cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to watch for when buying new from dealer

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Looking thru the RV Trader at some discounted prices with a friend. He commented that if looks to good to be true, it is. He commented that they tack on prep fees, transportation fees and PDI fees which can mount to $1,000's and then try to get you to buy a extended warranty.
True? What to look for?
24 REPLIES 24

fivejackie
Explorer
Explorer
We liked dealing with Mike Thompson, sales and service. It was a very pleasant experience. The best thing to do is shop around and find a dealer you like. Best time to make a deal is at the end of the month, they are always pushing for sales.
Don and Jackie
2115 Hurricane 27K
2113 Redhawk
1992 Pace Arrow

RVMike
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, DDC is the old McMahons lot. Went there after Mike Thompson gave me back MY MH with dead chassie and coach batterie's. Mike Thompson might get better now that they have competition . Thompson guys are so arragont I don't think it will happen. I was with the DDC guy for 5 minutes and already felt like they care. Can't say more because of possible legal issues's

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
RVMike wrote:
Do your homework and goggle or yelp the dealer. It's amazing what comments you will find. Just discovered DDC in Garden Grove going there after a bad experience from my selling dealer

Is DDC Dennis Dillon? Saw he took over the McMahon lot. No reviews yet.

West_Beachhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Some very sound advice we received, decide on your price, taxes, license, warranty, etc...Create your "bottom line out the door" price and stick to it.

Happy shopping.

West Beachhouse

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
when you buy is as important as where you buy and who you buy from.i bought my boat in december.needless to say,buying any rv in december in canada leaves the ball firmly in your court.also hit the rv shows for the "show" prices.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I always tell dealers thay can apply any fees they like, so long as it's coming out of their side of the price.

Only one number matters and that's the bottom line. Deal on that and forget the rest.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with Mike Thompson RV Fountain Valley Sales was very good. I couldn't be more pleased. I started my RV search with trepidation, as I have spoken with many salespeople over the years who have absolutely no knowledge of RVs or RVing. I started dealing with Cher Lyckman, who has RVed, does RV, and was exceptionally knowledgeable regarding her products and many of the other brands on the road. Every promise made by the Mike Thompson store was fulfilled, there was no upselling, no pressure, just a good experience and I believe I received a fair deal. During the negotiations, which took months because we were not sure just what we wanted, they offered to bring a coach down from another store for inspection, a 2014. We were asked to put up a "$1,000 good faith refundable deposit". We did, after making sure numerous time it was refundable. We did not purchase that MH, and our deposit was instantly refunded...actually the check was returned uncashed. We did then purchase a 2015 with a floor plan which matched our requirements. I am a happy camper and I will continue to recommend Mike Thompson RV to my friends. JMHO Happy Trails.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
double post

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Just he prepared to walk. Doesn't matter how much they add on or what they call it. Give them your bottom line as a final #. Take it or leave it. However, expect taxes and registration fees. Ask them about their book fees, loan fees, interest rates before they even start writing. If too high it is easy to get up and walk. If new RV manufactures usually give 1 year free road service.

RVMike
Explorer
Explorer
Do your homework and goggle or yelp the dealer. It's amazing what comments you will find. Just discovered DDC in Garden Grove going there after a bad experience from my selling dealer