cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gluten Free recipes

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
I've been advised to go gluten free...and mostly we are. Does anyone have a good gluten free bread or dumpling recipe? We'd like to start making our own bread. It's hard to give up sandwiches.:)

cts
8 REPLIES 8

dgminer
Explorer
Explorer
I've been gluten free for 40 years, its much easier now than 40 years ago. There are a ton of gluten free products at most store, I've never been a huge bread person but a good hamburger bun is nice I do Schar buns and they make a nice Baguette. As for baking I use America's Test Kitchen Gluten Free cook book

warrantyblues
Explorer
Explorer
WE live a Paleo lifestyle which is basically gluten free. When we get a craving for bread I use this recipe. It makes 2 3"x7" loaves.

Basic Bread Recipe

3 1/2 cups almond flour
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon honey
3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
2. Combine all dry ingredients
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the honey and vinegar
4. Pour the batter into well greased loaf pans
5, Bake for 45 minutes or so, or until bread is golden brown and a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted

If you search on line for Paleo recipes you will find an amazing amount of gluten free options. Check out the Paleo lifestyle also. After going on it I lost 35 pound in 3 months and got off blood pressure medicine. It's a life changer.

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
I imagine you want someone to share a recipe they have actually used and enjoyed. If you don't get any replies from actual gluten-free-diet participants, I'd suggest googling for a forum comprised of such people. They'll have tons of tips.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that. I was looking for "tried that" recipes that worked for people. Trying to do more DIY instead of buying premade. We've tried Udi's/Rudi's... not bad but pricey! I can buy a large bag of all purpose GF flour for the price of one loaf of GF bread.

thanks
cts

wca01
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the King Arthur flour website for flour and recipes.

Good Luck!
Wil

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I imagine you want someone to share a recipe they have actually used and enjoyed. If you don't get any replies from actual gluten-free-diet participants, I'd suggest googling for a forum comprised of such people. They'll have tons of tips.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
I don't personally need to be gluten free, but a good friend is. She just recently posted this recipe and says it is quite good.

http://alittleinsanity.com/soft-gluten-free-sandwich-bread-recipe/

Changes She said she made -- "half milk and half water, 1 tablespoon of sugar instead of all that honey, The Compliments flour blend, half as much baking powder, butter instead of oil. Next time I will add a bit more salt and will use an instant read thermometer to be sure it is cooked more. But this is a darn good version of bread compared to what I buy."

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Udi brand has some great Gluten free products. I just recently had to go Gluten Free. Some restaurants have Gluten free products listed on their website. You will be surprised how many items have Gluten in it. Many Teriyaki places have Gluten. Almost anything deep fried. Do not trust Potlucks. Eat before you go. People will say they used no bread. They may admit to using bread crumbs if you very specifically ask the correct magic question. The teenager behind the counter is the worst person to ask for Gluten ingredients.

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am Gluten free, and my wife buys a lot of different gluten free breads in the grocery store. They are in the freezer section. Udi's and Rudis are two of the brands. They have plain bread, multigrain, rye bread and cinnamon raisin.
If you want to make your own bread you can get a book by Bette Hagman, "The gluten-free Gourmet". There are over 50 recipes for bread in the book. It also tells how to blend your flours for baking gluten free flours. She also has several other books out too. Most book stores can order them for you.:)
Dr Quick