cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wipers have a mind of their own

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
So a few things happened on our trip last week to Fl. Got my first stone chip which manifested itself into a crack about a foot long (working with the insurance guys to replace it), I noticed that of all the interstates on the East coast, VA is by far the worst, and my wipers decided to make up their own mind when and if they would work. This problem I may need a little advice on. I noticed it when I wanted to wash my windshield (pre-crack) and the fluid squirted out but the wipers never came on. A few miles down the road and they decided to work. I am thinking there is a loose wire or something. Thoughts?

Other than that , the trip was awesome. 70-80 temps in Fla and missed the snow and cold that happened here back home. Perfect timing. 🙂
2013 ACE 29.2
6 REPLIES 6

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh yes, if you find water, clean it - http://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-on-TV-Flex-Seal/20850472

I've sealed connectors with that spray. 🙂
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
wilanddij wrote:
Have you been driving in the rain before this happened? If you have, check under the hood, dry out and waterproof (or move up out of the road spray) any connectors you find in the wiper circuit. On mine, water in the connector(s) has caused the wipers to have a mind of their own.

This. If you have water on the connector that is your problem. You'll need to clean off and seal it somehow (physical or spray).
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

lonfu
Explorer
Explorer
usually it is the switches inside wiper motor. Get the number from it and order from amazon or ebay.
May your black water hose never break! Life Charter member since 89

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on water in the connector.
Dry it out, apply dielecric grease and position the connector in a drier position.

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
Have you been driving in the rain before this happened? If you have, check under the hood, dry out and waterproof (or move up out of the road spray) any connectors you find in the wiper circuit. On mine, water in the connector(s) has caused the wipers to have a mind of their own.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure on your motorhome, but on my truck, it was the multi-function switch. The switch controls the wipers and turn signals. I removed the switch and cleaned it with electrical cleaner, put some dielectric grease on it and it worked again. My turn signals also indicated the wrong way or not at all.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS