cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What has happened to Winnebago Quality?

Jim_Stehn
Explorer
Explorer
I am a dedicated and loyal Winnebago motor home owner. I purchased my third new Adventurer several months ago. My first a 2000 35U, my second a 2005 38R, and my latest a 2015 38Q. I purchase Winnebago products because of the superior workmanship, design, and engineering. But I am very disappointed in my 2015 38Q. It does not measure up to the high standards I have come to expect from Winnebago. In terms of workmanship, cabinet doors are warped and misaligned, latches improperly installed, switches miss wired, screws in the bathroom light fixture not seated & heads stripped, window casing damaged, the main door holder was not installed, and in one bathroom, the gas heat duct was not even connected. . Where was Quality in all this? And most distressing of all, in nearly every case, the installer knew the job was not done right and let it go. In terms of design and engineering, the thermostat remote temperature sensors are located above the gas heat floor vents, ignoring the most basic principle of HVAC design. In one bathroom, the light switches are mounted above the fan and pump switches. In the opposing bathroom, the light switches are mounted below the fan and pump switches. How unnecessarily confusing is that? The Ideal Rest bed is a poor substitute for the Sleep Number bed in terms of ease of use. The controls are hard to use and the corded control is an unnecessary nuisance. The galley faucet runs slow and I called Customer Relations to inquire about it. Not only did Winnebago not know the specification for flowrate but gave me the name of the manufacture which turned out to be the supplier not the manufacturer and a part number that no one recognized. A major disappointment in your Configuration Management system which I have so often lauded. This whole experience has severely eroded my loyalty.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Geronimo".
65 REPLIES 65

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
AstroRig57 wrote:
Gonzo42 wrote:
Speaking from a manufacturing engineer's point of view, I see very little of the attention to serviceability in mind. There are thousands of us out there who would prefer to work on our own vehicles, but access, special tools, lack of manuals, etc. make difficulties.

I don't know if you'll come back to this thread but ask and ye shall receive. Winnebago is absolutely the best manufacturer for providing access to Operators, Parts, and Service manuals. The parts manual for your coach can be found here....all 160 pages of it. http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/wincd/2008/8wd524h.pdf

A Google search of part numbers usually brings up multiple hits on where they can be found including from Winnebago Outdoors.

Parts manuals, plumbing and wiring diagrams, paint codes....it can all be found here.

http://winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/
Try getting Winnebago parts last two weeks of December or first two weeks of January! The factory is closed for Christmas and New Years. Our coach was wrecked (a run away truck hit it) and we were hung up over a month trying to get parts!

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Stehn wrote:
. In terms of workmanship, cabinet doors are warped and misaligned, latches improperly installed, switches miss wired, screws in the bathroom light fixture not seated & heads stripped, window casing damaged, the main door holder was not installed, and in one bathroom, the gas heat duct was not even connected. .

Had all your issues and more with our 2015 38q, infant it's been int he shop of the last 5 months.

CW and Winnebago have been very helpful.

Winnebago junk

AstroRig57
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Speaking from a manufacturing engineer's point of view, I see very little of the attention to serviceability in mind. There are thousands of us out there who would prefer to work on our own vehicles, but access, special tools, lack of manuals, etc. make difficulties.

I don't know if you'll come back to this thread but ask and ye shall receive. Winnebago is absolutely the best manufacturer for providing access to Operators, Parts, and Service manuals. The parts manual for your coach can be found here....all 160 pages of it. http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/wincd/2008/8wd524h.pdf

A Google search of part numbers usually brings up multiple hits on where they can be found including from Winnebago Outdoors.

Parts manuals, plumbing and wiring diagrams, paint codes....it can all be found here.

http://winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/
2005 Winnebago Sightseer WFD30B "rigged for night" with red LED lighting for night adapted vision.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Problem is in some cases the problem isn't evident until you bang along some of these horrible roads for a few months. I do wish they would pick up the loose screws so I don't find them under a drawer and wonder if they came from a place important. SMACDEISEL-That new coach will be quite a leap for you. I like that Vista. For the money it is a nice coach.

Rodz
Explorer
Explorer
kab449 wrote:
Bottom line is that all manufacturers are going to have quality control problems because the coaches are made by imperfect human beings. The question then becomes "which manufacturers will stand behind their product". Do your homework.

That's an unacceptable excuse. They should have better quality control inspections and better trained managers and line employees. They can't just send them out the door and hope no one notices.

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 Winnebago Vista 35b has been stellar. Had only 5 warranty issues during the first year, all fixed by the dealer. But, it really is like every other MH in it's price range with basically the same components. My next coach will either be a Foretravel or Marathon Prevost, amazes me what junk is out there rolling down the highway. Ha ha
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line is that all manufacturers are going to have quality control problems because the coaches are made by imperfect human beings. The question then becomes "which manufacturers will stand behind their product". Do your homework.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
For some odd reason, certain manufactures can live on their name alone, for a very long time.
As for newness vs excellence in engineering, I'll always spend the same buck for something used and proven.
For example, I'll take a 2003 BB Wanderlodge for the same money, over a brand new coach of lesser quality, any day.

I agree with you 100%, but don't say that too loud in front of Newmar owners. Those are the best. :S
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
For some odd reason, certain manufactures can live on their name alone, for a very long time.
As for newness vs excellence in engineering, I'll always spend the same buck for something used and proven.
For example, I'll take a 2003 BB Wanderlodge for the same money, over a brand new coach of lesser quality, any day.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 38Q a couple of months ago and have to agree with you not he quality control issues. It's been in the shop now for 70 straight days fixing items. It really seems they have the slap it together and let the dealer fix it attitude. Winnebago is no help in the situation and put it on the dealer.

cj7365
Explorer
Explorer
Monthly Jeep/Camping trips with a 2 week trip to CA in the summer, the Wife and I, 95 Brave for the win

Peaeye10445321
Explorer
Explorer
Wow
I have been looking at used Winnebago motorhomes, but reading this has changed what I thought about them. How about a used Monaco La Palma? It looks like a good one to me.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Three new Winnebago gas class A's since 2010. Traded for morespace and upgrade. My first two had virtually nothing that needed to be fixed. Second had a solenoid that was screwy after 6 months but quality control would not have found it as it came and went. Third one had a few more quality issues but the problem was the secondary parts. Generator had to be taken apart. A lose insulation on a connection caused periodic shorts. Had to find it and take the whole thing out and apart. Fixed under warranty to my satisfaction. Local Onan tech was great. Window squeaks and short in a speaker were fixed. Faulty hot water pressure relief valve showed up after 6 months. A drain in shower was cut short and caused a crazy leaks it would move out and then reseat. Replaced with one inch longer. All was well. Showed up during trip to California after s really bad road one day after 8 months. The passenger side Schwintech slide squeaked and required lube every 3 months. It was easy to do but it also seemed to move more when in and traveling than others. It always worked well. I had read so many bad things about them I was waiting for it to stop. A piece of molding pulled away and require a bit of glue and overnight clamp. I don't see any of these issues with Winnebago quality control. It seemed I had a few more issues for revisit to dealer with last one. The window squeaking should not have made it out of the factory. (front driver and passenger). So many systems and such rough roads some things will always shake loose. I just traded for an Itasca 2016 38Q (see other post). I am still partial to Winnebago. Purchase my first Winnebago Centauri in 1982. Second one off the line. Loved it. 4 cylinder Renault. 24 mpg. Very slow but it was my daily driver and great in snow. I am sure there is always room for improvement and as mentioned there are lemons but Winnebago has been fine with me and warranty issued dealt with promptly and without hassle although I have had nothing major. Hope my luck continues.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
It is not only Winnebago that will put out a lemon every once in a while. All companies do. My friend and I both bought diesel pushers together. I bought the Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser which was their top of the line at that time and he decided to buy a Newmar dutchstar. I have had very few problems with mine through twelve years. He had all kinds of problems with his Newmar. Finally he traded it away for and American Eagle. The Eagle has been great.

So that is what I mean you can get a bad coach with any brand. Even the ones that are suppose to be good coaches. Like they say, IF it is mechanical it can break. The Dutch Star in 2002 was not like the new ones now. I think Newmar has really improved the new DS.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision