cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did We Run Out Of Cows??

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
We were shocked yesterday when we went replenish the milk supply. Gallons over $5 and a quart of creme $7+?????
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde
61 REPLIES 61

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012 drought in the Midwest caused a lot of cattle to be sold off for slaughter because we couldn't afford to feed them hay all summer and winter(we sold 2/3 of our herd off). Then the super cold last winter and blizzard conditions in Nebraska, South Dakota and North Dakota caused massive die offs last fall and winter. Fewer cows means higher prices for beef products.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
was just at the store a gal of borden was 6.99

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I'm aware of the market pressures, but this was somewhat sudden. I'm wondering if the drought in California is driving a lot of it?
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
I quit drinking milk years ago when I moved up North to Wisconsin and got to REALLY see all what they do to, and all what they give dairy cows. I.E. growth hormones, antibiotics and not adhering to the withdrawal dates before milking and the lack of actual testing before it goes into the gallon of milk we purchase. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Even at high milk prices that's a low co-pay for the antibiotics!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I quit drinking milk years ago when I moved up North to Wisconsin and got to REALLY see all what they do to, and all what they give dairy cows. I.E. growth hormones, antibiotics and not adhering to the withdrawal dates before milking and the lack of actual testing before it goes into the gallon of milk we purchase. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
Cows eat corn. Corn is being redirected to make fuel. Companies who use this food for fuel are subsidized AND get tax breaks.

There is more net profit in using food for fuel than for food.

If you think those prices are bad, hold onto your butt about Nov-Dec as the weather turns very cold.

Hmmmmmm? I fed my cows hay.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
$3.49/gal in So Cal two days ago. We pay less when we are in BHC, AZ. The only time we have seen milk go for $5/gal was in Lake Tahoe, NV a few weeks ago.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
fuel cost drives the price of everything. watched oil drop $2.bucks a barrel on thurs so gas goes up .30 cents at the pump. figure that out? there not going to loose. oil is in control of every price out there.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Higher fuel costs, and in the case of California, the drought is making produce prices rise.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I don't drink as much milk as I used to but will clinch when I go to buy my ice cream.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
SWMO wrote:
We were shocked yesterday when we went replenish the milk supply. Gallons over $5 and a quart of creme $7+?????

Blame China

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/09/investing/milk-money/

;).

Some states have also lessened or removed their milk subsidies. Most subsidies were put in place back in the ...'30's(?) to ensure the physicaland economic health of the nations' children and of dairy farmers.

On the bright side I can currently buy a whole filet mignon for $7.99/lb. Yeehaw! Good eats for Labor Day:).

http://www.stewleonards.com/weekly-specials/yonkers-specials

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
raindove wrote:
Price of beef is right up there, too. Of course, nothing is getting any cheaper.

The value of my labor is, apparently.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Food prices went up 2% overall last year
Expected to go up 4% overall this year

Meat has gone up 10%
Dairy has gone up same

FOOD prices will continue to increase
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Price of beef is right up there, too. Of course, nothing is getting any cheaper.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Cows eat corn. Corn is being redirected to make fuel. Companies who use this food for fuel are subsidized AND get tax breaks.

There is more net profit in using food for fuel than for food.

If you think those prices are bad, hold onto your butt about Nov-Dec as the weather turns very cold.