cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago Motoraid

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
My hot water tank has the Winnebago Motoraid that uses the engine cooling system to heat the hot water tank going down the road. Works great, but I've always drained the HW tank on my prior units between vacations. Is there any issue running the coach with an empty hot water tank?
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed
13 REPLIES 13

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
You'll only be stale if the shower is too short. Funny.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
Take a shower and stale will be gone.

But then I'll be stale! 🙂

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Take a shower and stale will be gone.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. I understand it better now. I should have figured it would be able to run empty as someone said, thats how it rolled out of the factory.

As far as draining every use, just a habit I guess. I was always worried about stale water. I may have to get past it now, as the HW drain is up above my head now and between the motoraid and the use with electric/gas, I don't think there will be a time its not hot! 🙂

I noticed the fridge has a water tank for cooled water, so maybe stale water isn't as big a deal as I make it out to be.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
U have had motor aid for a long time. Always start with empty tank in winter and fill when I get to warmer weather about 800 miles or so. Never a problem. Sure is a nice feature once I get motorhome dewinterized.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
.....To me, the larger question is why do you empty it if you're not winterizing it? ......

From my perspective, I drain my hot water tank after each trip because after leaving it in when I first started RV'ing, I found that it tends to become stinky between trips if I don't go every weekend and keep it flushed....that rotten egg smell. I've cleaned the anode rod, and it probably was the culprit, but opening the drain at the end of a trip isn't very hard and it takes little to no effort to reinstall the plug before heading out. It's on my mental checklist now, so I guess I'll stick with it.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think this system in a gas MH acts like a separate heat exchanger that not only heats your water but provides some additional engine cooling for hill climbing. I would use it especially in the summer out west.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
You never want to turn on the tank empty. You can drive all day with it empty so long as it is not on. There are elements that burn up in them if they are empty.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
'Adam Ant'

Motoraid is just a U shaped tube welded to backside of WH Tank.

MHs leave factory w/o water

1000s of Snowbirds with MHs drive 1000s of miles

NO it will not hurt water heater
You've been doing it for 3 yrs :B

What he said - I have been doing it for 7 years
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Only time I drain ours is when I flush out the lime or other particles accumulating in the tank. Tank is aluminum and has no anode on the drain plug.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have motoraid on my Winnebago and I never drain it! No point in draining it to me!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
'Adam Ant'

Motoraid is just a U shaped tube welded to backside of WH Tank.

MHs leave factory w/o water

1000s of Snowbirds with MHs drive 1000s of miles

NO it will not hurt water heater
You've been doing it for 3 yrs :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you can run down the road with the HW tank empty, just don't forget to fill it before you turn it on.

To me, the larger question is why do you empty it if you're not winterizing it? This last winter, due to winterizing, was the first time our HW tank has been empty since the last time we winterized it three years ago.

Actually the orange Nodwell pictured below in my signature has a 50 gal motoraid HW tank I made myself. Sometimes I run it full of water and other times I don't. Never any damage to it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.