cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a problem with hard boiled eggs........

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
.......not cooking or eating them, but PEELING them. The shell comes off with pieces of egg attached. I used to be able to peel them easily, but I guess I forgot.

I used to take them out of the pan when done; crack the shells all over and add cold water and leave them alone for awhile. Worked fine...I thought. No more. What method do you use to get an easy peeled HBE?

Does the age of the egg have anything to do with it? There is a thin membrane between the shell and egg. Is this the culprit ?

Thanks
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L
48 REPLIES 48

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
Wife fills a glass half full water puts egg in puts her hand over the glass and shakes it shell comes right off

103holland
Explorer
Explorer
I heard adding a slice of lemon to the pot would make them easy to peel.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, me thinks I need some eggs for breakfast now.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
A Costco in CO sold hard boiled and perfectly peeled eggs.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Trostel wrote:
As Wishbone51 said, the answer to easy to peel eggs is steaming. I will never again boil an egg. Makes no difference if the eggs are old or new. Works every time.

Yes.. Done this several times since I posted that.. So much easier cooking and peeling.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
I bring the water to a boil, lower the eggs into the boiling water, boil 10 minutes, remove from heat and let set 5 minutes, pour out hot water and fill pan with cold water, wait a couple minutes, remove and crack the egg while still slightly warm and massage it to fracture the shell all around (rolling on the counter would work also), and peel. Almost always comes off very easily. And it does not seem to matter whether they are fresh eggs or older ones.

My technique is similar and I got this method off youtube several years ago. Works EVERY TIME no matter if eggs are fresher or older:

EGGS THAT PEEL GREAT FROM YOUTUBE:

BRING WATER TO A BOIL.
TAKE EGGS DIRECTLY FROM THE FRIDGE AND PLACE IN BOILING WATER WITH A LADLE.
BOIL FOR 13 MINUTES EXACTLY.
TAKE OFF HEAT, DRAIN HOT WATER AND RUN COLD WATER OVER EGGS FOR ABOUT A MINUTE. FILL PAN UP WITH COLD WATER AND ADD ICE TO MAKE AN ICE BATH.
LEAVE IN ICE BATH FOR 15 MINUTES, TAKE OUT AND PEEL IMMEDIATELY.

The shells usually come off in one or two pieces.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
Eggs in cold water, bring to boil, cover for 9 minutes, put eggs into ice bath for a couple minutes then peel
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
The hard boiled eggs I fix in this peel easily.

http://www.hsn.com/products/dash-egg-cooker/7264567

See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

lovemountains
Explorer
Explorer
Eggs peel more easily if they are not fresh. Sometimes I refrigerate my cooled cooked eggs, and then peel them the next day. I've found that if I run warm water over an egg (or put it in warm water briefly) just before peeling, the shell comes off much easier.

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
double post

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
As Wishbone51 said, the answer to easy to peel eggs is steaming. I will never again boil an egg. Makes no difference if the eggs are old or new. Works every time.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Use this method"!!! Love the video. Gotta try this. Just too funny and useful.
thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
The folks are right. When we were overseas with the Army, if I bought local fresh eggs, forget about peeling them, but if I got eggs that had come from the US and were older, the peels just fell off.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
SWMO wrote:
I add the eggs to boiling water and boil for 12 minutes.

Betting you store your eggs on the kitchen counter:). For those who keep eggs in the fridge placing cold eggs in boiling water generally causes the shells to crack.

I place cold eggs in a pot of cold water w/ 1" of water covering them.. basically one thumb joint of water to cover. When large bubbles start to form in the water, take the pot off the heat and let them sit covered for 10 minutes. Pour off hot water and replace with cold a few times to stop them from cooking. And ice bath is an excellent idea for cooling if you have an automatic ice maker.

As discussed by other posters I agree that old eggs are easiest to peel. Using fresh eggs? Just store them for a week or 2 in advance and they should peel just fine.