cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to look for when buying a Residential Frig

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I see a lot of people use the Samsung 197 when converting there 4 door Norcold to Residential. Is there a reason for this model? Besides the obvious, like dimensions......what else should one look for when switching......like power draw? will it run on a modified swine wave etc? I don't know if I have a modified or pure sine wave invertor.......does it say on the invertor? Mine came with the motorhome from Fleetwood.........do they typically use pure or modified? Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
The Samsung 197 won't work for me, too tall. When my 1200 gives it up, I have already selected the unit to be installed. Unfortunately it has to have PSW inverter. So in preparation for the project I purchased a PSW inverter and had it installed last February So I have a 2800 watt PSW inverter and four 6V house batteries. The electrical part is good to go. In older coaches with lower ceilings its a game of inches. My wife want a French door unit, so the Fisher and Paykel 17 cu ft is about the only thing that will fit, height wise. If things go as planned, will have it done on the yearly snow bird trip to Arizona. Best laid plans.....
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
kdk wrote:
Be sure to get a counter depth model, 24 inches verses 30 inches box depth with doors removed. This shallower depth keeps the refer from protruding into living space and in my case allowed it to come in the entry door instead of removing a window.
kdk
Excellent advise.

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
We put a small Frigidaire in our other MH, and they are not rated for a MSW inverter, so we didn't hook ours up to the inverter as we never boondock. I'm thinking I read that on Frigidaire's website-can't remember where I found out. I do know that Frigidaire will not honor the warranty if installed in an RV. Ours was a 12 cu. ft. and only cost $490.00, so we weren't worried about the warranty. Another reason so many use Samsung is they will honor the warranty, and they are able to use the MSW inverter. I would call whichever manufacturer you decide on and ask those questions.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

docj
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the Samsung RF197 is Energy Star certified so it has a pretty low power draw. We've had ours 3 years and have had no complaints. The only design issue I have with it is that if the ice maker is low and working hard to make ice, the freezer temperature drops automatically so the ice cream gets brick hard. But I can live with hard ice cream, rather than soft!
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to get a counter depth model, 24 inches verses 30 inches box depth with doors removed. This shallower depth keeps the refer from protruding into living space and in my case allowed it to come in the entry door instead of removing a window.
kdk
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Samsung is popular due to its size (fits side to side but needs an additional 6" vertical clearance and it works with a MSW inverter. I have a GE profile (which is a larger side-by-side fridge) and it worked well on MSW inverter as well. I am not sure how you would know if one fridge did or did not work unless you know someone who has tried.
It's most likely that you have a MSW inverter as they are cheaper and typically used.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?