cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Here Doulbe Tows Behind Your Motorhome

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a Jeep Wrangler behind my motorhome and also looking at towing a small boat behind Jeep, I have checked the laws and I am legal in many states as long as I am under 70 foot, just wanting to know who also does this and how well does it work, I just can't carry my canoe on Jeep roof, to heavy to lift and no where to put motor, so I bought a trailer for canoe.

Also have the police pulled you over for this to check length.

Post pics if you got em, would like to see your set-up.
19 REPLIES 19

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
rayhough wrote:
Why doesn't anyone consider GCWR & GVWR when answering these questions?
Have Happy and safe New Year
Cause with the one in the pic that Glenn posted, with 7 axles, it is probably under the GCWR and GVWR. Those Class 8 truck chassis are rated at GVWR of 52.000 pounds and can tow behind it another 40,000 to 60,000 pounds behind it. It does not compare to your average Diesel Pusher, let alone a average gas powered motorhome.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
There is always some leo out there somewhere waiting to write a triple tow RVer a ticket longer than a witch's dream! Your day will come. I know one who writes only luxury cars. He has never written a plain Jane Ford or Chevy, but let him see a Mercedes speeding, and he has a field day!!!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

rayhough
Explorer
Explorer
Why doesn't anyone consider GCWR & GVWR when answering these questions?
Have Happy and safe New Year
Life is like a roll of toilet paper
the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.
Enjoy it what's left.
Happy traveling, Ray :W

Hjudge49
Explorer
Explorer
Check the state laws very carefully. Even many of those that permit double towing require that the first trailer be a fifth wheel. Most state laws are designed to deal with tractor trailer rigs, not recreational vehicles and were enacted to regulate over the road truckers who are legal on Federal highways.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:
timmac wrote:
I tow a Jeep Wrangler behind my motorhome and also looking at towing a small boat behind Jeep, I have checked the laws and I am legal in many states as long as I am under 70 foot, just wanting to know who also does this and how well does it work, I just can't carry my canoe on Jeep roof, to heavy to lift and no where to put motor, so I bought a trailer for canoe.

Also have the police pulled you over for this to check length.

Post pics if you got em, would like to see your set-up.

Here is a link that has a number of MH with trailers behind, and in it is a number of double tows

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/trailers-you-tow-behind-your-mh-pictures-of-the-whole-rig-181760.htm...

Wait for the commercial to end.

http://america.discovery.com/tv-shows/epic/videos/the-powerhouse-coach.htm

over 100 ft long?
bumpy

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Come thru California...they need the money...just sayin.....Dennis

P.S. Anyone have more popcorn...:h...I'm out....D
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Blaster Man wrote:
What is the GCWR and the GVWRof your MH and the tow ratings of your hitch, chassis, and MH...if different?

Mine has 5000lbs towing rate, but Jeep is only 3600lbs and boat with trailer should be about 500lbs.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
timmac wrote:
Here is a link for state laws for double or triple tow as some call it..

Just click on the state and read the restrictions..

http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

If you are going to rely on that table, be sure you have a good lawyer.
I can't speak for any state other than Montana, but I know it is VERY wrong on several points and, at best, incomplete on others.
I don't believe anything shown there!

Yes states do change laws every year and one must check before traveling, as to Nevada we use to have a R endorsement for triple tow but no longer is needed if under 70 foot.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
What are the GCWR and the GVWRs of your MH and the tow ratings of your hitch, chassis, and MH...if any are different?
2014 American Eagle

dalehelman
Explorer
Explorer
With our MH I towed my jeep and a pair of jet skies. OK in Mont. Idaho Nev. New Mexico and Texas. I did get stopped in Az. they require a fifth wheel between the first to vehicles. I was not cited I just unhooked and was allowed to continue.
Dale & Sandi
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2015 Little Guy T@B Sofitel
Liberty Lake (Spokane) WA.

DIY Manual replacement for Workhorse Auto Park emergency brake.

Stay In Play Duo Toad Braking System

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Max in Ca is 65ft and its legal

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
There was a member here. Who has a Class A, a toad and a flat trailer with a dune buggy on it.
He went from AR. To Mexico all the time. No problem.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Here is a link for state laws for double or triple tow as some call it..

Just click on the state and read the restrictions..

http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

If you are going to rely on that table, be sure you have a good lawyer.
I can't speak for any state other than Montana, but I know it is VERY wrong on several points and, at best, incomplete on others.
I don't believe anything shown there!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Many?

I will admit I don't know the laws of every state, but if it's legal in Nevada, that makes three states (that I know of) Montana, Texas and Nevada.

It's NOT in Washington, Oregon, California, nor probably every state east of the Mississippi.
Again, wrong information, as many provide when this subject comes up. 39 states allow double towing and of the 3 states he said were a no no, 2 allow it under certain conditions. ID allows it and the legal length is 75'.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today