cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who weighs?

tstryk
Explorer
Explorer
I have had this motorhome for 8 years and have never weighed it. I just kept a certain pressure in the tires. I know this goes against the grain to some on here. I just want to see how many of you actually weigh your rig and adjust air pressure accordingly and how many just keep their tires aired to a given pressure.
2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PDQ
2014 Ford Fiesta frog
Tucker the schnauzer, Buddy and Cooper the labs
49 REPLIES 49

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I would be worried if I had a big massive coach with granite tops and marble floors. Some of these luxury coaches that have all the amenities you can think off weigh a lot. So the carrying capacity is cut down to where you got to watch what you load and carry in those compartments.

But the ordinary coaches with the corian countertops usually have great carry capacity.

One coach that comes to my mind that has very little CC is the Beaver Marqui. Everything on those coaches used to be very heavy.

But entry level coaches are not very heavy, and what do ordinary RVers carry anyways. Reclining chairs, BB grill, outdoor carpet, a couple of folding bicycles, a tool box, brooms and mops, cleaning supplies. etc etc.

The thing is that all this stuff ordinary RVers carry do not amount to much weight. What weighs a lot are the fuel tank, water tank. Most of these luxury or big coaches are designed very poorly. Once they get all that junk into these massive coaches, the CC is gone. So in my opinion those are the owners that have to watch the weight on their coaches.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

teddyu
Explorer
Explorer
Weighed mine twice, once to determine loading on the suspension; second time after I redistributed the loose load (tools, bicycles, chairs, etc.) for a better balance. I will weigh again if I have any MAJOR changes (additions or deletions) that could affect the balance. Besides an alignment, probably the best fix other than doing the CHF. JM2¢...
Ted Fulltiming in the DreamCatcher a
2008 Challenger 371PE on F53 w/ 2010 Cobalt
R'V there yet?

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I re weighed mine after and major upgrade. I pulled a sofa and table and put in a dining bar. Lost a bit of weight on that side. Then added a residential fridge to the same side. No real change but added granite to the other side. Increased the coach weight but it was even. I was 200 pounds more on the drivers side now pretty even. 115 fronts with 5 psi margin for safety and 100 rears with same margin. Could make the rag less but keep it even so easier to remember.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

homedad
Explorer
Explorer
Never weighed any of mine in 30 years. I probably would if someone came to my house and asked to do it while I'm working or sleeping or doing chores etc.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you monitor your tire temperatures, an overload situation will quickly show up as a tire running much hotter than the others. Naturally low air pressure will do the same things so you need to check which is causing the increase in tire temperature.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Executive,

I would think your Monaco is full up on tire pressure all the time. I, too, run the max in all six of my tires. Being overweight is the biggest issue and for those that have a small margin of cargo weight need to see where their weight is. Nothing is absolute; you can't say that an underweight coach is 100% safe just as you can't say an overloaded coach is 100% dangerous. Too many variables. It is smart to know where you are if you think you are close but isn't crucial if you think you are below. I haven't weighed mine and I am not even close to GVWR.

dub
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any time weighing is brought up, IMHO, the answers tend to go from the bizarre, to the amazing to the absurd....it costs less than $10 to weigh your rig. Even less if you have it reweighed. That said, there are many reasons why one would want their rig weighed. Tire pressure is but one factor. A properly loaded rig will handle better, ride better and perform better. Think shocks, axles, brakes etc. Abuse your equipment and eventually it will fail on you, usually at the worst possible moment. Overload your rig...sure, why not...I loved the comment, (paraphrasing)..I weighed my truck and found I was grossly over the GCWR so I'm never going to weigh my rig again...Ignorance is bliss, I guess....or to quote Ron White;

"You can fix a lot of things, but you can't fix stupid".....just sayin.....:S....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I weighed rigs for 8 years while traveling full time as a side line job. People who had tire issues searched me out to see why the tires were failing. Many rigs are not anywhere near evenly balanced side to side. It was not unusual to find 800lbs to 2300lbs difference side to side or one one wheel location. Having a rig roll over a CAT scale would never show these side to side imbalances. If for nothing else the owner knew how his coach/trailer was carrying the weights. Did weights change, sure but every single thing inside that rig has a weight attached to it, and where it sits or is mounted makes the carrying capacity different. Some coaches right out of the factory were heavy on one wheel position before anyone even added their personal items. You don't want to know how your rig is carrying weight, your choice, then don't get weighed, but getting a weigh by wheel position will at least let you know what it is you have. I no longer own the weighing business but see the need for this service. It is very difficult to get it done other than at an RV rally where a person has invested the 7 to 10,000 dollars in accurate scales designed to weigh each wheel position. Folks that do this type of weighing have taken the time to understand the ins and outs of weighing to give repeatable numbers. Driving off center on a CAT drive on scale is not the way that scale was designed to weigh, it is a drive on, meaning all wheels not just one or two. Just my 2 cents.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
We weigh a couple times a year. We have been asked by the scale operator a couple times "Why are you weighing your motor home?" We tell them we weigh to find out what tire pressure we should be using and trying to stay under GVWR. I'm also interested in finding out what the toad weighs.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to weigh my RV
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
I never have weighed the corners. I just keep 100 lbs in front tires and 90 lbs on each rear tire. If that chassis can not carry what I have in the compartments, then it is time to get rid of the coach. We really do not carry anything that is heavy. The heaviest thing on the coach would be the water tank full and the fuel tank full. We never carry full black or gray tanks.
X-2, except I run 100 PSI all around!

DutchStar38
Explorer
Explorer
9 yrs and never been weighed. Grey & Black water tanks are emptied prior to rolling. Water tank maybe 1/2 full. I run 100 psi in front and 90psi in rear doolies. I either pull a 30 ft enclosed trailer with 2 harleys in it or a car dolly with a Volvo V70 wagon on it. Tires replaced at 6 years for age only.
Ronny & Lynda
Sammy (Brussells Griffon/Maltese mix)
TJ (Micro Teacup 2.1 lbs Poodle)
2005 Newmar DutchStar 3809 DP
2002 HarleyDavidson Ultra

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
tstryk wrote:
Is there anything dangerous about running the pressure "too high" as long as they are not overinflated?

Almost an oxymoron-- the tires on our coach call for 70 PSI for the lightest load and 105 for the most they will safely carry.

If our coach came in calling for 70 PSI, and we inflated to 105, I would sure call that overinflated, though not over max on the sidewall.

In reality, you HOPE there is a real difference between recommended minimum PSI and the max on the sidewall. That indicates that you have a reasonable safety margin/the tire is not carrying all it can.

If your actual weight is close to the capacity of the tire-- sure, inflating to the sidewall pressure is fine.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

tstryk
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
I found out that the pressure in the rear tires was too high for the weight.

Is there anything dangerous about running the pressure "too high" as long as they are not overinflated?
2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PDQ
2014 Ford Fiesta frog
Tucker the schnauzer, Buddy and Cooper the labs