Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your opinion about renting a 2005 Winnebago chalet

Barbette
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I am about to start a 6 months trip with my family (children aged from 6 months old to 11 years). I found a Winnebago chalet from 2005 to rent and would like to have your opinion about it: It is the first time we will be traveling with an RV and we don't know anything about mechanics. Is it risky to rent a 2005 RV and should we rather look for a more recent vehicle?
The name of the company that rents it is "transatlantic auto and rv center". Does anyone know this company and can we trust them?

Thank you

Barbette
11 REPLIES 11

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard great things about Cruise America, but I've not worked with them firsthand.

Barbette
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your answers. I will I think check with a better known company in order to be sure I have all the backup and newer RV.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no issues with a Winnebago Chalet (think they are pretty well made for a mass-production RV) and the model year (mine is 2004).

I don't know the rental company, but most of the major suppliers work with RVs up to about 5-6 years old. They vary on how they handle breakdowns, with respect to how repairs are taken care of, but most will not indemnify you for lost vacation experience and costs beyond vehicle repair.

Don't even know whether this is a company that owns a fleet of RVs, services, manages and maintains them, or if it is a broker for privately owned rentals. I would rather trust El Monte or CruiseAmerica because they are high-volume operators with their own fleets.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 as my own but if I was renting something I wouldn't go that old. I know I take care of mine and do all necessary service. You have no way of knowing what was done or not done over the 8-9 years it existed and no way of knowing it's weaknesses.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
rav wrote:
I didn't see that statement but read this:
Maintenance while on the road

Customers are responsible to check all fluid levels at each refueling. Refills of all fluids will be reimbursed except for gasoline and propane. Customer must present receipts for reimbursement. Vehicle must be returned clean inside. A cleaning charge will occur if vehicle is returned in unsatisfactory condition. Holding tanks should be emptied if possible or a fee will be assessed. Customer must check tire pressure and condition of tires at each refueling.
Customer will be reimbursed for authorized repair, oil changes, etc. upon presentation of receipt to Transatlantic.

Mechanical Breakdown
For repair exceeding $50.- the customer must call TransAtlantic 24-hour toll free telephone for authorization. In the event the vehicle is in breakdown repair for 12 hours or more, through no fault of the customer, our responsibility to the customer is limited to a refund of daily rate or a portion thereof. Radio, automatic steps, air conditioning, refrigerator, microwave, appliances, cruise control, slide-out and generator malfunctions are not considered a breakdown.
Necessary repairs are refunded. In the event of a breakdown renter must call the Transatlantic Roadside Assistance number located in the rental contract or glove compartment and report the problem. Customer must provide signed and dated receipts for reimbursement. Will be refunded at time of drop-off.
are we looking at the same website?

This is all pretty standard verbiage used by every rental company.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would also Suggest you at least look at these, depending on where you will be entering the country and where you are going. These all have fairly new and a well maintained fleet.

CruiseAmerica Click Here they have 123 locations around the country.

El Monte RV Click Here
they have about 50 locations across the country.

Camping World RV Rental Click Here They have about 15 locations around the country.

I would check out each Website and compare the coverage, prices and what will happen incase of a break down or trip interruption.

Each has a page that explains what is covered, travel restrictions, on where you can and cannot go, and other frequently asked questions.

Good Luck and have a good time exploring our country. Let us know what you decide and if there are anymore questions, just ask. There are a lot of people here that are willing to help out.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 as my own but if I was renting something I wouldn't go that old. I know I take care of mine and do all necessary service. You have no way of knowing what was done or not done over the 8-9 years it existed and no way of knowing it's weaknesses.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's nothing about a 2005 unit that makes it bad in its own right, provided it's had care an maintenance. Also, Winnebago is a very good brand.

Where will you be traveling?

I think you can find a rental that gives you a little more confidence. I don't like the way they decline responsibility for appliances like the fridge. Fridge won't strand you on the side of the road but you want to be able to keep your food fresh.

Suggest you at least look at

CruiseAmerica

El Monte

Camping World RV Rental

What's drawing you to Transatlantic?

A gOOgle search "rv rental" returned some hits I didn't check where it seemed you could rent privately owned RVs through an agency of some sort. We had a moderator here who did that. His point was "Why leave an expensive item idle between vacations when I can get some of my expenses back?" Most of us here wouldn't do that, but it might be something to look at.

Still, it seems you've uncovered a major concern: If it breaks down, What will they Do and How Soon?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
No experience with rentals, but I just looked at Transatlantic has no liability for damages or breakdowns.]Transatlantic's Website and this disclaimer really jumped off the page at me:

Transatlantic has no liability for damages or breakdowns.

Especially on a seven-year-old rig, I'd be nervous about that clause.

Yep, I would be a little worried about that and what it really means. Does it just mean that if you breakdown and have a delay in your trip they won't reimburse you for lost time? Or, I would expect that if you back into a tree and cause damage, it would not be on the rental company's dime.

But, if it means that you'd be financially responsible for a new transmission, for example, well..................

Personally, if I was renting I would want something much newer than a 2005 anyway....

rav
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see that statement but read this:
Maintenance while on the road

Customers are responsible to check all fluid levels at each refueling. Refills of all fluids will be reimbursed except for gasoline and propane. Customer must present receipts for reimbursement. Vehicle must be returned clean inside. A cleaning charge will occur if vehicle is returned in unsatisfactory condition. Holding tanks should be emptied if possible or a fee will be assessed. Customer must check tire pressure and condition of tires at each refueling.
Customer will be reimbursed for authorized repair, oil changes, etc. upon presentation of receipt to Transatlantic.

Mechanical Breakdown
For repair exceeding $50.- the customer must call TransAtlantic 24-hour toll free telephone for authorization. In the event the vehicle is in breakdown repair for 12 hours or more, through no fault of the customer, our responsibility to the customer is limited to a refund of daily rate or a portion thereof. Radio, automatic steps, air conditioning, refrigerator, microwave, appliances, cruise control, slide-out and generator malfunctions are not considered a breakdown.
Necessary repairs are refunded. In the event of a breakdown renter must call the Transatlantic Roadside Assistance number located in the rental contract or glove compartment and report the problem. Customer must provide signed and dated receipts for reimbursement. Will be refunded at time of drop-off.
are we looking at the same website?

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
No experience with rentals, but I just looked at Transatlantic's website and this disclaimer really jumped off the page at me:

Transatlantic has no liability for damages or breakdowns.

Especially on a seven-year-old rig, I'd be nervous about that clause.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien