cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wobbly Front seat?

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
The passenger seat in our 12 year old Class A has become noticeably Wobbly! It hasn't been used much as my wife rides in a seat belted recliner. The seat rotates, reclines and move fore and aft fine but rocks side to side. I think it is a flex -steel model that sits on a round column. The pedestal isn't moving. Its the plate that rotates on top of the pedestal that moves. I don't see any obvious bolts loose or adjustments. How do I tighten it up?
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty
10 REPLIES 10

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
subtroll wrote:
Good Point. My seat has a castillated nut but no cotter pin. Thanks.

With the presence of a castle nut there is a real good possibility the shaft is drilled for a cotter key. If not.
try to get some lock tite in there or change the nut to a self
locking nut.
jwmII

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Good Point. My seat has a castillated nut but no cotter pin. Thanks.
2003 Jeep Liberty

FeeLine
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen any mention of a cotter pin. My front seats have a cotter pin that keeps the nut from turning once you tighten it down. You might want to check and see if one is used on your seat.
Paul & Ellen with Daphne & Digby 2006 HR Ambassador 40 PLQ, 2004 Jeep Liberty. F.M.C.A. F241322
Good Sam

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for reporting back on your fix. Helps us all.

Have a great trip.....Stay safe and warm.

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Found the nut...finger tight. Corrected. Thanks for the help! Time to head south, Its too cold in Virginia.
2003 Jeep Liberty

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
you may have a 15/16 nut in the center. If you remove that, there is a convex washer and that should be mounted with the raised portion UP- then reinstall nut and tighten till you feel a little resistance when you rotate the chair
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
If you need a bearink kit this place has them for 12.00http://www.coachsupplydirect.com/rv-products/rv-seating-parts/flexsteel-rv-seat-bearing-kit/ also on Amazon
2009 Challenger

chucl66
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem. It turned out to be the race bearing, be tween the seat and pedestal/
Tighten the bolt first, if not that check the bearing.

Chuck
Chuck & Laraine

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Many "swivel-able" seats have a nut in the center (under the seat) that sets the clearance for the bearing plate. So, may be able to tighten just a little to remove play.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
can't you add washers to tighten it up?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited