cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiper covers and bump out corner protectors

Aughra
Explorer
Explorer
What do you guys use to protect your wipers from the windshield during the summer? I'm thinking about it now before it gets real hot.

Also, I know I've seen conversations about the foam pads for the slide out corners...any advice on those. I already whacked my temple once on the new rv 😛

Thanks guys!
15 REPLIES 15

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
I use the noodles on my bedroom slide, I use two so they run the bottom of the slide and "V" cut them so they fold up the side at the corners. my propane tanks are below the slide and the outer bottom edge of the slide is where I have hit my head when changing LP tanks.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
tomousecap wrote:
USARMYCW wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I use lengths of foam pipe insulation to protect the wipers. I've also seen the same material used to cushion slide corners.

X2 🙂

X3 and the tennis balls are not the answer because they don't stop the UV rays from hardening the wipers which is the real problem. If they remain soft they will work OK. 🙂

I got six stitches last time I bumped my head on the slide.. Ouch!!

I use the foam pipe for the slide also.

I use both foam and tennis balls. Foam for UV and balls to keep the wipers from taking a set.
My blades are almost ten years old and still work fine.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cbones wrote:
As far as the wiper covers, in the time it takes to put covers on them, I just take the wiper blades off and store them in the coach. It literally takes a second to slip them off. The slide outs are easily protected with the pool noodles as others have already mentioned.

My wiper arms are held on with a screw and nut, and while I could pull the blades alone out from the ground, reinstalling them would require pulling out the step ladder. The foam pipe insulation just slips on and off from the ground in a few seconds.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the wiper covers, in the time it takes to put covers on them, I just take the wiper blades off and store them in the coach. It literally takes a second to slip them off. The slide outs are easily protected with the pool noodles as others have already mentioned.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I use lengths of foam pipe insulation to protect the wipers. I've also seen the same material used to cushion slide corners.

Exactly what I do also. :C

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I use the split seam pipe insulation on the wipers which last 4 years before I had to buy new wipers compared to every 6 months and tennis balls under the arm to keep the wiper blade from bending. I bought the slide-out cushion corners from camping world and they already saved my head a few times. They look and work great!
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Aughra
Explorer
Explorer
Great ideas...and bumping my head on the slideout is not fun 😞

tomousecap
Explorer
Explorer
USARMYCW wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

X2 🙂

X3 and the tennis balls are not the answer because they don't stop the UV rays from hardening the wipers which is the real problem. If they remain soft they will work OK. 🙂

I got six stitches last time I bumped my head on the slide.. Ouch!!

I use the foam pipe for the slide also.
Bob
2007 Fleetwood Bounder - Full Paint 35E
Workhorse 6 Speed 496 Cubic Inch V8 - W22
Ford fans - RPM is a poor substitute for Cubic Inches!
2013 Chev Volt - Towing on a Master Tow Dolly
Gracie = Adopted longhair Amazon Chihuahua

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got the foam noodles...but have never put them on.
Ever turned around and bang into the slide out? That's just so much fun.

USARMYCW
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

X2 🙂

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
For slide out corners go to a local auto body shop and ask the owner or manager to save you the foam corners that come on corners of replacement hoods. They will slip right on most slide corners.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
I use the swimming pool noodles and cut them down the middle to size for the wipers and the corners. Gotta love the 99cent store for things like this.

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
I use the swimming pool noodles and cut them down the middle to size for the wipers and the corners. Gotta love the 99cent store for things like this.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I put a tennis ball under each wiper arm.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter