cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WINDSHIELDS ... for older Class As ? ......

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
..... what to do if you have a damaged windshield..... way more than a chip .... and the factory no longer has them AT ALL ?

RV salvage yards ? Maybe.

I’ve got my insurance through Geico.... just checking on my coverage and I asked the agent about this. She was surprised with the question... never had that question come up. Didn’t pursue the question further ... have you ?
13 REPLIES 13

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
fyrflie wrote:
RV Glass Solutions is a sister company of Coach Glass, arguably the largest supplier of OEM specialty vehicle glass in the US.

Just had my windshield replaced by them. 2001 Fleetwood Flair.
They were very easy to deal with and they even found a mobile installer that came to my home.

The windshields on my RV are original and they are marked with the Coach Glass brand, and it's a 1995. My windshield glass was shared on a couple of other mid-late 90s motor homes, too, with a similar cut, corners, and edge rounding.

I've quickly learned things about owning an older RV:

1. Your RV service shop knows nothing about the chassis, save for maybe some stuff about your hydraulic leveling system or the hydraulics that operate some RV's slides, but that really isn't chassis. Just because they don't service the chassis doesn't mean they don't know where you should go in the area for competent chassis service. If they are a good RV shop they will tell you where their expertise ends and where somebody else's begins and tell you who the somebody else you should go to is.

2. Manufacturers don't have replacement parts after an RV gets to be more than about 3 or 4 years old. That isn't a hard and fast number, and your mileage may vary, but house parts are all "off the shelf" for most manufacturers, so the part maker is who you have to go to to get replacements, not the RV manufacturer. Don't bother calling them unless it is warranty service. Even if it is warranty service, you are still going to have to go through an RV dealer or service center to get the work done.

3. Independent RV service shops (you know, the family owned kind) often scavenge parts from their various jobs and the work they do every day. If they are like most I've interacted with, they have spare parts from old appliance replacements, door handles, cabinet hardware and just about any other house knick-nack you can think of from years of servicing stuff and keeping around whatever was good from the job, "just in case". I got a whole Winegard batwing antenna from a local dealer that they had scavenged from an antenna upgrade job on another rig. I just needed the antenna head as the previous owner lost one half of the antenna element and the Winegard antennas are all componentized for easier service. Your big name service centers are not doing this.

Once your RV is past about 5 years old, contacting the manufacturer is probably going to get you poor results if you are looking for parts, however you'll get better results dealing with a local RV service shop and their network to find aftermarket parts.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
It shouldn't be a problem, your insurance company should find a replacement.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my 1998 windshield replaced with new. My coach manufacture is out of business for years. My insurance covered 100%
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV Glass Solutions is a sister company of Coach Glass, arguably the largest supplier of OEM specialty vehicle glass in the US.

Just had my windshield replaced by them. 2001 Fleetwood Flair.
They were very easy to deal with and they even found a mobile installer that came to my home.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have replaced my windshields 4 times over the years. Just called my insurance company and they found a place for me to get it replaced even away from home all with 0 deductible. I think in most states it is illegal to drive with a cracked windshield. Check with your insurance company.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
If you are a Florida resident, your insurance covers windshield replacement with ZERO deductible. I used RVglassSolutions.com to replace mine.

Coach Glass
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Why would you go to an RV dealer for a windshield?
Safelite has most windshields available.
As rgatijnet1 said, they have specific numbers in the windshield. Many are common to more then one RV manufacturer.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
All windshields have numbers on them. Those numbers are used to match your specific application. You are asked whether or not your windshield has tint on the top or is all clear glass. The thing is that very few windshields are specific to one RV. Most are also used on trucks, ect. Windshields can also be cut to fit a specific application since a windshield is NOT tempered glass. In other words the manufacturer may take a stock windshield with the same curve and then cut it to size to make a duplicate as needed for replacement.

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
If you are a Florida resident, your insurance covers windshield replacement with ZERO deductible. I used RVglassSolutions.com to replace mine.

Thx Ron .... why wouldn’t have Airstream have suggested that ? Just curious

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
navigator2346 wrote:
Windshields are available. If you turned in the claim to your insurance company, they will find a replacement

Mine is a 97 Airstream... I called the factory on some other parts and checked availability of the passenger side because there’s a decent size chip NOT in the wiper area. Nothing is available from them.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Windshields are available. If you turned in the claim to your insurance company, they will find a replacement

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Just had my 2004 windshield replaced. No problem getting a new one.

What year is you RV?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes