cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your Opinion -- Washer/Dryer?

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Soliciting opinions about whether or not it's worth having a combo clothes washer/dryer in an RV.

Or is it more valuable to you to have that little bit more storage space?
63 REPLIES 63

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's a combo unit, make sure it's vented to the outside.

We discovered that the seedy underside of campground living was the laundry. It seems to me that the seasonals consider it to be theirs and the transients are merely allowed to use the facilities at the discretion of the seasonals. If you're not there EXACTLY when the washer or dryer stops, your stuff gets dumped (sometimes on the floor) and they commandeer the machine.

It's worth getting a washer dryer just so you have to deal with that drama. The Splendide was the second most useful appliance on our six month winter trip.

The counter top ice maker was #1.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The Splendide combo unit does a good job IF you read the directions and learn a new way to do laundry. However, it does very small loads. I felt like all I ever did was wash clothes because of the very small load size. I much prefer to wash normal loads at a laundromat...use two or three washers and dryers at a time an have it all done in an hour or two.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
We talk numerous 10 day trips, and it is great to come home with laundry all done. And this does not take time away from our RVing on the road.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
FIrst do you have a gasser or a Diesel? In a gasser the Cargo Carrying Capacity is often less than 1,000 pounds. and adding a couple hundred pounds of washer/Dryer cuts into that BIG TIME.

When We got our MH. Wife and I considered the cost of a Washer/Dryer v/s Park Laundry.. Based on the anticipated life of a Splende W/D we felt it was right close to break even.. Just had to help another RVer diagnose his W/D (Bad drain pump) So I think we got it close.. Plus the park machines are much larger than the RV machines. Bedding for example would be two loads. v/s one and I toss in some towels to equalize the 3 machines I use once a month.

That said. I am considering a portable.. Sometimes I just need to wash a few things.. Currently when that happens I hand wash but it would be so much easier with a portable machine.> But NO ROOM AT THE INN (portables are even smaller but are also lighter).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It really all boils down to your style of camping and how you use your RV if a washer and dryer are important enough to have. If you are a week-end warrior and a 2 week a year vacationer then it doesn't make a lot of sense to have them. On the other hand, if you are a full timer, anchored in one spot for lengths of time at a time, and you have a sufficient power, water, and sewer connection, then it makes better sense to have one.

FYI, in my opinion, any laundry mat just sucks! But we are not full timers on the road, have access to our washer-dryer at home, so for us, it makes no sense to have one in the camper.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac214 wrote:
Soliciting opinions about whether or not it's worth having a combo clothes washer/dryer in an RV.

Or is it more valuable to you to have that little bit more storage space?
we looked hard and fast at this when we were shopping for a new MH in 2015. we ultimately decided against it because:

- very low capacity compared to commercial/campground laundry. that meant doing either some laundry every 1-2 days or spending a whole day doing laundry. it now takes abt 2-hrs to do laundry every 8 to 10-days

- the cost as compared to a commercial/campground laundry. we spend anywhere from $9-$10 per occurrence to do laundry roughly every 8 to 10-days. on our last trip we did laundry 10-times or $100. on shorter trips (usually 7-10 days) we just do laundry when we get home. we did the math. at $1000+ for the W/D option we could do laundry for at least 5-yrs and likely much longer before breaking even.

- we needed the extra storage space a lot more than the W/D.

we did decide that IF we did go for the onboard washer/dryer option we would get the twin units and not the combo. capacity is further reduced and drying times extended with the combo. whichever you choose be sure the dryer is vented to the outside.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
In every one of these threads Iโ€™ve read Folks either hate it and want more storage 50% or wouldnโ€™t be without it 50%. Those who hate it seem to love the storage gained and/ or find it difficult to change washing โ€œstyleโ€ to get good results and laundromats donโ€™t bother them.
As full timers We are ones who donโ€™t miss the storage โ€œlostโ€ , adapted to the smaller load every day toss run and kinda forget . we go about our day or evening while the machine does itโ€™s thing. The other thing is we/I dislike laundromats. Havenโ€™t used them since college unless I needed something large done.
We have a combo and the only improvement would be a stacked W/D
Bill

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
We are by no means full timers but I wouldn't be without the washer dryer. I did end up removing the all in one unit from my previous coach as we just hated the wrinkled results. The separate units are just a smaller version of what most of us have in the home. On our longer trips we almost always scheduled a day to either use the CG washers or go to a laundromat. I don't miss that. We also used to insist on way to many clothes, towels, etc. as we were sometimes packing for a couple weeks. Now I travel very light as we usually throw a load in maybe every other day or so.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Must have.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
DW really likes the stacked Whirlpool washer and dryer we have. I know people say they like the space of not having them but our RV is no where near full, so no problem.
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We go to commercial places, fire up 5 washers, dryers, fold, done. CGs are fine if they have adequate machines and are not overly expensive.

MH has a WD which is good for very small loads and it's a supplement that's useful. Without it it would be filled with something, maybe even a lot of extra clothes.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, we do weeks at a time and wife would not go with out it.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
DW would get rid of me before giving up her Splendide combo.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, yes, yes. So many campground laundry rooms are very small and usually not terribly well maintained. Trying to get laundry done at a busy campground can be an all day adventure. The disadvantage is that you have to do multiple small loads instead of 1 or 2 large loads simply separated by color or type.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
IF.....you can't BEAR to be without all the comforts of home while on short trips.....maybe you should STAY at home. Honestly.

A lot of long trips and full timers is a different story.

Any extra weight you carry increases the load on your tires and suspension and costs you in fuel.

Only YOU know if it is worth it.....for YOU.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"