cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Stove

tscholz1
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a propane stove that can be easily regulated. We have the basic Coleman which sounds like a jet plane when you start it and is hard to regulate. Looking at more expensive units if they are good operating. Not sure what to get. I would appreciate your recommendations. Thank you
Tod Scholz
2012 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Express 320BHDS
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD
9 REPLIES 9

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
So, when the regulator states that it provides 0 to 30 psi it is incorrect?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Ex-Tech wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
The secret to control on the big burner stoves is to use a variable psi regulator. A straight pressure regulator provides full blown pressure and the stove knobs can't deal with that. A variable psi regulator allows one to reduce gas flow before getting to the burner knobs.

Huh?
A propane regulator is designed to be set at a pressure of 11" columns. They are not designed to be adjusted other than when first installed.
Never heard the term "straight pressure".
Now if you are referring to the grill regulators that have a knob on them, this knob regulates the flow of gas AFTER the regulator section. It does not control pressure.
Stove "knobs" (valves) are designed to perform with that pre-set 11" columns of pressure.

Maybe we are talking about different things. My variable regulator has a dial on it that allows for adjustable gas flow. I'm speaking of large or bbq size tanks, not the small, 1 lbs cans.

We ar talking about the same thing. In your first statement you mentioned a variable "psi" regulator. PSI is pressure.
Now in your second response you mentioned the correct information that the FLOW is adjusted.
My point was that a regulator should never be adjusted form its preset 11" columns of pressure. Flow is a totally different thing.
Just wanted to be sure that someone doesn't use a standard regulator and then removes the dust cap to adjust PRESURE.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Ex-Tech wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
The secret to control on the big burner stoves is to use a variable psi regulator. A straight pressure regulator provides full blown pressure and the stove knobs can't deal with that. A variable psi regulator allows one to reduce gas flow before getting to the burner knobs.

Huh?
A propane regulator is designed to be set at a pressure of 11" columns. They are not designed to be adjusted other than when first installed.
Now if you are referring to the grill regulators that have a knob on them, this knob regulates the flow of gas AFTER the regulator section. It does not control pressure.
Stove "knobs" (valves) are designed to perform with that pre-set 11" columns of pressure.

Maybe we are talking about different things. My variable regulator has a dial on it that allows for adjustable gas flow. I'm speaking of large or bbq size tanks, not the small, 1 lbs cans.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
For clarification, that would be 11" wc or the equivalent pressure of an 11 inch column of water. It's less than 1/2 a psi.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:

Huh?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer

variable regulator

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
tscholz1 wrote:
I am looking for a propane stove that can be easily regulated. We have the basic Coleman which sounds like a jet plane when you start it and is hard to regulate. Looking at more expensive units if they are good operating. Not sure what to get. I would appreciate your recommendations. Thank you

I'm watching this thread. I too am tired of campstoves that have two settings...off and high. My buddy has an old sears sir edmund hillary model that is totally adjustable but I have not found another brand/model that is. Coleman doesn't have one. For what I've found you might as well get the $15 burner that screws onto a propane bottle. I too cook mostly over a fire, but campfire bans are so common now in the northwest having a propane backup is essential. I'm think of just dragging out one of my old liquid fuel colemans....those work!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double ditto on the Weber grills/stoves. We replaced it with a Weber E210 and it's doing a yeoman's job for our needs at our house.

For RV trips: Most of the time when we are camping we do Dutch Oven cooking on the campfire. For extended stays and large family gatherings we also have one of these that I bought on sale last February.
Camp Chef Pro 90

We gave our Coleman to a fundraiser yard sale because it was simply not meeting our needs.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

2Shays3712
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased an oven two burner stove at Costco a couple years ago and had it in the garage still in the box. Took it out a couple of weeks ago and really had fun baking cookies and cinnamon rolls. I haven't seen this item for several years at Costco, but you can find it on Outdoorcooking.com. We purchased a new Weber 1200 because our Coleman grill only had one burner with a grill. This oven/burner combo is much quieter. It's big, but fits in our basement fine. Take a look. I know what you mean about the jet noise of the Coleman.