cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter in Colorado

shadow65
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to be spending the winter in an RV park with full hookups in Colorado Springs. I have a 35' DP and have done some short term camping in cold weather but never for a prolonged period of time. I would appreciate any tips or advice on keeping water from freezing, staying warm and comfortable, and having as pleasant a winter as possible. I do know I will need a heated water hose. Thanks
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED
2006 Honda Element Toad
14 REPLIES 14

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many FHU parks do not leave the water on during the winter, but do have water to their showers, laundry and maybe office. They make water available at those main locations for you to be able to get water. Are you sure your FHU park will leave the water on to your site. We are from MI and if the park is even open in the winter, this is how most of them operate.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Skirting can help a bunch, kepp the cold from circulating. An extended stay propane system let you stay put and they deliver to your "100" gallon tank. Or perhaps they do deliver the propane at the place you stay. Use some electric heat but keep the furnace going to keep vital areas from freezing.

LEN

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
How do the awnings over the slides do in the snow and ice?
Mark

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no reason to leave water dripping. Fill the tanks and remove the hose once full (or wrap the hose with heat tape and insulation). Once that's done all of the interior lines and tanks will be kept warm by furnace or electric heat. Leaving anything dripping will simply fill the holding tank and you don't need that. Never leave your grey tank open in freezing weather so you can let the water drip as that water will freeze in the drain hose and then it all backs up into the coach.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep the heat on and be sure to let water drip a little. Make sure all pipes - especially external have insulation.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
I can imagine using LOTS of propane. I would suggest you use the on-board tanks, rather than having hoses that could freeze. Fill the fresh tank and dump the waste tanks when needed.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
You'll probably wish you had the Aqua Hot in that Journey, but your furnace will do fine. Just be prepared to make a few propane runs or get someone to fill you. I'm thinking at least every 5 days, maybe 4. Mine is a 28 gal and with 2 furnaces it can chug it down pretty fast just in the early spring when they only have to run at night.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Busskipper in Golden:

Ivy,

Thanks and that was in October, Link for more pictures of Tiger Run If the Coach is good, and you are good, then it is Great.

Just be smart and remember that 32 degrees is the critical number.

Those were the Days, Hoping to get back for extended, year round, trips Soon.

Thanks, Dick, for the Picture reminder,

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Busskipper in Golden:
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
As you probably know Don, Winnebagos are built to do well in the cold. There built with under storage compartment heat and are very well insulated. We just do a few simple things, we use winter pipe insulation on are outside water intake hose. We use a little portable heater that we move from the living room to the bedroom at night. And we use throw rugs on all tile surfaces. The coldest winter temp that I've been RVing in with my Winnebago is 9* and we had no problems. Good Question and Good Luck

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
shadow65 wrote:
I'm going to be spending the winter in an RV park with full hookups in Colorado Springs. I have a 35' DP and have done some short term camping in cold weather but never for a prolonged period of time. I would appreciate any tips or advice on keeping water from freezing, staying warm and comfortable, and having as pleasant a winter as possible. I do know I will need a heated water hose. Thanks

Having winter three years in Golden here is what I learned.

Remote thermometers are extremely helpful - some even come with an alarm setting - I keep one in the water and Sewer hook -up area. and one in the basement.

Insulated Water line with a heater attached. Always have a 10' one in the Coach.

Close the sewer line and open as needed to use.

I installed a Halogen light in the Sewer bay for really cold days would turn it on the night before a dump.

Bubble reflex it for the front windshield at night - would roll up so the south facing windshield could warm the Coach during the day. This was the single best thing for warmth in the Coach at night.

We found a couple of foam cushions that fit the vents.

With a screw gun I unscrewed the A/C vents and sealed with simi flex foam, stopped some of the just funny cold that would come through the vents.

Electric was free so I used two small heaters to heat the Coach, I had a hydro hot and a separate basement thermostat so never a problem.(With the 75 watt light, and the Hydro Hot unit in the basement, it never got below 42 degrees)

The Bed is over the engine - so the floor will get cold - no real insulation back there.

One winter we had -17 every night for 10 days (COLD) but we survived.

Not sure what else to tell you but if you want to talk send me a PM.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's really not too difficult in a Class A if you also have diesel heat as that warm water is also circulated throughout the wet bays and they will stay toasty warm unless you use too many electric heaters inside the coach preventing them from doing what they are designed to do. If your electric is free and plan to use a number of electric heaters inside the coach then you need to add supplemental electric heat where your plumbing and holding tanks live. For me (a Winter in Detroit) that was 2 separate 100W light bulbs to keep warmth on both sides but there are also some small 200W(ish) electric heaters which could be added. I bought a "weather station" with a remote temp. sensor which I left in the bay to allow easy monitoring.
If you have propane heat it also heats the bays but tends to burn a lot of fuel to keep everything warm so using electric supplements inside and outside becomes more important for cost savings. If you have to pay for electric at the campground then you will need to find the right balance between where you want to spend the money but you are going to have to pay.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Do not fall prey to the concept of leaving a water tap run/drip all the time because you will end up with a frozen sewer pipe/hose.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surviving Montana -2010
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman