cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnight Bacon Casserole

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
I have not made this...but it sounds good.

1 lb. thick cut bacon, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
8 slices of whole wheat bread, crusts removed, cut into cubes
6 eggs
1-1/2 cups of milk
1 cup (4 oz.) cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp dry mustard

Fry bacon until crisp.

In a large bowl...beat eggs, stir in milk, cheese and mustard. Gently stir bacon and bread into mixture.

Spoon into buttered 8 inch square baking dish...cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from fridge and leave out for 15 minutes. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 45 minutes, or until knife inserted into middle comes out clean.

Serves 6 (Ha...... I could eat the whole thing myself. I might try sourdough bread in lieu of whole wheat)
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L
8 REPLIES 8

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Our daughter made this for our Baconalia July 4th reunion and used the potatoes instead of the bread. She did a shortcut by using frozen hash browns but it was still great.

This is one of those "Oma" recipes that uses up the small bits of ingredients that aren't enough for a full recipe. Nothing was left to waste and so grandmother would come up with a recipe to use it. Those were often the best tasting kind!

Frozen potatoes are one of the few supermarket shortcuts my way of eating allows. Minimally processed, inexpensive and little labor - what's not to like? :cool:

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
tonyandkaren wrote:
Sounds good! It's also called strata or breakfast casserole. A few years ago a friend invited us to lunch and made a strata which was a new eating experience for us. Since then I've made several. It's a great way to use stale bread and any leftover ingredients that you have on hand. You can add almost anything. We like to add vegetables but if you do saute them a bit beforehand to get rid of excess liquid.

Gotta love a nice strata for breakfast/lunch or dinner and it certainly falls into the "everything but the kitchen sink" casserole category.

I like your reminder that getting rid of excess liquid is important for a good foundation. Nothing like finding a film of liquid over a crock pot version to turn me in the direction of a different pot luck offering, LOL. The other nice part is sauteing first gives colour appeal:).

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good! It's also called strata or breakfast casserole. A few years ago a friend invited us to lunch and made a strata which was a new eating experience for us. Since then I've made several. It's a great way to use stale bread and any leftover ingredients that you have on hand. You can add almost anything. We like to add vegetables but if you do saute them a bit beforehand to get rid of excess liquid.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our daughter made this for our Baconalia July 4th reunion and used the potatoes instead of the bread. She did a shortcut by using frozen hash browns but it was still great.

This is one of those "Oma" recipes that uses up the small bits of ingredients that aren't enough for a full recipe. Nothing was left to waste and so grandmother would come up with a recipe to use it. Those were often the best tasting kind!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
bcsdguy wrote:
Noel wrote:
The name is SpeckunKasemitKartaffel.

Right name but spelled wrong. Bacon and cheese with potatoes.
speck und kase mit kartoffeln. Just sayin'

It came to me! In the French Alps it's called tartiflette.
Whatever the name it's delicious:).

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
Noel wrote:

Right name but spelled wrong. Bacon and cheese with potatoes.
speck und kase mit kartoffeln. Just sayin'
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
That recipe reminds me of a dish served in Alpine regions of Europe that also includes thinly sliced potatoes and cream instead of milk. Can't recall the name of it though.