

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are preparing for a winter trip from Colorado South to see family in the Yuma Arizona area for a few weeks. (Heck maybe help to build a wall). This past weekend we got the oil changed, fluids checked, annual brake inspection and tire check. Did a thorough cleaning and since I got done with some of that I took up rewiring an old rear camera and got it to work, replaced brake light bulbs and lubed the automatic steps and ran the generator. Then we took a 50-mile test drive for a pizza lunch and returned. All ran well.

The weekend before we practiced putting on some tire cables in case of winter weather before we hit the nice warm weather in Southern Utah. Evaluating replacing the front tires as they are going on five years...bummer.:S
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

GKAbbott
Explorer
Explorer
After driving a few hundred miles and setting up camp, I sat and admired the quality workmanship. Then I started planning how to improve upon the factory shortcomings. When we return home in a few weeks, I'll get on it.

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Camperdave wrote:
The pilot would light, but die as soon as I released the knob or turned it to any temperature position. Some interneting said the likely problem was the thermocouple, however I read two different folks say that stuffing some foil into the knob solved this problem for them.

I had problems with the knobs before and I lubed them with "Super Slick Stuff." It comes in spray can and does lube but dries to a clear finish. You probably wouldn't want to use any regular lube spray due the flammability issue. I just sprayed a tiny bit into the valve where the knob shaft enters it, then turned it on/off a few times to make sure it penetrates before it dries. Turn off the gas at the tank before doing this.

No problems since.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Heater did fine. :B

On the way home I hit up a CAT scale. I had 3/4 full water, full fuel, and empty grey/black tanks. We were otherwise pretty lightly loaded (end of trip so no food).

With no people in it, but one 35ish pound dog sitting on the passenger seat, our weights are:

Front axle: 3940
Rear axle: 8240
Total: 12180

Specs on the door sticker are:

Front GAWR: 4600
Rear GAWR: 9450
GVWR: 14050

So I've got 1870 pounds available, 660 in front, and 1210 in the rear. I wish Fleetwood had made the floor of the rear (very large) storage areas stronger. There is no way I could load more than a few pounds on those flimsy plastic tubs without them pulling out from the wall! :S I had assumed it was no big deal since I wouldn't want heavy stuff that far back, but with over 1000 pounds to play with...

I think some kind of structural support for those tubs is in order this winter! :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I got the motorhome all prepped and ready for a Christmas trip to Southern California! Beds made, batteries charged, coffee loaded, presents hidden. Head out first thing in the morning.

Hope my heater can keep up with the cold winter temps down there. :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
We will be out of town over the holidays so this morning I "winterized" our coach... southern Arizona style. Opened all the drains and took the rig for a short ride during which time all of the water in the tanks, lines and water heater drained. Added a quart of pink RV antifreeze to the black and gray tanks which were empty except for a very small amount of water. Finally, I added a cup of antifreeze to all three traps {kitchen and bathroom sinks and the shower}.

We usually don 't see temps below the high twenties and that is only briefly in the predawn hours but once in a while, we might see a night approaching or even reaching the high teens. Either way with the water gone and antifreeze in place I'm set. Been using this method for about 10 years without any issues and when we head out in January for our next trip with the coach all I have to do is close the valves and add water.

Lastly, I restocked the bar. :B

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Small but significant mod this weekend, I swapped the engine cover console (just the console part, not the acutal engine cover. It just slips off by lifting it up) between my old van (which had a new style console) and the 2005 motorhome. It's not totally clear from the pics, but the footroom is 1000x better. With the 2005 console, there is no way to get a foot between the seat and the console. Now my wife can easily slip through. And it still holds plenty of cups, so no real loss.

before:

after (the other part of the swap was to also get the backup monitor which was already mounted to the van's console):
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Great job Gary Haupt
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax