cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will this rig get me thru the western mountains

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer
Will I have enough power to travel in the western US?
My wife and I are thinking of buying a 2017 Georgetown, motor home, model 364TS by Forest River. This unit is 36 ft long and the GVWR is 22,00 lbs and the GCWR is 26,000 lbs. It has a Ford V10, 329 hp engine with a six speed transmission. We will be towing a 4,500 lb toad so I think all of our weights are in line with specifications. Has anyone had problems in the mountains with this size motor home, with the Ford V10, 329 hp engine and six speed transmission? What kind of actual mpg can I expect? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Grampy JD
Sincerely,

grampyjd
jstouffer@stouffertech.com
43 REPLIES 43

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
We have 2013 Allegro 36LA. Actual length is 36' 11". We tow about 4400. It is V10, 5 Star Tune, 24K Chassis, 5 speed with Tow/Haul. Does great. Live WA and visit family in LA & IL. Done cascades and Rockies. You can do it. 7-8 MPG. I got 12 MPG once,going down hill. I could have gotten better but did not want to turn off the engine. The really steep grades we have dropped to 50. Tow/Haul mode going down hill is a great down shift at the tap of the brakes.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Mine does, so that one should.
Fuel mileage? damifino, never checked it, don't care! IMO, "fuel economy" and "motorhome" should never be used in the same sentence. Not even in the same paragraph, for that matter!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
you like the price, buy it and enjoy your travels! MPG will be 8-12 MPG.

you aint never going to see a 38ft loaded V10 MH getting no 12MPG never mind 10 unless your on flat ground with a tail wind at 40MPH

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
You should be fine. However take a second look at some of the MPG numbers that were posted. I traveled about 50k in two Ford V-10 powered rigs and logged EVERY tank of gas. 6.5 lifetime. included towing and towing. Worst was in the high 4 range, best ever was about 8, but I question the fill-up being full.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Any MH will make it to any normal US highway, let face it, nobody will make a vehicle not able to make it up a hill.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Going up is easy, going down is easy......it's that darn tip at the top that is troublesome ๐Ÿ™‚

But really, you'll be fine. That is a good size rig for the US and state highways through the rockies.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everybody. Lots of good info. Thank you
Sincerely,

grampyjd
jstouffer@stouffertech.com

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just stay off Sonora Pass on CA-108 26% grade and Ebbetts Pass on CA-4 24% grade.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the coach has a 5000 # hitch you should be fine. A thought, if you a not familiar with mountain driving be aware that going down the mountain safely is much more difficult than going up. Going up you have to gear down to what ever gear you need to stop the transmission from hunting.Going down the hill gear down and slow down before you start down. Never let it get going so fast ,too fast, that you burn up your brakes trying to slow it down. Be very cautious. Practice and experience will make it much easier, but start off very carefully.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, if you stay on the roads

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Have you driven the mountains before? Just let the engine do the work down the grades.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes! If you like the floor plan (#1 reason to buy or not buy ANY RV) and you like the price, buy it and enjoy your travels! MPG will be 8-12 MPG.
You will have to gear down (normal) as go up the hill below the speed limit (normal) but were you really in that big of a hurry? Cars will pass you but you will likely simply fall in line with the truckers or pass a few of them along the way.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the smaller 310 HP engine on my 32 feet long, always pull a Toad and have not been stopped by a mountain yet. You will have no problems, you will not be the first to the top on some but none will stop you. Speed is what will kill you on milage you are driving a brick through the wind. My mileage is usually 8mpg to 8.5 mpg staying under 65 mph. Over 65 mph mileage will drop. Mine has 127,000 plus miles and been in all the western states and over just about all the passes. Go for it.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes it will get you through any of the Western mountains and your mileage in the mountains will probably be 6-8 MPG.