cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why do TPMS systems fail?

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone has had there tire pressure monitors not give PSI readings if there is another wireless device nearby? I sent back a TPMS system because the monitor would only read the PSI on one or 2 tires and the rest of them were blank.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
46 REPLIES 46

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Camp2Camp wrote:
We bought a TPMS system - Tire Minder TMG300C. We installed it for our four travel trailer tires, checked the pressure on the four trailer tires, and everything looked good. We drove about 200 miles, got to our site, detached the camper, and then drove into town for supplies. Here's what is weird. After detaching the camper, we drove for an hour with the TPMS monitor in the car and the TPMS monitor continued to show tire pressures for all four trailer tires! We were an hour away from the camper when finally ONE tire on the monitor started showing a "no signal" warning. Has this happened to anyone? How do I know whether the TPMS is really updating every 20 seconds like it's supposed to do so?

I recently replaced a Pressure Pro system with the TST system. When the sensor is out of range of the receiver it will not alarm for 1 hour. It also displays last pressure/temperature readings. I confirmed this with TST customer service. My Pressure Pro system would alarm after 15 minutes.

If you have marginal reception of a sensor such as a trailer behind a 5th wheel you may not be getting data on a timely manner and may miss a real event such as rapid loss of pressure. The 1 hour timer resets each time there is a successful transmission from a sensor.

You can clear the TST alarm by removing power for a short time. I do this when I am away from the 5th wheel shopping eating dinner out etc.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
John S. wrote:
I would never put them on my coach. Lots of friends had issues with them over time. Some people swear by them though. You can not protect against everything. One day the inside the wheel sensors will become more popular for big rigs. I will not put a hunk of metal and plastic on a valve stem and spin it.

I think I agree on this. I have a TST system and had a monitor fail and several sensors. TST replaced the monitor and the sensors but I then had more sensors fail. I got tired of fooling with it.

My '07 coach has the Smart Tire system which works very well. However, the company no longer supports the RV industry. I believe a few of the Les Schwab will install/program the sensors if you can find a source of them.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
my (second) TST system will go hours still showing pressure from the toad tires under those conditions.

I "assume" it will react instantly to a change in pressure, someday I"ll have to actually check that.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Camp2Camp wrote:
We bought a TPMS system - Tire Minder TMG300C. We installed it for our four travel trailer tires, checked the pressure on the four trailer tires, and everything looked good. We drove about 200 miles, got to our site, detached the camper, and then drove into town for supplies. Here's what is weird. After detaching the camper, we drove for an hour with the TPMS monitor in the car and the TPMS monitor continued to show tire pressures for all four trailer tires! We were an hour away from the camper when finally ONE tire on the monitor started showing a "no signal" warning. Has this happened to anyone? How do I know whether the TPMS is really updating every 20 seconds like it's supposed to do so?

not w/ uur TST system.... when i detach our toad - usually to back the coach in the CG slot or at our storage after a trip, by the time i get back in the coach the thing is alarming that its lost the toad signal.

when i change the batteries or have to adjust the pressure - as soon as i remove the sensor i get alarms.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Camp2Camp
Explorer
Explorer

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Ive got the TST system - never had a leak or problem

Have the sensors on the toad too...leave 'em on 24/7/365 - even when we're not towing the jeep I drive around w/ the sensors threaded on the valve stem....never had an issue.

I've got the TST 507 system with replaceable batteries...its a HUGE time saver....never have to drag out and compressor / air lines OR even a pressure gauge....just turn on the monitor to check my tire pressures.

i replace the batteries every 15 - 18 months (when i start to see one of the units stop reporting) -
10 batteries run me less than 4 bucks (38 cents per batteries, including shipping).

fwiw - TST does make an IN the tire sensor for those that think theres something wrong w/ threaded-on sensors.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I used to sell the tire pressure system and also installed it for the new owner when they bought from me. Many many times the valve core stem was not in the proper position to activate the sensor, or just barely in the right position and the sensor would give a reading, but after a short time would stop sending pressure or temperature. A minor adjustment of that core stem up a tad, I'm talking a smidge would fix the problem of the monitor receiving a signal. In talking with the system company, most of the returned senders worked perfectly on their test valves and they could find zero issues with the returned part. That small valve core causes a lot of problems and it is the easiest to fix. But, many folks just blamed the TPMS and tossed their hands in the air and gave up, such a waste of a great product.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
My TPMS is Tire Tracker. I sent it back for credit. I don't think I will use one again. I had one tire go flat while in storage because of the sensor. I've never had any tire problems in 12 yrs. before I tried a TPMS.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Took me about 3 years to get my pressure pro setup to not leak. Pressure Pro company claimed I was too stupid to install them. Finally cured the issue in two steps,
Step 1-Purchased new seal kit from Pressure Pro $12.00
Step 2-When purchased new Michelin tires (6), all new valve stems, no leaks in past 9 months, almost scary. Always show good pressure now.

Having tires blow out due to the TPMS is related to the chap who can destroy an anvil with a wet feather.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never put them on my coach. Lots of friends had issues with them over time. Some people swear by them though. You can not protect against everything. One day the inside the wheel sensors will become more popular for big rigs. I will not put a hunk of metal and plastic on a valve stem and spin it.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, the couple of guys I know that have TPMS on their trailers had tire blow outs going down the road. Prior to that they never did. They started to question if the TPMS system was the cause of the blow outs.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
teddychamp wrote:
The tire that you cannot inflate, needs the valve stem unscrewed a little bit, maybe half of a turn. The valve stem sits to low in the valve and is not properly activated when the airchuck pushes on the stem,and this is why your pressure sensor reeds low pressure because the stem does not let enough air out for a proper reading.

It reads fine. I have tried that, the valve simply will not let air pass through to fill. I think the same valve is leaking. It's not the TST reporting falsely low PSI, it is low. I think the TST is causing it to leak. It's a bad sensor.
2013 ACE 29.2

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
The tire that you cannot inflate, needs the valve stem unscrewed a little bit, maybe half of a turn. The valve stem sits to low in the valve and is not properly activated when the airchuck pushes on the stem,and this is why your pressure sensor reeds low pressure because the stem does not let enough air out for a proper reading.
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've had Pressure Pro for 10 years with no problems. However, because of the length of the motor home we've added an additional extended aerial which we unroll and lay on the floor when driving. This is also because we have the monitors on our tow vehicle, also, which is a long way back there.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of system? I have a TST and if it rains one of my sensors falls off line. I also have one that I can't add air to and incidentally it's the same tire that is always low. I think the valve is bad in it. That said TST will replace it. I have very good luck with their customer service.
2013 ACE 29.2