cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I learned about new big DPs at the Tampa RV show.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's been a while since I've been to a RV show. O M Goodness, I thought Prevost and Newell DPs were the only ones on the heavy side with 365/70/22.5 tires... NOT. There were even Newmar Dutch Stars with 365s, not just the Mountain Airs with 365s. 54,000 GVWR and 8K of CCC = 46,000 dry weight with a front axle pushing 20K lbs. The pressure needed for the 365s on the front was listed at 125 psi, the 315s on the drive at 85, and the tag at 115. At least Tiffin has moved the fuel tank to in front of the drive axle letting them use 305s all the way around.

The majority of the big rigs were bath and a half which I do not understand taking up that much area for something we do not use that much... different strokes for...... There were also too many with not only dark exteriors but dark interiors... not that I'm looking to buy plus the show prices were all $400K or more.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...
43 REPLIES 43

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Why? $300K and up A's with carpet in the galley and awnings that drop so far down you can't see any views - and they are not adjustable!
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
slickest1 wrote:
I hear you about the weight on these big coaches. You are basically driving the equivalent of a loaded truck with three axles.
My old coach on two axles weighs 33000 which is enough as far as I|am concerned.It has also a dark color on the exterior that seems to cause the paint to crack or haze.
I see not only coaches but all rv's seem to be leaning toward the dark interiors and exteriors.

My maximum gross weight combined is 43,000 pounds, I really do not want to ever be that heavy. Our empty weight is 27,300, we seldom are over 30,000 for the coach. Our interior is a light maple cabinet finish with cream colored furniture. It's open and bright inside.
With the slide in we can comfortably get all the bath and rear bed.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

vector
Explorer
Explorer
We have been disappointed as we shop around at what we consider the glitz and glam of the new RVs. You'd think by now the industry would wake up to the needs of RV buyers that want a light, bright interior, well thought out, with room in the passageways for people to easily move about. Forget those dark interiors with little natural light. Some of these coaches, especially in the back bedrooms, are like caves. Slide arrangements that allow for access to some of the closets and storage while the slides are pulled in are better. Modest furnishings and appointments with weight savings as a consideration (ever lift a box of ceramic tile at the home improvement store?) are pluses. Add in an adequately sized galley countertops, easy access for service and repair of mechanical systems, a chassis that will handle decently without spending a fortune on aftermarket suspension components, a realistic cargo carrying capacity, and competent craftsmanship during the manufacturing process. Just MHO.
2001 GB Pursuit 3512DS
Ford F53 V-10
Banks Powerpack
Trans Command
2002 Honda CR-V AWD

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
I hear you about the weight on these big coaches. You are basically driving the equivalent of a loaded truck with three axles.
My old coach on two axles weighs 33000 which is enough as far as I|am concerned.It has also a dark color on the exterior that seems to cause the paint to crack or haze.
I see not only coaches but all rv's seem to be leaning toward the dark interiors and exteriors.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
The only coach/s I saw at the show that I would really even consider over the one we now have was the Foretravel Realm. The interior was sort of a blend between traditional and modern. The exterior color scheme was not the usually dark you see on so many new coaches. All of them are now so gadget laden and that, to me, means more stuff to break or get goofy. The full rear bath does offer a lot of room but the 1/2 bath up front takes up living space. The Realm they had on display had two full baths, with the front bath having a smaller shower.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We looked only for 1-1/2 bath because a lot of times we travel with our handicapped daughter, grandson, or just guests. It's ideal for us and yes, we love the large rear bathroom. There are even bigger with dual sinks but we don't have that.

Our 5er was dark cherry and it was gorgeous, but I always had to have the lights on. Kind of bugged me after a while so we went with lighter wood and white upholstery this time and I really like the brightness.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
Beyond the bath and a half, now most of the bunk models are two FULL baths.

Looked at the Dutchstar 4310 with two full baths then the 4326 with bath and half. I preferred the 1.5 bath, bunch of storage where the front shower is in the other and king bed instead queen. Even better though was the old 4313 with one giant bath and separate bunk room, basically the same as the Fleetwood Discovery 40G, but one bath is out of style now even in the gassers.

Really wouldn't like to have two separate dump systems like many of them do.
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
When you're in your dotage, as many Class A owners are or are nearing, having 2 johns can be very beneficial.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when I ordered my chieftain I got the Cherry woodwork as it looked much "richer" than the standard Oak that every $8,000 TT had.
bumpy

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Barb and I don't like the dark interiors either, and a rear bath simply doesn't suit our needs. We often over night in rest areas, and do not put the slide out. when we are trying to get some where in a hurry we often change drivers on the run, and do our potty stops while the other is driving.
the only options we wish we had is aqua heat, comfort drive, and LED exterior lighting.
our coach is 15 years old and every thing still works, that says some thing about quality build from day one.
but yes we do have some scratches, dings, but we use the coach and go most places you normally don't see a 40 footer.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Most of our customers use the rear 1.5 bath for themselves and like the mid bath/toilet for their "friends" and family. Doug

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
The bath and a half models are built out of necessity, not vanity. Most people now prefer a large rear bath. RV's went from all in one baths to split baths and now the trend is full rear baths. When you build a coach with a rear bath, the toilet can't be accessed while driving. Consequently, the need for the half bath.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

two-niner
Explorer
Explorer
No matter the chassis maker, the weakest link is always the tires.

It must be mind games that make the interiors so dark. That way, the super high gloss finish makes a person go "wow". I have never been in a home where all the rooms were so dark.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
The wife and I are going to the Tampa show on Saturday. Going to get there when they open because it usually fills up very fast. I love looking at all the Class A motorhomes (we are looking to purchase one) but then I get sticker shock and go home. Will probably buy used but I do like to kick the tires and see all the cool floorplans.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)