cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you buy for a $175,000?

HOM
Explorer
Explorer
From what I’ve learned from you about buying a used coach is nothing is more important than the chassis and the best chassis is the semi-monocoque because of its strength and rigidity! I also understand that an aluminum/metal exterior is also the best.

Its my understanding that both of these things are available on the Monaco and Country Coach in the years I’m looking for. I have to stay with a coach that is no more than 10 years old because I’ll need to finance part of it.

I’m looking for;

• 2005 to 2010
• 45’ Motorhome
• Bath and a half
• Two or more slides
• King sized bed or Queen

What do you think and I'd be happy to hear other recommendations you have?

Thanks for your help,
51 REPLIES 51

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
HOM wrote:
I noticed that some have mentioned a Gasser. Are there many of you who would full time in one?

Many full timers have a coach that's less than 40ft, so given that, what's the difference? The only way a DP really pays off in the long run is for racking up a lot of miles year after year and not all full timers do that. In fact, with our summer trips that have averaged around 8K miles plus weekenders, we may have surpassed the average full timer, as I've seen them just sitting for many months at a time.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
HOM wrote:
I noticed that some have mentioned a Gasser. Are there many of you who would full time in one?

There are many, many full-timers in a gas unit....along with cargo vans and any other kind of RV. There's no rule you have to have a diesel to full-time. Many of our friends don't and they've been happy with whatever they have. Also, we all travel in the mountains in the West.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
HOM wrote:

Yes, in the one I own now and the sooner the better!

HOM
Explorer
Explorer

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Would buy a 2000-2003 Foretravel and pocket the difference, than smile at the world.:)
But already have one, so keep it all invested.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
-Gramps- wrote:
None of the Winnie UFO owners that I keep in touch with have ever mentioned any problems at all with the roof. You are correct about the HP rating of the Chevy 8.1 although WH used to say that the relative HP rating was better than standard due to the lack of drivetrain hp loss because the engine was in the rear. I understand that..my coach has much better acceleration from 0 to 55 and can climb grades easier than my smaller Bounder did with the same engine in the front.

I have nothing against Winnebago (had two, there were OK) but nothing Winnebago makes or has made in recent years meets the OP's criteria. From his post (and others he has made) it appears he is looking for a more high level used coach that he can get for his stated $175K budget.

Well, a gasser front or rear, isn't going to cut it I guess.

If I was going to buy a 175,000 dollar coach it would be for a coach like this one:

Foretravel

I have mentioned to my wife that the only "next" coach I would want would be a Foretravel.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
shaneperch wrote:
Yes I was a landlord and it was HHHEEEELLLLLLLLLL NEVER AGAIN!!!!! HELL No!!!
Especially an absentee one.. out trying to enjoy a motorhome!

Agree. When we bought our home on a lake here in VA, the developer offered the house next door at a great and tempting price. He said I could easily rent it every week from April thru October and enjoy the profit. The numbers looked really good on paper. However, I waited and saw what the 'vacation' renters did to the rental units in our neighborhood and decided it would drive me nuts.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
shaneperch wrote:
Especially an absentee one.. out trying to enjoy a motorhome!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
shaneperch wrote:
2oldman wrote:
okhmbldr wrote:
I would buy a $175k house, rent it for $1800/mo. Use the income to make the payment on a $175k motor home.
Nice idea. You ever been a landlord?

Not to side track but becoming a landlord only looks good on paper.

The taxes, maintenance and repairs will eat into that 'income' really fast. All of the people I know that have rental property, most have had trouble with renters. A few of them are very lucky and have a good tenant.

I rent a storage garage all year long whether I'm using it or not. In 8 yrs., the landlord has not gone up on my rent because he knows I pay on time and keep the garage clean. I hope he keeps it that way.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
okhmbldr wrote:
I would buy a $175k house, rent it for $1800/mo. Use the income to make the payment on a $175k motor home.
Nice idea. You ever been a landlord?

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
-Gramps- wrote:
None of the Winnie UFO owners that I keep in touch with have ever mentioned any problems at all with the roof. You are correct about the HP rating of the Chevy 8.1 although WH used to say that the relative HP rating was better than standard due to the lack of drivetrain hp loss because the engine was in the rear. I understand that..my coach has much better acceleration from 0 to 55 and can climb grades easier than my smaller Bounder did with the same engine in the front.

I have nothing against Winnebago (had two, there were OK) but nothing Winnebago makes or has made in recent years meets the OP's criteria. From his post (and others he has made) it appears he is looking for a more high level used coach that he can get for his stated $175K budget.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
-Gramps- wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
-Gramps- wrote:
I would think seriously about this one for less than 90k and put the rest of the money in the bank.

Winnie Adventurer LTD.

I guess it takes one "gas pusher" to recommend something like that.

I guess I am a "gas pusher" pusher.

Nice motorhome for the price, however the salesman is over stating the HP by a little, the 8.1 was only rated by 340 hp not 415 as stated in add, also does that Winnebago have that roof that blows off added with the deal..

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
HOM wrote:
From what I’ve learned from you about buying a used coach is nothing is more important than the chassis and the best chassis is the semi-monocoque because of its strength and rigidity! I also understand that an aluminum/metal exterior is also the best.

Its my understanding that both of these things are available on the Monaco and Country Coach in the years I’m looking for. I have to stay with a coach that is no more than 10 years old because I’ll need to finance part of it.

I’m looking for;

• 2005 to 2010
• 45’ Motorhome
• Bath and a half
• Two or more slides
• King sized bed or Queen

What do you think and I'd be happy to hear other recommendations you have?

Thanks for your help,

HJ

If you cant afford paying $175,000 cash for a diesel motorhome than what funds will you have when that used diesel breaks down and cost thousands to repair..

You might want to think long term with your money and buy a new gas motorhome for less than $175,000 and have full warranty for 2 to 3 years..

However gas motorhomes don't get much longer than 38 foot but they do have king beds and bath and a half, my 33 footer has a king bed.