cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet Another 6 Volt Battery Question ....

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm in the market for ( 4 ) new coach batteries. The ones I have are 5 years old and not holding a charge as long as they should. I've read buy "Costco, Interstate, NAPA, Maintenance Free, Gel Filled, Water Filled" etc etc. Could I hear the Pros and Cons one more time? I don't have a problem with maintenance because I'm in that routine and that's okay!! I decided after cleaning up the white powder in the bottom of the tray ... time to replace the batts. Appreciate all the supportive input!!
17 REPLIES 17

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
United States Battery ..... XC2. I was checking out the specs on this manufacturer. Anyone ever buy/use/experience this battery?? Tried reading their home page and didn't read that they mfg for anyone else.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
2ndhom wrote:

With all the battery hype RE: cars powered by electric etc, I would think the battery companies would want to engineer the greatest and best for the consumer.
Are all batteries made here in the USA?

I'm not sure how I can answer that except to say that no, all batteries are not made in the USA.

HTH;
John

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
Check your local golf cart shops. I found these which are local to me and the price is right for Trojans. http://daytona.craigslist.org/rvd/3961390429.html
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
full_mosey wrote:
Things may be changing for Gel batteries.
I just got "8A & 8G BATTERY INSTALLATION AND OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS" from Deka.

AGM and Gel now have the same charging profile. Until this, the ding against Gel was the 14.1V charging Voltage limit.

Also with GC2s at $109, the SAMs Club $170 AGMs are looking very competitive for those looking for less maintenance. As AGMs gain sales volume, the price gap seems to be narrowing.

HTH;
John

With all the battery hype RE: cars powered by electric etc, I would think the battery companies would want to engineer the greatest and best for the consumer.
Are all batteries made here in the USA?

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Things may be changing for Gel batteries.
I just got "8A & 8G BATTERY INSTALLATION AND OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS" from Deka.

AGM and Gel now have the same charging profile. Until this, the ding against Gel was the 14.1V charging Voltage limit.

Also with GC2s at $109, the SAMs Club $170 AGMs are looking very competitive for those looking for less maintenance. As AGMs gain sales volume, the price gap seems to be narrowing.

HTH;
John

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes Sam's and Costco seem to carry two different GC2 batteries in random stores.
One is 232 Ah the other is about 207 Ah.

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember exactly, but I think Costco has a "GC-1 and GC-2" and I think one has a little more poop than the other but your store may only carry one type. I think they're the same size but more amp hours. Our local store did not carry them at all till recently, I think there has to be a golf course near you to make it worth their while.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like because I don't boondock/dry camp a lot that I could strongly consider Costco. I do have an Interstate dealer & Costco here in Eugene. I will stop by to ask about deep cell's and their cost/performance.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Many will argue that one or two companies make all batteries and the ones at Sam's Club are the same as Interstates. I agree that there are only a few making batteries, but they're not all equal. You get what you pay for. (Example) Goodyear makes many off brand tires and sells then for a lot less. These tires are good, but they're not an exact equivalent to a Goodyear labeled brand. Some had good luck with the Sam's Club batteries, but I've also talked to people that replaced their Sam's Club batteries several times under warranty and thought that was a great deal.

I've used the Interstates that came with my coach for over five years. They were still working well, but being anal, I replaced them with all new Interstates before a big trip. They're a good battery. I think the Trojans are even a little better, but they weren't available when I replaced mine.

Lastly, lead acid batteries are really the best fit and most popular for RV's. One of the best additions to my coach was the addition of the automatic watering system. They're pricey, but they reduce acid to about zero and they're so easy to evenly fill all the batteries at one time. Even if you're not good about doing battery maintenance, they're so simple to do.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
GEL is seriously NOT recommended for RV use.
And Foretravel has seriously continued to use the GEL big batteries for years now with extremely good luck. They tried AGMs for a while and have consistantly gone back with the GEL 8D batteries. Think in recent years they have been running GEL for everything.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
If your boondock a lot. Go with the Trojans. They probably set the standard.
If you boondock seldom (like myself) go with either a Sams or COSTCO battery. I've used the COSTCO batteries for 9 years of fulltiming and do a good job. No complaints.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I've bought several Costco 6v's, have had zero problems with any of them and the price is about as low as you can get. I sure wouldn't spend the money on AGM or Trojans. Just my opinion based on my own experience.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brands: There are very few battery makers, Most companies, IE: Interstate, just re-label other people's batteries (often US-battery or Johnson Controls in Interstate's case. some folks Excide)

Trojan batteries (Flooded wet cell) Do seem to be very high quality (More so than the average) as do Lifeline in the AGM side. They also cost more.

There are a few other companies out there I do not know much about but have read about.. Costco, Sam's. And many other companies buy from JC or US.

Now, Flooded or "other"

Flooded wet cells are the most "Labor intensive" since you need to clean and water (Distilled only) Them from time to time.

The Six Volt GC-2 is usually the most amp hours per dollar of any type. (NOTE you need two of them though,,, And this statement takes that into account).

AGM, is among the least labor intensive (Occasional terminal cleaning, Every few years, that's all),. GEL is seriously NOT recommended for RV use.

Finally Lead Acid batteries come in another 3 (well 4) way division

Automotive starting are designed for short blasts of high current, they are rated in COLD CRANKING AMPS (Amps peak at 0 (f)

Marine Batteries are like the above but rated in Cranking amps (0 Degrees C)

These batteries do not like being run down much and may not recover if you run 'em down too far.

Marine/Deep cycle can be run down a BIT more than the above and may have a slightly better recovery profile.. But not much.

DEEP CYCLE can be run down to 50%, some lower, but most 50%, And if you run 'em down below that they may loose a bit of life, but they stand the best chance of recovery if promptly recharged.

The common GC-2 Six Volt Golf Car battery,,,, IS A DEEP CYCLE, not a marine deep cycle, not an automotove starting (Though a pair of 'em can usually do that job just fine) but a true DEEP CYCLE battery, 230 amp hours worth.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
100+ watts of solar will have whatever you choose operating better and lasting longer.