cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick meal ideas for late night arrival?

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
I love cooking and take advantage of time in the RV with friends and family to make somewhat elaborate meals. But when we somewhere arrive Friday evening after work (sometimes around 8 PM if we had to work late and/or are going to a park a few hours away), I want something FAST!!! This recipe for sausage and potatoes has been great lately, but I'd love other ideas too. What do you make when you arrive somewhere late?
Me and wonderful DH
Previous #1: 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299BHS, 2007 Chevy Tahoe
Previous #2: 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1, 2008 Ford F-450 (full timed for two years)
Current: 2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL, 2004 Ford Excursion
54 REPLIES 54

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grilled cheese sandwiches. You can add tomatoes, mushrooms, ham, etc. if desired. Or add a bowl of soup.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Landroamer1
Explorer
Explorer
Hamburg BBQ is quick and easy too.
14 GMC 2500 HD D/A 2018 Wildcat 375 MC

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
The day before you go, cook a whole chicken or a family pack of thighs or breasts and throw together a macaroni or potato salad. Cold chicken and salad for dinner. Or cook a ham and eat for a week.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We will BBQ some hot dogs. Easy prep & clean up. but still campin.

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
I buy all ready cooked grilled fajita chicken at Walmart and flour tortillas. That heated up with a bit of cheese and salsa makes a good quick meal. You can also add refried beans and Spanish rice that just need heating as well.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Chili dogs!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
A pound or so of hamburger well browned followed by a can of refried beans and about a cup of salsa, all done up in a skillet then topped with grated cheddar cheese. Increase ingredient amounts according to crowd... Slap that puppy on the table next to a stack of tostada rounds and let folks dip up what they want.

A bowl of salad on the side, and it's a meal that even MY Mother would approve of!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
We have gone that option too (fast food, gone out to dinner, ordered pizza, etc.)... but some of the state parks we go to have pretty limited food options nearby, plus I enjoy cooking. I've tried casseroles that I can just throw in the oven while we are getting the RV setup, but the RV ovens are so bad that casseroles don't do very well in there! 🙂
Me and wonderful DH
Previous #1: 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299BHS, 2007 Chevy Tahoe
Previous #2: 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1, 2008 Ford F-450 (full timed for two years)
Current: 2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL, 2004 Ford Excursion

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
You probably won't like this, but when we had that problem, we always ate fast food that night.

Same here. If we weren't going to arrive in the early afternoon we generally stared looking for something close to the park that we could carry'
Subway and KFC got most of our money.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
You probably won't like this, but when we had that problem, we always ate fast food that night.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006