cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's the best way to seal this leak?

dperkinstx
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 spots where the side of the camper is no longer tucked under the trim. It's so short I don't think I can get the trim to cover the siding. What's the best way to seal these areas?

I found some Loctite All Purpose 2 in 1 Seal & Bond. Will that stuff work?

12 REPLIES 12

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
Yes and I have had eterna bond blow off too. But the rerpairs this guy needs is abouve his $$ most likley. And I stand by my Dap product..

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
dperkinstx wrote:
I have 3 spots where the side of the camper is no longer tucked under the trim. It's so short I don't think I can get the trim to cover the siding. What's the best way to seal these areas?

I found some Loctite All Purpose 2 in 1 Seal & Bond. Will that stuff work?

I agree with previous posts that this type of issue is likely indicating a larger issue inside causing the material to expand and separate. Here is my advice:
- Do NOT use DAP anywhere on your RV - its a recipe for disaster
- The only thing worse than DAP is silicone
- Do find the original leak and fix it (most likely above) as other have posted'
- Do dry the interior completely - removing panels if necessary

Patch with Proflex or a similar RV exterior caulking. I used Wurth Bond and Seal and it is amazing - hard to get but amazing. As other have said above Eternabond is a great product, in my opinion though it is very unsightly in visible areas like you have here.

If the area flexes too much and break the caulking bead you have no choice but to open the area and fix it.

BTW: the point above about the whole area blowing away when driving is nonsense (in my opinion anyway)

short_kid
Explorer
Explorer
I would not drive that too far or fast, you may end up with a convertible. That under side should not be on the cab roof, indication severe structure damage. A complete rebuild is in the future. While working on the inside you may end up on the hood if you are as heavy as me!!!!!!!! Good luck.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
That much separation (especially on both sides) likely means major water damage. Don't open anything up unless you are ready to completely rebuild the cabover.

To patch for now and address damage later, I also recommend Eternabond. Don't remove trim or dismantle anything. Just put the eternabond over the top and then get the roof leak figured out. You need to stop all water entry from the roof.

Good luck.

Jose

ronfisherman
Sealing the seams that you show in your pictures will only make water collect in cab-over. Leak is probably some place in the roof area. 3 most common are clearance lights, roof seams and front window.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
As some of you may know, I've dealt with a cabover leak for some time. If I had it to do all over again I'd get directly to Eternabond tape. I've enjoyed Winnie through 23 states and over 20,000 miles and will continue to enjoy. Just my 2 cents.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
all the above its leaking up high runing down ,and the woods already shot,gotta come apart.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
More than likely there is already a lot of rotten wood and dangerous mold. Your choices are very limited. Junk it, or take everything apart, eliminate all dangerous mold and put it back together right. Patches are not going to cut it very long.

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Why is it pulling apart?Sealing it may stop some leakage,but the underlying problem is what you need to fix first.

RoadAbode
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
The side sticks out so much I think that most of the std stuff isn't going to work ... I would go with Eternabond tape.

It's likely you have significant water damage in the cab over area - that might require a rebuild for a proper fix - there are lots of threads on that subject which you can access using the forum search feature.

I'd second all these points. that kind of damage Eternabond is a quick fix for a season or few trips, but it's going to require some more work to do it right.
Kinda like what I had to do for RoadAbode's Rear

I covered it up with Eternabond until I could get to it and fix it proper. Good Luck!
The RoadAbode Crew
Mike ~ Amy ~ Kimberly ~ Emily ~ and Molly the pup
RoadAbode Blog

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
The side sticks out so much I think that most of the std stuff isn't going to work ... I would go with Eternabond tape.

It's likely you have significant water damage in the cab over area - that might require a rebuild for a proper fix - there are lots of threads on that subject which you can access using the forum search feature.
Kevin

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
I have had many differnt spots of needed repairs. I always carry and use this product inside and out.
by DAP, Kwik Seal Plus, bright white.
Premium Kitchen and Bath ADHESIVE Sealant.

Have installed vents, window seals sinks and patched many spots.
NOW a cavat If you are going to put it on a wind bearing surface,you may wish to put in some small stainless screws to hold it securly. The adhesive will do a great job.
I have not used that particular product you have, but try it in a place to see if it will hold.
And always use a pressure applied to the area after you put it all togather.. Make sure it is clean, I alwaus carry a can of denatured alcohal to clean as it cleans and drys very fast.
My 2p
Good luck
Chuck in Falcon Heights, TX