cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Alarm

rvdogmom40
Explorer
Explorer
DH was preparing our 04 PW for the first trip of the season. I planned to have a "girl's getaway --just the dog and I. As I was working the propane alarm started going off. Previously I had tested the stove by briefly turning it on. There is no odor in the PW or out by the tank. Seems like I remember from previous postings that these alarms occasionally fail (ours is original dated 8/03).

DH unscrewed face plate and found wires "crimped" and not joined with wire nuts. Is it a big deal to DIY? I don't want to be jolted out of sleep in the middle of the night and not be able to stop the noise. Nor do I want a gas leak.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

dreed
Explorer
Explorer
Mine failed last year on my 04. I didn't even know they had a time limit. But no big deal to replace. The original manufacturer went out of business and the holes of the replacement don't line up just right but it's just 2 wires and you can recrimp or even use wire nuts I suppose.

Dave 04 P/W Excel TD

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
An 03 unit should be replaced. They have an exp date
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a low voltage alarm, you can cure it by turning off power to the alarm for a few minutes. If you turn it back on and get no alarm, you had a low voltage situation. If it continues to beep, it needs replacing.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem with ours in our 2005 PW Excel when it was brand new. Phil at PW sent me a new replacement which I changed. The next trip, in the middle of the night, it went off and I thought I was going to have a heart attack! No, there was no gas leak, we don't have a dog and no beans for dinner! Oh and the wife uses hair spray in the morning only.

After some research and tinkering, I located an adjusting screw and and "toned" things down so that it works fine now after some testing. But, I still have not reattached the stupid thing because I don't think my heart nor my wife's can take the jarring shock in the middle of the night when I'm deep asleep! Yup, I'll take my chances!

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issue with our 05 Plateau last year. Just replaced it as the CCI company is out of business.

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
How much is peace of mind worth? Get a new one and sleep easy.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Was it a constant beep or just an occasional chirp?

Constant beep is ALARM

Occasional chirp....low battery voltage or failing unit.

8/03 RV.....replace. It is over due.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
There should be an expiration date on the back of the alarm. IIRC, 5 yrs. I recommend replacing the unit now and be done with it for a while.