Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

zoned air conditioning...

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
...on new-to-us 1998 Monaco Windsor.

(is search function working?)

How does this work? I have learned how to change from zone 1, zone2, or both through the thermostat settings. At all settings, it seems like the fans of both units are running, and cold air comes from all ducts.

1. It it likely wired that both fans run when only one compressor zone is active?
2. Is the duct work shared so air is distributed throughout the coach?
3. If I want only one unit to run (say on a 15 amp in my yard - I know more is better), can I switch off the breaker for the unit I don't want?

Help me out.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor
8 REPLIES 8

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
I do know how to switch zones - I follow the instruction manual. ; )

This morning I removed the thermostat from the wall and removed the board from the housing. The switches are in a neat little line and they are assembled with little clips on the sides. I gently opened the clips and removed the moving button for each switch and cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner. The contacts looked nice and even - none appeared bent or broken. I reassembled and things seem to work properly (at least for now). I press the top two buttons and in a second or so, the zone changes.

Warning! The parts are small, the spring is springy, and the contacts will shoot out of the switch when you shoot cleaner into the switch. If you are not steady, or have big fingers, or have poor eyesight, you might just lose important parts. (disclosure: I am marginal in these respects, but very adventurous! I also found the tiny spring and contact on the garage floor.)

The sure thing would be to get with one of the ebay thermostat rebuilders or just go to the five-button system. If you are of the type that thinks "Well you can't make it more broken," dig in.

Wish me luck!
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
oldmattb wrote:
lanerd wrote:
Turn to Zone 1 and set for "cool" and set temp to a low enough temperature so that the AC will come on. Switch to zone 2 and set to "off". Front AC will run and rear AC will not.

I did as you said and it did as you said. I think my thermostat might be funky. I had to hit the mode button about a dozen times to change from AC to off.

Matt B

1. Do you KNOW how to switch Zones on your OLD CCC 4 button tstat?
2. The fact that you had to push the button numerous times show that your tstat is worn out.
3. You can either do a google search for someone to repair your tstat or you will have to upgrade to a 5 or 12 button system that will require BOTH AC control boards be replaced along with the tstat. Your 4 button is obsolete and has not been available for over 10 years. The only recourse you have is to send off for rebuild. I think Dinosaur Boards will rebuild yours. Doug

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Turn to Zone 1 and set for "cool" and set temp to a low enough temperature so that the AC will come on. Switch to zone 2 and set to "off". Front AC will run and rear AC will not.

I did as you said and it did as you said. I think my thermostat might be funky. I had to hit the mode button about a dozen times to change from AC to off.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
Cogitating during my afternoon nap...

If the fan control was set to, say, "high" instead of "auto," would both fans run?

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

RedG
Explorer
Explorer
If both fans run just on zone 1 or just zone 2, some previous owner did some pretty innovative wiring to your coach. Zone 1 runs the front unit and Zone 2 runs the rear. Neither has anything to do with the other.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

System is ducted Duotherm.

I will check again, but I think both fans run when set to zone 1 OR zone 2.

I have a 20 amp extension cord converted to 15 amp style plug and a 20 amp breaker in the house box. Plans later for a 30 or 50 amp connection.
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
If duct, then they both use the same duct

If set to Zone 1 then only the front AC works. If both are set then both work. No need to turn off a breaker. If you run on 15 amps at home you might be pushing it. Make sure you up size your cord.

What brand unit do you have

here is a link to a manual if you the Penquin model

http://www.dometic.com/b3056cd0-1a5b-4a15-8c1f-1d322d4ac84d.fodoc