cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think this Prevost is worth?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
A friend of mine bought his first RV back in 2000. It was a Liberty Coach Elegant Lady on a Prevost chassis, with all of the bells and whistles, custom ordered from the factory at a cost of slightly over one million. It was set up to sleep 6 since they have four children and had all of the latest electronics for 2000. At the time, I was doing construction work for this gentleman and I built a custom garage to house it that was air conditioned and allowed it to be powered up at all times. The coach has a total of 22,000 miles. I have put about 1500 miles on it, about 10 years ago, and it drives like a dream. It is 45 foot long with the tag axle, etc. It is set up for a toad.
Here is the question.......What do you think the coach is worth today?
It still looks like new but it has the original 13 year old tires. Batteries were changed 5 years ago. It has the 20KW diesel generator. IT HAS NO SLIDES. All of the electronics are now 13 years old. The exterior and interior look like new. The exterior is very tastefully done in polished stainless with black stripes. This was a top of the line coach in year 2000 but to me personally I would guess that he would have trouble finding someone willing to pay more than $150,000 today. He is thinking much more.
What do you think?
42 REPLIES 42

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
People who travel with dogs could use those bunks for their pets to sleep in.

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
He should have used it more and got some value out of it.It is his mobile castle and valued as such,I want to see the lending institute that pops for that unit.I also would suggest that the second owner had best have big pockets to run an old unit,plus be ready to accept a bath upon selling it.Just my opinion,I can think of no reason that I would spend that money on an old outdated unit.I would go and buy a top of the line truck and 5th.wheel instead.I really feel for the owner as he comes to reality.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, when a Prevost chassis doesn't have slides, there is a lot of room in the living area because slides do take up some space. When the sofa's can sit all the way back and the ceiling all the way up (slides lower the ceiling)... it's fairly roomy.

Just for the two of us, I would generally prefer slides but a nice Prevost built and designed right would give nice space. I toured a Country Coach Prevost chassis while in Las Vegas once, the guy particularly wanted a no-slide coach and it was designed nice on the inside.

I'm willing to put with any issues slides can bring which is really not often or ever (on some coaches). A no slide would eliminate that concern. Everyone has their comfort level.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
What intrigues me is the miles on it! The rings most likely seated at 20,000 miles so the engine is brand new it has been garaged and well maintained! If I was interested in this coach IMHO it's worth 150K to 200K, I would dangle the carrot and see what it brings! Sounds to me like new batteries and tires and a oil change and it's ready to roll! JMHO

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it needs to be marketed as an "Entertainers" bus to the Nashville market.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
DanTheRVMan wrote:
Not only is it difficult to establish current price, but do not believe the prices for NEW high ends MHs. Discounts over 40% are not unusual. The real question is how much over?

Seals and all polymers will degrade without use. Mileage may not be a very good indicator of a lot of expensive things that could fail or need major repair. The number of buyers with money that do not want any slides would seem small to me.

That is sort of the way I felt about this coach.
After 13 years of little use, does the positive fact that it is a Prevost overcome the negative reality that there are no slides.

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
Not only is it difficult to establish current price, but do not believe the prices for NEW high ends MHs. Discounts over 40% are not unusual. The real question is how much over?

Seals and all polymers will degrade without use. Mileage may not be a very good indicator of a lot of expensive things that could fail or need major repair. The number of buyers with money that do not want any slides would seem small to me.
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
TechWriter wrote:

Also, you started by talking up the Prevost . . . it has "all the bells and whistles . . . custom ordered . . . housed in a custom garage . . . drives like a dream".

Now you seem to be looking for reasons to lower the price . . . it has a lousy floor plan and its too costly to redo.

If this is a good friend, you may want to remove yourself from the picture. For example, Liberty Coach has a coach consignment section on their web site. Why not contact them and ask what they think it's worth?

Did you read my whole first post? Yes, I said it was a Prevost with all of the bells and whistles. Basically everyone knows that a Prevost comes with all of the bells and whistles.
I also stated, in all CAPS, that it has NO SLIDES and that everything is 13 years old. There is a topic recently on this forum about whether people would buy another coach without slides. The vast majority want slides. Prevost or not, without slides is a big negative. For my estimate of $150K, you can find a used coach with four slides and high quality construction. Maybe not a Prevost, but when you are talking a 13 year old coach, does that really matter? Just the fact that it is a Prevost probably means that any repairs/parts/labor will be more expensive than on another brand of coach.
I am not looking to sell this thing for him. I was just trying to give him a realistic price expectation to sell it himself. Like me, he had some Classic Cars that appreciated in value. I am trying to be honest with him and let him know that I think his expectations of what this RV is worth is too high.
Yes, there are many Prevosts listed at various sites, including eBay. What you need to do is search the "Completed Auctions" to see if any of them have actually sold. The only one that was close to this was a 2001 Prevost coach that sold new for $2,000,000, had TWO slides, and SOLD on eBay for $205,000.
There is a low mileage, factory re-furbished 2000 Prevost, NO SLIDES, with an asking price of $179,900 that DID NOT sell. He got two offers of $90,000 and $159,000 and they did not accept either.
As always, asking price and selling price are two different things. To me this floor plan is a big negative, which I thought my price of $150K was close, although it may be a bit high, considering what must be done to make the coach roadworthy with new tires, etc. Then you add the cost of updating the electronics and maybe $125K is a more realistic price that will actually find a buyer with the cash.
I'm thinking that getting financing on a 13 year old coach is not easy.
One positive is that the engine is 13 years old and does not have the DEF requirement. By the same token, it was also built before the newer diesel fuel so that MAY be a problem.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet wrote:

Actually I have been asking around and I can't find anyone that is really interested, at any price. Sure, it is a Prevost but it has a difficult floor plan to work with. It has a rear master bedroom, with a bath in front of that, followed by an area with double bunks on both sides. Then you get to the kitchen and finally, up front the living room. It has the one bath, but with no slides, you have to sort of squeeze through the living and kitchen to get to it. The cost to redo the floor plan would undoubtedly be more than it is worth.
To me it looks like it would take a special family buyer to use the coach as it was intended or a couple that wants a Prevost and will deal with the floor plan as it is, if the price is right. Me, having used it with my DW on one trip, would not hang on to it if I got it for free. 🙂

So you're trying to sell it for your friend, not buy it, right?

If so, I think you need to do more than "asking around" to sell it.

Also, you started by talking up the Prevost . . . it has "all the bells and whistles . . . custom ordered . . . housed in a custom garage . . . drives like a dream".

Now you seem to be looking for reasons to lower the price . . . it has a lousy floor plan and its too costly to redo.

If this is a good friend, you may want to remove yourself from the picture. For example, Liberty Coach has a coach consignment section on their web site. Why not contact them and ask what they think it's worth?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
Put it on prevost-stuff.com

This is the premier site to sell prevost coaches. Most of the dealers and brokers use it so the prices listed are often inflated. It is not unusual for a seller to ask $250K for a similar coach but the selling price can be $100K or more less.

I thought class A coaches had a wide diversity of what they offer but other than the shell coming from prevost car and made to easily go 1 million miles (as is the coach house part designed to do that) unlike other class A's. The fact is that the 2000 Liberty will drive BETTER than most new class A diesels right out of the box.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Well there's one sure fire way to find out what it's worth....... List it! Set the price higher and see what kind of interest it draws. From there, you can lower the price until it sells, or decide not to sell if interest just isn't there.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
TechWriter wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
This was a top of the line coach in year 2000 but to me personally I would guess that he would have trouble finding someone willing to pay more than $150,000 today. He is thinking much more.
What do you think?

I think you're trying to get a deal.

Is this 2000 Prevost worth more than $150k? I think so. Could only find two others like it on the web -- one for about $250k, the other for $329k, and there is a 2001 on eBay for $238k.

There is certainly a large price range, and these are asking prices, but Prevosts are pretty much top of the Class A food chain and in a class of its own.

Lack of slides? Well, a 2014 Liberty Coach Elegant Lady with only two slide outs probably goes for about $1.5 million. As you know, there are plenty of other brands with quad slides or full wall slide outs that sell for MUCH less.

But a Prevost isn't just another brand.

Actually I have been asking around and I can't find anyone that is really interested, at any price. Sure, it is a Prevost but it has a difficult floor plan to work with. It has a rear master bedroom, with a bath in front of that, followed by an area with double bunks on both sides. Then you get to the kitchen and finally, up front the living room. It has the one bath, but with no slides, you have to sort of squeeze through the living and kitchen to get to it. The cost to redo the floor plan would undoubtedly be more than it is worth.
To me it looks like it would take a special family buyer to use the coach as it was intended or a couple that wants a Prevost and will deal with the floor plan as it is, if the price is right. Me, having used it with my DW on one trip, would not hang on to it if I got it for free. 🙂

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of purchasing an '05 Prevost.....I've done a bunch of research over the last 3 months and the one thing that is certain is that a prevost does not depreciate like a fiberglass motorhome.....after looking at what is out there I think $150K would be a GREAT deal! I would bet with a little advertising he could probably get between $175-190K fairly easy. Liberty is the "rolls royce" of converters and always had top of the line products in the coaches. Since they are still standing after the economic downturn means that the coach is still serviceable at many locations.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
It's not what's it's worth on paper, it's what someone is willing to pay for it and how long he is willing to wait for that one buyer.

Given the huge choice of great used motorhomes available for $150k it might take a long time for the right person to come along who just has to have a no-slide, less than ideal floorplan, 13 yo 'expensive to maintain' Prevost.

I am sure he/she is out there with their 4 kids - but finding them might be hard.

V10guy
Explorer
Explorer
I'll tell you what... to help you all out, I'll come pick it up for $50k...
Wife and I, 3 Kids(10, 9 & 6) 2003 Forest River Windsong 32' 8.1L Workhorse w/Allison. TOAD coming soon...