cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which engine for a used Winnebago Journey?

siguccs
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to buy a 36 ft used Winnebago Journey. For the price I can afford, there are two engines available, Cat 7.2 liter or Cummins 5.9 liter.
Do you think one is significantly better than the other? My main concers are power in the hills and reliability.

Thanks!
34 REPLIES 34

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Myself and two of my family members own DP's of the same vintage. All holiday rambler endeavor's 38' in length. Mine and my brother's are both '99 models with the 275HP cummins ISB. My dad's is the C7 CAT with 330HP. I have driven all three. All three perform great. The CAT does have slightly more noticeable power but not a heap more.

I like my cummins ISB. It has 660 LB/FT of torque. The power is more than adequate and pulls hills with ease, even heavily loaded. All of ours have the allison 3000 series 6 speed. Great transmissions!

Mine gets a hand calculated 9.63 MPG. This is combined flat, in the hills, and quite a bit of generator usage. My dad's with the C7 gets about 7 max. So yes, he has more power, but he gets less mileage.

Would I rather have the CAT? Not sure. I do like my fuel mileage better than his, and mine gets me where I need to go with ease. Pick the cleanest rig you can find and don't worry about the engine.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
bobman wrote:
which is easier to service for a do it yourselfer

changing filters etc??

A side radiator makes things a whole lot easier.

About the only thing that it does make it easier to change would be the fan belts if it had any. The filters on mine are outside the rear radiator and just inside the hood (easy to change out).
The side radiators do not have a belt, they are hydraulic operated. So probably the only thing easier would be your alternator/ power steering pump and air conditioning serpentine belt. That I will say would be a lot easier to change then with the rear radiator.

The Cat engine is much better then the ISB Cummins, more torque. The Journey probably has the Cat engine.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Generally Winnebago's have the AC/heat pump where the side radiator goes.

More expensive chassis has nothing to do with side radiators or larger engines. My friend in Florida has the exact coach I have and he has a side radiator and mine has the rear. Same chassis except mine has the Cat 3126 E and his has the ISB.
2017 Buick Envision

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
bobman wrote:
does the engine type determine if its a side radiator?

thanks

Generally speaking NO. Suspect the Freightliner chassis Winnebago used with either engine is REAR radiator.

Side radiators are found on more expensive chassis and generally those with larger engines.
2017 Buick Envision

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, the Caterpillar 7.2 will be between 275 and 330 HP, most with 860 lb ft of torque at 1,440. Perhaps 375HP is in a marine application with unlimited cooling, but not in an RV application.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Gypsy1
Explorer
Explorer
The Cummins ISB 5.9 Engine is a good engine and is generally combined with the Allison 2000MH trany. The ISB 275hp (5.9) is a flat land engine when in a coach. the Allison 2000MH tranny is limited to 600FP torque and Banks enhancement would exceed the limits of the tranny. Unless you are exclusively east coast flatlander like me, go with the 375hp Cat.
Winny, Journey WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000MH, 5 speed Auto, Raptor Air Dog fuel pump, towing 2012 Nisson Xterra 4X4 Auto W/ drive shaft disconnect!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
bobman wrote:

thanks

Generally speaking NO. Suspect the Freightliner chassis Winnebago used with either engine is REAR radiator.

Side radiators are found on more expensive chassis and generally those with larger engines.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Cat 3126-E and filters are easy to change out, about the only thing that would be hard when ever it needs changing are the two fan belts. That is where the side radiator really helps having. But I have sixty thousand miles on my Cat engine and had it in for service at Freight liner Las Vegas and they told me the belts were still good. So I bought the two belts anyways to carry in case I have to change them out. Other then that I just changed the oil and oil filter. Fuel filter is very easy to change out since it is outside the radiator and just inside the hood. Air filter is not bad to change out.

Both engines will last you a long time, so go for the floor plan that fits you.
2017 Buick Envision

bobman
Explorer
Explorer

thanks

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
bobman wrote:

changing filters etc??

A side radiator makes things a whole lot easier.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

bobman
Explorer
Explorer

changing filters etc??

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Cat will have more hP and torque.
5.9 will get better MPG but be a little slower

I would buy the one my wife like best
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

RBabb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cat and it seems like a good power plant. If given a choice I'd prefer a cummins, but there are more important things.
08 Ram 3500 Big Horn, DRW, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, 6.7 CTD, 6sp Auto, B&W Companion, Prodigy Controller

08 Ram 2500 Big Horn, SRW, Crew Cab, short Bed, 4x4, 6.7 ctd

01 NUWA 39SUT Packrat, 40' Toy hauler- sold
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 36c

siguccs
Explorer
Explorer
It turned out that the motorhomes in our price range that we liked the most didn't really offer us a choice. We had to buy a CAT, so we did! (We didn't end up with a Journey after all.)

All we can say so far is that the CAT is definitely far better than our old Chevy gas model.