cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? Cooking While Traveling?

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
I almost feel like an ignoramus asking, but I've been wondering for years: In any of the motorhome types does anyone do any cooking while rolling down the road? I don't mean making a multi-course meal in open pots & pans. I'm thinking something like a slow cooker, crock pot or (what's that thing called "Quick Pot" or something like that). I don't think I or DW would ever do it when rolling but I've always wondered.
26 REPLIES 26

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The pursuit of happiness doctrine of the founding fathers insists that you can do anything you like as long as you don't infringe on anyone elses rights. Have fun
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
We use a crock pot, the microwave, and the oven while in motion. Heck the wife will even get me a cold soda out of the refrigerator while we are going down the road. One of the pluses of a MH. With the previous FW and TC's we always used the crock pot. Got an air fryer for Christmas and once the DW gets the hang of cooking with it I am sure we will use it while we travel as well.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
"..In a class A or C or B, seems why notWRITE with a slow cooker..."

Sorry for stupid But can you please translate 'write' into cooking function

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
You have cold beer in the refrigerator. Why not a hot meal in the crock pot :@

Goodness, some wag might point out that if you have cold beer, what else could you possibly want?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You have cold beer in the refrigerator. Why not a hot meal in the crock pot :@

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I've done coffee, slow cooker, and roasted electrically as I trundle down the road.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
When I was young, in the wild late-70s and '80s, my mom would make lunch and cook while traveling down I-95 on our annual trek from NJ to Florida. Heck my dad and uncle would switch driving while we were moving - set the cruise and change seats. Don't try this at home, kids.

Fast forward to 2019 where everyone has an opinion and everyone else is offended by it, yeah I'd keep a crock pot going on a long trip as long as it was secured to keep food from spilling everywhere. As far as flying around in an accident - it would just be one of dozens of things flying at me. I'd like to think "Man Killed by Flying Crock Pot" would amuse a lot of people and I'd rest happily.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Helimech wrote:
We've cooked in the crock pot in the past. Set the Crock in the sink and it stays. Nice to have a hot meal ready when we arrive.

x2 for this ... often my first or last day of an expedition I'll set up the crock. I run mine off my whole-house inverter, it's only a few 100 watts so no big deal power wise. Great to have a meal mostly done when I stop driving for the day.

I have a travel trailer, so I'm not smelling food the entire time I'm driving. Might be a challenge for folks with motorhomes, the sirens call of dinner.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
We plan our meals for ease of prep or reheat when we arrive at our destination. I don't think we've ever thought a crock pot or other warmer made sense since our tastes for a travel day's meal can be met pretty easily.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

Helimech
Explorer
Explorer
We've cooked in the crock pot in the past. Set the Crock in the sink and it stays. Nice to have a hot meal ready when we arrive.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
dcmac214 wrote:
I almost feel like an ignoramus asking, but I've been wondering for years: In any of the motorhome types does anyone do any cooking while rolling down the road? I don't mean making a multi-course meal in open pots & pans. I'm thinking something like a slow cooker, crock pot or (what's that thing called "Quick Pot" or something like that). I don't think I or DW would ever do it when rolling but I've always wondered.

Some talk about doing it. Personally I don't think it's a good idea, especially if another vehicle runs into you and everything goes flying so we've never done that. Most mh have a microwave so when we stop, we can always nuke our make ahead OTR meals. Much safer than hot liquid flying from a crock pot during a sudden stop.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
In a class A or C or B, seems why not write with a slow cooker. You could set it in the sink or a metal tub on the floor so it wouldn't risk tipping or spilling over everything.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)